I'm not a Smith kind of guy, but wanted to know which one/ones would be the best to get. Not counting the 610. I've seen 1006,1046 and 1076 but what would be the order in rarity to search for?

There were 6 Smith 10mm varients made. (of the semi-autos) Listed from highest qty. mfg. to lowest.

1046 very rare only 151 made.

There is a full list of quantities published here somewhere but I could not find it. I think it origionaly came from the Bren Ten site.

The 1006 is probably the best shooter. They are also the easiest to find as they were the most produced.

Smith & Wesson 10mm pistols

1006 - 26,979 units produced 1990-93

1076 - 13,805 units produced 1990-93

1066 - 5,067 units produced 1990-92

1026 - 3,135 units produced 1990-91

1086 - 1,660 units produced 1990-92

1046 - 151 units produced 1991 (only)

Alright thanks, guess I'll have to see if the 1046 is still for sale.

Sometimes things are rare for a reason. For use, the 1046 just doesn't make any sense. When someone desires a DAO pistol, it is normally for defensive situations. In those situations, people generally desire a shorter barrel. For people like me that have the full S&W collection, it was a natural desire to fill out the collection. However, most agree for use the 1006 is probably best for the range and hunting and the 1076 probably the best for carry.

That said, because of its rarity, the 1046 will always have a value to us collectors.

Sometimes things are rare for a reason. For use, the 1046 just doesn't make any sense. When someone desires a DAO pistol, it is normally for defensive situations. In those situations, people generally desire a shorter barrel. For people like me that have the full S&W collection, it was a natural desire to fill out the collection. However, most agree for use the 1006 is probably best for the range and hunting and the 1076 probably the best for carry.

That said, because of its rarity, the 1046 will always have a value to us collectors.

So where would be the best place to sell something like a 1046 that doesn't appeal to the average shooter? I have a chance to aquire one and can't get a good idea of the value. Frustrating because I'm more interested in its trade value.

The best place to sell one would be the auction sites like gunbroker. There are very few transactions as there are so few guns. I have seen one go for like $600 on a forum perhaps 12 years ago (was gone in less than an hour). I have also seen them sell for well over $3000 in NIB condition with all the origional trappings on Gunbroker.

I would certainly buy another 1046 if you get it and want to sell. If you simply know of who has one, I pay finders fees for certain guns if it results in a purchase. I would pay a finders fee for the following (in no particular order) items in mint condition:

S&W 11 and/or 15 round magazine for the S&W 10xx line

S&W 1046

Springfield Linkless

Springfield Omega Match (that says Omega Match on the slide; not the ones people call match just because they have the NM prefix)

Dan Wesson Razorback

Dan Wesson Officer/commander

Benelli M3 folder with 18.5" barrel and extended full length mag tube

Para-Ordinance 16-40 either converted to 10mm, or with an additional 10mm barrel

Springfield M6 .22lr/410 in stainless steel

Norell trigger pack for a 10/22

NIB Remington 552 BDL Deluxe high gloss .22 short, long, and long rifle

Remington Sendero SF (stainless fluted) version 1 (not the newer one with black in the fluting)

Mossberg JIC (Just in Case) Mariner (stainless)

Marlin 70PSS Papoose - stainless/synthetic with factory bag and take down tool.

Star Megastar blued in mint condition with box.

Other interesting 10mm conversions