Sign in to follow this  
NytWolf

Kimber magazine with golden saber

Do any of you have problems loading Underwood golden sabers into Kimber magazines?

With mine, it looks like the "square" profile of the golden saber bullet does not fit well with the curved front of the Kimber magazine. When trying to load the third cartridge into the magazine, the bottom round jams and I can't get anymore in. Even removing the top cartridge doesn't allow the loaded cartridges to come back up. This is a new magazine that came with the gun.

Any ideas how to alleviate this issue, or do I just have to use other hollow points in this magazine?

Do any of you have problems loading Underwood golden sabers into Kimber magazines?

With mine, it looks like the "square" profile of the golden saber bullet does not fit well with the curved front of the Kimber magazine. When trying to load the third cartridge into the magazine, the bottom round jams and I can't get anymore in. Even removing the top cartridge doesn't allow the loaded cartridges to come back up. This is a new magazine that came with the gun.

Any ideas how to alleviate this issue, or do I just have to use other hollow points in this magazine?

I've had this very same mag-jam issue with my Fusion custom 1911 longslide with certain handloads (usually the WFNGC loads at 1.26")... I've found that, with these particular bullets, I need to seat them down to 1.245" or so to make them reliable in Fusion (Mec-Gar and Metalform) mags. I suspect you're having an OAL problem, as well. I'd call Underwood and explain your issue. Maybe he'll find an issue with his OAL being too long... and maybe he's shorten up the rounds he sends you.

What you're experiencing does happen from time to time. Its not an issue with the mag, I don't think.

That's what I was thinking initially, the OAL. I was thinking there would be a different fix. Next time I'll ensure he makes them shorter for me. Meanwhile, looks like I'll have to use something else in my Kimber then.

Thanks.

FWIW, I ordered two MetalForm magazines from Brownells. The Golden Sabers feed fine in those. The magazines look identical to the Kimber.