Sign in to follow this  
sneak

1006 doesn't shoot like my 1076 (PICS INSIDE)

I picked up a 1006 from Gander Mountain in Rochester, MN a month or two ago. It came with a newer blue plastic box and five mags for $450. I had four brand new stock S&W mag springs, some used followers and a used mag spring from the magazines I have accumulated for my 1076. The 1076 was re sprung about a year ago with about 400-500 rounds through it. I also cleaned and lubed both pistols.

Last weekend I took them out shooting with the family. No one liked the Underwood Ammo practice rounds that I was using and my 1076 just about clocked my dad in the forehead with the front sight. What really threw me off though, was that the 1006 felt so much more uncontrollable than the 1076. It made me want to sell it!

I am using my 1076 as my every day carry pistol as I like the Sig style decocker and the DA/SA trigger. Is it even worth the time and money for me to re spring the 1006 to see if it makes me want to keep it, just to have it around?

Also, I finally have pictures of my 1076, and a little bit more now after 4 years.

IMAG0229.jpg

IMAG0227.jpg

IMAG0226.jpg

IMAG0228.jpg

IMAG0230.jpg

Nice pair of 10's!

That is a great price for a 1006 + mags!

Nice pair of 10's!

That is a great price for a 1006 + mags!

Thanks! I picked up the 1076 for, I believe, around $575 after shipping + the $15 transfer.

Haha, I agree! That's why I bought it even though I just picked up two Mosin Nagant rifles

and a can of ammo at Fleet Farm. I have yet to get the cosmoline off of them.

For some reason though the 1006 just feels like an entirely different pistol when fired. I just

don't know if it's just possible that the main spring and hammer spring are that worn out or

if I've just gotten so used to the 1076.

I also just took a basic defensive pistol class with the 1076 with really hot rounds. I kept

getting complained to. "Hand cannon" this, "hand cannon" that, "that loud dang thing." It

seems that everyone else there trusts 9mm and a few trust .40 S&W.

Do you know what spring is in the 1006? I run mine with the Wolff 22lb, to help absorb high impulse recoil but mostly to keep ejected brass in this universe, this also works with my 40S&W and 9x25Dillon conversion barrels and ammo.

If you're not experiencing any failures to pick up the next round, then mag springs should be fine.

At those prices I'd bought both of those guns! :124:

Do you know what spring is in the 1006? I run mine with the Wolff 22lb, to help absorb high impulse recoil but mostly to keep ejected brass in this universe, this also works with my 40S&W and 9x25Dillon conversion barrels and ammo.

If you're not experiencing any failures to pick up the next round, then mag springs should be fine.

At those prices I'd bought both of those guns! :124:

Hahahahaha, I'm glad I found them!

New(ish) stock strength spring in the 1076, but the 1006 probably has the original spring in it yet so it could be a bit weak.

I did have a failure to eject on the 1076. It seems that the extractor either didn't have a hold of the brass, or it bound and lost its grip. I thought that it was actually a double feed, but I was wrong. Although it was on the clip point yellow follower with the weakest mag spring that I have in all of my 11 mags.

Any thoughts on whether I should re spring it or just sell it?

Any thoughts on whether I should re spring it or just sell it?

Awe crap... I meant to edit... haha

Also Shadow, I looked through my emails and found that my 1076 was $555 before the transfer fee.

Item Title: Stainless Smith & Wesson 1076 S&W 10mm Pistol

Ending Date: 12/30/2009 12:35:10 PM

Quantity Won: 1

Winning Bid: $530.00 (per item)

Edited by sneak

I would get a new spring. The 1006 is a great gun. I have four of them. If you still don't like it someone on the forum will take if off your hands.

I looked up the cost of a spring kit and just decided to get the kit and be done with it.

If I am not able to sell it to one of the two people that I have managed to get interested in the smith 10xx series pistols, I will give you helpful fellas the next shot on it! :bootysmooch:

:thumb: i have that pair as well, truly great 10mms!