rbush

Where can my wife & I go shooting alone?

I live in Illinois, fairly close to Saint Louis, MO.

I'll start by saying I've been to a local gunshops indoor range (hated it, too small and crowded) and I've been to a state parks self policed outdoor range, which was very nice but also crowded.

Is there any way for my wife & I to go shooting somewhere private? I'm not sure if that's possible without owning property or knowing someone with property, but has anyone found a way to just enjoy a day of shooting by themselves? Know of somewhere in IL. that fits the bill? We don't mind a long drive.

I don't much like shooting with other people around, especially when there's a lot. But a big problem is other than the 2 ranges I've been to I don't even know of any others that aren't gun club related.

The outdoor range I've been to we went on the least busiest day and time and it was still filled up....just wish we could find some privacy and a solid place to shoot.

Edited by rbush

Maybe look for a small town witha rifle range...I usually have my towns range all to myself..unless it is pre deer season!

I have been trap shooting with my own little machine at Pyramid State Park.

It is reclaimed stip mine, so I would think you could find very good backstops for shooting.

It is in the Steelville area.

Make sure they have not been any new laws passed Jan 1 re guns and State Parks.

Our morally and fiscally bankrupt lawmakers have been very busy.

Hope this helps.

Check out PASA Park in Barry, IL..not sure if its private or public

Britney Range. It is just north of Bunker Hill. 159 to 138, take 138 towards 55, watch for the sign on the right. It is $40 a year for a family membership. Very nice people, and if you are a trap shooter, you will be a happy camper.

Give me a little better location as there are more in the area, but Britney is the cheapest.

I'll start by saying I've been to a local gunshops indoor range (hated it, too small and crowded) and I've been to a state parks self policed outdoor range, which was very nice but also crowded.

Is there any way for my wife & I to go shooting somewhere private? I'm not sure if that's possible without owning property or knowing someone with property, but has anyone found a way to just enjoy a day of shooting by themselves? Know of somewhere in IL. that fits the bill? We don't mind a long drive.

I don't much like shooting with other people around, especially when there's a lot. But a big problem is other than the 2 ranges I've been to I don't even know of any others that aren't gun club related.

The outdoor range I've been to we went on the least busiest day and time and it was still filled up....just wish we could find some privacy and a solid place to shoot.

There one near the airport in St. Louis and there one near Cape Gir. Mo. about 100 miles south of you at Applecreek that has a 300 yrs. range.

Look up PASA gun club, in Barry, IL, info @,

http://www.pasapark.com

I use that range during the week and usually there is no one else around. It is a private club.

Edited by Centurion

Ancient thread bump. If you don't mind a drive to Highland Illinois they have a decent 100 yard range at the Highland Gun Club. It's been a while since I've been there but used to go often. The cost is ten dollars for non members for all day use. They have/had a tube on the back of the club house to deposit money in. It's one the honor system since there is rarely anybody there.

You probably want to check out their web page and make sure it still works that way. Also they do have events from time to time which makes the range members only during those times. I think it's listed on their calendar on the web page. Back when I went there I was often the only person on the rifle range.