Sign in to follow this  
laidlerj

Which new 10mm should I get?

I know this has been gone over a bunch of times in the past, but I wanted to put it out to the members again to get the most up-to-date opinions.

I'm seriously thinking about getting a 1911-style 10mm pistol. I have a Glock 20 and a S&W 1006 but I want to get another 10mm (yeah, I know, I'm crazy - I know). I've heard some bad news (on this forum and others) about the EAA Witness in 10mm, so I'm shying away from that one; I looked at the Nighthawk, but I'm not made of money. That leaves the Kimber and the Dan Wesson as current production 10mm pistols that I can find (and I've only seen one Dan Wesson, and not for long).

Here's what I'd like to hear:

[1] What current production 10mm pistols do people recommend and why?

[2] What about the Colt Delta? Is it still in production? Is it a good 10mm pistol (I can find them used pretty easily)?

Thanks in advance for everyone who offers to share their experience.

Jim

I have a Kimber Eclipse Custom II and I love it. It did have an out-of-spec slide stop. Kimber had a batch of slide stops manufactured by a subcontractor and they made it slightly too thick, which locks the slide open just like when you run out of ammo. When I found out about it, Kimber quickly sent me a new one which solved the FTL (fail to load) problems. It is accurate and fun to shoot. Oh and one more thing, the finish on it is not durable at all. Other than those two minuses, everything else about it is great.

As for the EAA Witness, if you like to tinker and take chances, it can be a great gun. You just have to polish the feed ramp, replace the springs, and exchange magazines (with EAA) to get it to work. Once it works reliably, it's a great gun. Can't beat the price. :smartass: And as for the slide cracking, it's not all of them. It is just a certain batch of them that had the problem, although if you call EAA, they don't know which series of serial numbers are the bad ones. The good thing is, they now acknowledge the problem and will replace your slide if it cracks on you. My serial number is at least 10k higher than the ones posted in the other thread, so I'm taking my chances.

Edited by NytWolf

I have the Kimber Stainless II Target, and I really love it.

I have the Kimber Stainless II Target, and I really love it.

I have 3 Delta Elites I boght 2 on Gb NIB and one from my LGS. The chamber support isn't as good as the Kimber or DW, but with the correct ammo they are great shooters.

I use Underwood Ammo 1240 FPS 180g GD HP. They work great and Underwood makes them for use in the Delta.

I like my DE. Fine gun IMO.

Look at EAA's Elite line of Witness Pistols. They come outta Tanfoglio's custom shop in Italy, starting with different parts even than the standard Witness line, which is out of Phl. The Elite Match and Elite Stock are more money, but are very well made and fitted guns, and will run right out of the box.

In current production 1911 I would go Kimber, or Fusion if you have the money.

+1 on the Elite Winess models! Very nice right out of the box and even better if you want to tinker or customize. On the Delta's....... again fine guns IMHO. I have had 9 different ones through the years starting the month they were released. Why so many? Well I would get one the way I liked it and some one would shoot it then keep begging to buy or trade, BUT...... I always can back and got another. My current Delta Elite has had 1500 or so full house Norma, Swamp Fox, Underwood etc. rnds. and at least that many factory box rnds. through and it tick's em' out like a Time-X. I carry it and switch off with my G20 for the last two tours with no issues. No more M9's for me ever again!

Capt. Thomas

I know this has been gone over a bunch of times in the past, but I wanted to put it out to the members again to get the most up-to-date opinions.

I'm seriously thinking about getting a 1911-style 10mm pistol. I have a Glock 20 and a S&W 1006 but I want to get another 10mm (yeah, I know, I'm crazy - I know). I've heard some bad news (on this forum and others) about the EAA Witness in 10mm, so I'm shying away from that one; I looked at the Nighthawk, but I'm not made of money. That leaves the Kimber and the Dan Wesson as current production 10mm pistols that I can find (and I've only seen one Dan Wesson, and not for long).

Here's what I'd like to hear:

[1] What current production 10mm pistols do people recommend and why?

[2] What about the Colt Delta? Is it still in production? Is it a good 10mm pistol (I can find them used pretty easily)?

Thanks in advance for everyone who offers to share their experience.

Jim

I have a Fusion longslide 1911 and have owned Kimber and Dan Wesson 10mm 1911's.... ALL were EXCELLENT firearms ... worthy of the 10mm cartridge, no problem.

You have the Glock and the Smith... a 1911 should definitely be next for you!

Get the Kimber or a DE. I own em' both. My DE is a 1989 model and like an old friend too.

Both will satisfy your 1911 10mm needs. The DW's are nice too and the Fusion's are awesome.

Are the 1911 type as reliable as Glock, especially w/ powerful hollow points, such as the Buffalo Bore cartridges?

I hear nothing but good about the glocks, but, IMHO, every handgun should have the 1911 trigger.

Every Kimber of Dan Wesson owner I have heard of has had great reliability with their 1911 10mm.

Mine is a Para P16-40 conversion, and it runs fine with one caveat. It does not like 175 Lee SWC ammo seated longer than 1.250". As long as I keep the COAL below 1.245" it runs that stuff too.

It is 100% with my 205 grain WFN, as well as a variety of Double Tap and Buffalo Bore offerings.

I would second everyone's opinion on the Dan Wesson, and Kimber [Eclipse, and Target II]. The Kimber's come with a few MIM parts [mainspring housing, slide-stop, etc.]. Which is no 'big deal'. I'm glad, I did the upgrades to my 1911's: ambi-safety, MSH replacement, and slide-stop. The S&W 610 revolvers in 10mm are also something you might consider.

I have been a 1911 fan all my life but I cannot say enough good things about the EAA Witness.

These guns simply run and run and run.

For 10mm I strongly suggest the Elite Match. See if you can find one without the stupid accessory rail which EAA thinks everyone should be forced to have on the latest models.

I have put severely nuclear loads through this gun with no problems (so far). I don't suggest/promote hot loads for daily use, but for carry, that's the reason to have a 10mm...

to send a fire breathing freight train at the bad guy.

Glad to see the good reports on the Witness Elite. I have a G20 and a G29SF and I just really like 10mm. How accurate do y'all find the Witness Elite compared to the Glocks...?

Hey there is a new 1911 style built by RIA have a look at cheaper than dirt site it $599

Rock Island Armory 1911 R1 Tactical II Semi Auto Handgun 5" Barrel 10mm Auto 8 Rounds G10 Grips Parkerized