Medic07

Help, CAR-A3 info needed.

When I shine a flashlight down the front of the handguard, I can see all the way to the receiver and I don't see and barrel nut that the handguard screws to....Is it possible that this handguard itelf acts as the barrel nut?

P.S. If ANYONE has a link to a youtube video or pics of this (Colt model CR6720) freefloating style handgard being removed, I would sure appreciate to see how this baby comes off and/or whats under it!

THANKS!

The back of the HG is the barrel nut. If it is one piece it is old school. If it is two it was the next step up and the front of the HG will unscrew from it them you take the part that is screwed on the upper off. The new three piece ones are better because you can move them from gun to gun and time them to keep your sling stud in the right place. The other two rarely let you do that and you end up with extra holes if you reuse them.

Greg

Thanks for the replies, but.....Here are some pics to help illistrate......I am still a bit confused how to simply remove it. I only see 1 piece externally.

CIMG1164_zpsf66f41d6.jpg

CIMG1168_zpsf9392b00.jpg

CIMG1169_zpsfe51fac0.jpg

CIMG1163_zps0d2f8693.jpg

Thanks for the replies, but.....Here are some pics to help illistrate......I am still a bit confused how to simply remove it. I only see 1 piece externally.

Most guys use an action block and a big strap wrench. Make sure you remove the gas tube and block!! And Righty is Tighty and Lefty is Loosey.

Greg

Edited by GLShooter

Ok, so my Troy/vtac alpha rail was Just shipped out from the factory, and is on the big brown truck as we speak! :snicker: I called Colt direct and asked about the factory handguard on my Cr6720......They said "there is a standard barrel nut under the handguard but it uses a bushing that attaches the handguard to the barrel nut". I asked whether the handrail is threaded or how does one remove the handguard and they said "We don't get that technical, as our techs don't go to the phone, and the factory doesn't install/replace custom handguards, so I'd have to find a gunsmith". I asked if there was schematics available to help a non-Colt gunsmith identify how to remove this bushing/barrel nut assembly and, of course, "no such schematic is available from Colt". I thought I had it figured out that I would simply unscrew the handguard and install a new barrel nut...but now I'm not sure, as it sounds to be a two piece assembly....

.....GLShooter does this sound familiar?....P.S.(unrelated order) I Told George @ BTE "you sent me"......be sure you get a free t-shirt! :bye:

Ok, so my Troy/vtac alpha rail was Just shipped out from the factory, and is on the big brown truck as we speak! :snicker: I called Colt direct and asked about the factory handguard on my Cr6720......They said "there is a standard barrel nut under the handguard but it uses a bushing that attaches the handguard to the barrel nut". I asked whether the handrail is threaded or how does one remove the handguard and they said "We don't get that technical, as our techs don't go to the phone, and the factory doesn't install/replace custom handguards, so I'd have to find a gunsmith". I asked if there was schematics available to help a non-Colt gunsmith identify how to remove this bushing/barrel nut assembly and, of course, "no such schematic is available from Colt". I thought I had it figured out that I would simply unscrew the handguard and install a new barrel nut...but now I'm not sure, as it sounds to be a two piece assembly....

.....GLShooter does this sound familiar?....P.S.(unrelated order) I Told George @ BTE "you sent me"......be sure you get a free t-shirt! :bye:

I would just drop by a 'smith and ask him for advice but I suspect once you get the guards off it should not be an issue.

Greg

PS: Thanks for the ataboy with BTE for me.

The Colt free float tube you have is also a barrel nut. It is all one piece.

You will need a couple strap wrenches, upper receiver action block, heat gun or hair dryer, and a not necessary but may help Midway part number 497211.

Make sure that at least one of your strap wrenches has a woven nylon strap. If you use a rubber strap for your secondary wrenches, make sure it is a large heavy rubber strap. (I have had to use 3 strap wrenches before)

Assuming you already have the gas block and gas tube removed, put your upper in the action block and tighten down in your vise. Now apply heat, you aren't trying to get it red hot, just getting it warm enough to help break it loose. You may want to mask off the area of the tube where you are putting the strap wrenches so you won't scratch the Colt tube. If you do choose to use the handguard tool I metioned above, It will slightly scratch the inside of the holes of the Colt tube.

The handguard tool WILL NOT break the tube loose using it by itself. It isn't heavy made enough to do so. It will only assist with the strap wrenches. And as long as you have good strap wrenches, you won't even need the handguard tool.

Like most manufacturers, Colt will have used anti-seize grease on the barrel nut threads. Once you break it loose it will unthread with ease.

After you get the barrel nut heated up, put the strap wrenches close towards the barrel nut end of the tube. If a third wrench is used, put it about midway on the tube. You may want a second person to help handle the wrenches.

Now start turning counter clockwise as you would look down the barrel towards the receiver.

I have removed some with little effort.... and some using great effort. If yours is threaded on over 50 ftlbs, you will wrestle with it a bit. Make sure your action block is snug in the vise.

Good luck friend, you will do fine.

If you need anymore help just DM me again.

And fyi (you may already know this) but you will need a mil-spec barrel nut to install your Alpha rail.

Paul

Paul,

Thank you VERY MUCH for all the information!!! I will post pics as soon as the job is done! :beerchug:

Paul,

Thank you VERY MUCH for all the information!!! I will post pics as soon as the job is done! :beerchug:

You are welcome,

one more thing I forgot to mention, you may need to use a small cheater bar with your strongest made strap wrench.

Paul

Gaarrrrrrrrrgh...I'm sill waiting for a standard barrel nut to finish this build (Thats ALL I need).....maybe someday, the parts gods will open their hoards to release to the masses.?

Here is the railed handguard I want to install..........as soon as my standard barrel nut arrives (ordered over a month ago)! CIMG1173_zps9adb4414.jpg

P.S. giddieup, have you ever broken a receiver vise while attempting to loosen this style handguard? I ask cause a new menber is having difficulties from the smith he took it to.

I have been having the same problem with mine. I tried to no avail and took it to a gunsmith who broke his gun vise trying to get it off for me. I have broken one strap wrench tring to get mine off. I tried heating it last weekend and still no luck. I will try your methods and see if I am success full. My quad rail and Diamondhead sights are getting tired of sitting in a box. I called Colt to ask about it and they wouldn't offer much help, but the guy I spoke with told me that they don't use any loctite or the like on their threads. I would have to disagree with them,or they use gorilla's to tighten them.

Edited by jlindy

Awesome!....Just got a shipping notice from Troy Ind. My barrel nut is on its way(this is the 1st one to get shipped out of 2 others ordered from other manufactures :Noneya: ), this project might get movin' again.

If they are so tight that they do not come off with a little heat and no thread locker was used....I'd be highly concerned about stretched threads on the upper.

Hello,

I just bought the same rifle. I'm interested in putting on the exact same troy battle rail. Let me know how it goes and also post some pics. I want to use mine for service rifle matches. So I think, the easiest thing for me to do is take the low profile gasblock off and replace it with a standard A2 gasblock/front sight. Let me know how easy it was for you to remove the gas block.

Thanks,

I know this thread is a few years old now but was there any ever resolution to getting the hand guard off? Have the same rifle and having the same dilemma. Thanks!