redbarron06

Question for the Texans

Thinking about picking up a pistol while I am going through the demob process at Ft Hood. I will have military orders assigning me to Ft Hood so I should be able to buy on those even though I am not a resident. Does TX have any kind of waiting period, or is it just over the counter after the instant background check is complete?

Thanks in advance.

No waiting period, just a check that takes maybe 15 minutes. No check if you have a CHL, but I honestly don't know if that's only for Texas residents, or if they honor whatever states we have reciprocity with. You shouldn't have a problem, though :thumb:

If they are anything like Arizona they either want to see a Teaxas DL or State ID with a Texas address on it before they will sell it to you. If that's the case you could mail it to your FFL. OR.....they will want to see you are on orders to the local installation since your active.

Edited by Gran Torino

If they are anything like Arizona they either want to see a Teaxas DL or State ID with a Texas address on it before they will sell it to you. If that's the case you could mail it to your FFL. OR.....they will want to see you are on orders to the local installation since your active.

Texas FFL's can and will sell to you providing you have your orders. As to Texas DL or ID... Nah. I still have my OK driver lic. I just show them my registration for my truck (registered to my TX address) and buy whatever I want.

As for the NICS check, they only accept a TX CHL for a pass on that. Otherwise everyone else has to do the NICS check.

Red, you should have no trouble buying a gun anywhere near base as all the gunshops in the area are used to dealing with military personnel.