Ag11

How Do Safeties work?

I'm sittin here looking at the guts of my lower and can't figure how on earth the safety selector being horizontal keeps the hammer from dropping. If it wasn't round and had a flat side I would assume that in one position it would block the mechanism and in the other position it would allow it to pass, but that's not the case and I need to be learned up.

The trigger mechanism with the sear on the top of it moves as one, so with the safety engaged it does not allow it to move releasing the hammer.

But what about the safety itself keeps the mechanism from moving? When I put it all together the only thing on the safety seemed to be the groove and places for the detent to seat.

But what about the safety itself keeps the mechanism from moving? When I put it all together the only thing on the safety seemed to be the groove and places for the detent to seat.

You answered your own question! :thumb:

The detent and spring under the receiver fits into the grooves and prevents it from moving.

Looks like I answered my own question twice. A flashlight helped me see that there is a flat spot.

Thanks fellers!

Looks like I answered my own question twice. A flashlight helped me see that there is a flat spot.

Thanks fellers!

The flat spot allows the tail of the trigger to move up and release the sear notch on the hammer. You may occasionally find a safety that needs to be modified for the proper clearance.

All the detent does is hold the safety in position.