GLShooter

WARNING ON DATA USAGE

TO ANY FORUM USERS REGARDING THIS AND ANY THREAD DISCUSSING RELOADING AND CARTRIDGE DEVELOPMENT.

ANY AND ALL LOADING DATA POSTED ON THIS BOARD OR SUGGESTIONS FOR LOADING DATA SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ONLY SUGGESTIONS.

THE SAFETY OF YOURSELF AND THOSE AROUND YOU REST SOLELY ON THE END USER. DATA POSTED, OR SUGGESTED,SHOULD BE EVALUATED AND, WHERE POSSIBLE, COMPARED TO RECOGNIZED MANUFACTURERS AND SUPPLIERS IN THE FIELD.

DATA ON NON-STANDARD CARTRIDGES OR EXPERIMENTAL ACTIVITIES SHOULD BE USED WITH CAUTION.

GREG

RELOADING ARMORY MODERATOR

Edited by GLShooter

Thought SAMMI Standards was the Bible.....

SAMMI

Given that there are SAAMI standards I agree.

I follow them for any published public data I put out on STANDARD cartridges. I also make sure that a disclaimer is mentioned in the text of my postings apropos to the loads.

Greg

Given that there are SAAMI standards I agree.

I follow them for any published public data I put out on STANDARD cartridges. I also make sure that a disclaimer is mentioned in the text of my postings apropos to the loads.

Greg

:thumb:

may wanna PIN it?

may wanna PIN it?

Yep

Greg

Hi,

Wildcat rounds by their nature are non SAAMI rated...Correct?

Sorry if that was a noob question.

Edited by AR15WildcatLover

Hi,

Yep, that is about as NEWB as you can get, HOWEVER.................... :welcome: to the best board on the net for BRD. This place is great for all the information and support that is available for the p princely sum of your participation. Glad to see you jumped in to a good one.

Yes, a wildcat is, by definition, one that is a non-standardized round and hence non-SAAMI speced. Oftentimes the "wildcat" is a very mild thing like blowing a shoulder forward about 0.010 or changing from a 23 to a 30 degree angle. Or it could be all the way to a neck up, shoulder blown forward and angle changed and loosing the taper of the body along with cutting off a belt or rebating the rim.

The most common form seen is the necking up, or down, of a parent case. The quintessential poster child on this is the 6X45. Merely running an expander through the neck of a 223 yields a 6 MM case neck and a round that will push a larger bullet at the same velocity as a smaller one in the 223. IE a 70 grain bullet in a 6X45 will match a 55 grain bullet in the 223 round for velocity and will have the resultant higher energy and often, a better BC.

The necking down is seen commonly also as in the 17/223 and 20/223 (20 Practical) You see some with a neck down and a shoulder moved back or forward like the 20 Tactical exhibits.

Nothing wrong with a wildcat chambering as long as they are approached with a fair amount of respect. I just read a description of them as " Building and feeding a wildcat is like having a pet tiger, the first time you get real comfortable and complacent with them and think everything is good with the world they have the potential of ripping your head off and putting it in their water bowl"

I work with wildcats all the time but I am cautious to a fault and am very careful to let it be known that they are wildcats and that EVERY one is a law unto itself.

Greg

PS: Once again, WELCOME.

Hi,

Which is why you don't mess around and view posted data on wildcats with caution.

There is a fair amount of liability in the publication of any reloading data. It is odd but very few people feel anything is their own fault today. It is expensive to defend yourself, even if you “win.”

Ed

8 minutes ago, Recondo 101 said:

There is a fair amount of liability in the publication of any reloading data. It is odd but very few people feel anything is their own fault today. It is expensive to defend yourself, even if you “win.”

Ed

Yep and who's to say that the guy pouring the powder can read a scale to boot.  Nothing is idiot proof in the process be it the actual cartridge  making or the data published or even the quality/condition of the firearm.

Greg

And even the actual ammo makers foul it up too.

4 minutes ago, Flesh Wound said:

And even the actual ammo makers foul it up too.

I've had three MAJOR occurrences that I was able to trace directly to bad brass shooting proven safe loads.  I have pictures to prove it to but the second hand loading gets in the picture you are on your own and a big company will eat you up in court.  Depending on which end of the stick you are on it can be areal mess for all involved.

Greg

Back years ago at our range we had two explosions by Federal 22 LR ammo. Federal was very good about it, replaced a Browning Buckmark silhouette clip, blew the base off and parts + ammo all over the firing line. Then replaced an Anchutz stock, explosion shattered the wood. Both were from the same lot and appeared to be the result of more primer than normal in the case. But they were very good about it. Hand loading would be a different situation.

Ed