Objekt

A glimmer of hope for my Glock 20 reloading

I haven't had a lot of time for reloading since I went back to school last fall, but in the last 2 weeks, I finally got around to trying some 10mm loads with Blue Dot + cast lead in my Glock 20.

I've been trying loads with Blue Dot because I was unsatisfied with loads using Bullseye. Blue Dot doesn't seem to produce as much smoke, or leading. They are very different powders. The maximum with Bullseye is about 6 grains, where 10 grains is a starting load with Blue Dot, using a 170 gr. cast lead bullet.

An extra-heavy (22 lb. Wolff Gunsprings), aftermarket recoil spring made the gun a jam-o-matic with every Blue Dot load I tried. The gun simply would not run until I reinstalled the original recoil spring/guide rod assembly.

I've only fired a few dozen of the Blue Dot + cast lead loads so far, but today's results were promising. I went from a misfeed every 1 to 3 rounds with the extra-heavy recoil spring, to flawless function with the factory spring. Once finals are over, I intend to really test this load by making & firing a few hundred. It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it.

If I had any advice, it would be: Don't bother buying an aftermarket recoil spring for your Glock 20. You most likely don't need a heavier one, and will frustrate yourself and waste time & effort trying to make it work.

Edited by Objekt

I haven't had a lot of time for reloading since I went back to school last fall, but in the last 2 weeks, I finally got around to trying some 10mm loads with Blue Dot + cast lead in my Glock 20.

I've been trying loads with Blue Dot because I was unsatisfied with loads using Bullseye. Blue Dot doesn't seem to produce as much smoke, or leading. They are very different powders. The maximum with Bullseye is about 6 grains, where 10 grains is a starting load with Blue Dot, using a 170 gr. cast lead bullet.

An extra-heavy (22 lb. Wolff Gunsprings), aftermarket recoil spring made the gun a jam-o-matic with every Blue Dot load I tried. The gun simply would not run until I reinstalled the original recoil spring/guide rod assembly.

I've only fired a few dozen of the Blue Dot + cast lead loads so far, but today's results were promising. I went from a misfeed every 1 to 3 rounds with the extra-heavy recoil spring, to flawless function with the factory spring. Once finals are over, I intend to really test this load by making & firing a few hundred. It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it.

If I had any advice, it would be: Don't bother buying an aftermarket recoil spring for your Glock 20. You most likely don't need a heavier one, and will frustrate yourself and waste time & effort trying to make it work.

Friday, went to the range w/ my 1006 and G-20. I have always had better results w/ accuracy using a 200 gr fmj from Precision Delta. Used federal lp match grade primers. I tried 9.5 gr of Blue Dot and 9.5 grs of AA #7.

Had the stock springs in both and put the 20 lb spring w/ full length guide rod (both Wolffs) after a few rounds thru the G-20. No problems w/ the 20 lb m/s and the brass ended a few feet away rather than a few yards

Again the brass was ejected a few yards away w/ the standard m/s in the 1006 which I believe is 17 lbs. I put in a 20 lb spring in and the ejected brass was only a few feet away.

Neither pistol jammed and all the brass was in one general area.

The 20 seemed to like AA #7 and the 1006 liked B D

My preference with heavier loads is to use a heavier r/s but to each, his own.

Some of my best target loads were 10.2 to 10.4 grains of Blue Dot with my own cast Lyman 175 grain TCBB bullets and also (the same bullet with the HP) 156 grain Devastator HP from my S&W1006 and they are plenty accurate from the G-29. You need good lube & enough pressure to bump up the bullet base to seal the bore but not too much speed to lead the bore.

The S&W stock recoil spring is 18lb, I run mine using the 22lb from Wolff Gun Springs to keep ejected brass closer...

Some of my best target loads were 10.2 to 10.4 grains of Blue Dot with my own cast Lyman 175 grain TCBB bullets and also (the same bullet with the HP) 156 grain Devastator HP from my S&W1006 and they are plenty accurate from the G-29. You need good lube & enough pressure to bump up the bullet base to seal the bore but not too much speed to lead the bore.

The S&W stock recoil spring is 18lb, I run mine using the 22lb from Wolff Gun Springs to keep ejected brass closer...

S&W 10-series pistols may be a different matter. I have extra-strong recoil spring for them as well, but haven't tried the "new" Blue Dot loads in them yet.