Sign in to follow this  
Medic07

Good gunsmith wanted

Does anyone recommend or know of a good EXPERIENCED black rifle gunsmith in or near central Iowa? I know Scheels(Des Moines) has in house smiths but question their experience, and they say to "drop off you gun and we will let ya know when its done, maybe in a couple or few weeks"....I'd prefer a smith that I could talk to/be involved with the process. Has anyone ever had Scheels work on any guns, especially an AR?

What's the issue? There might be some guys here that can help.

Yep what's up... How close are you to Omaha?

Oh, I wanna replace a free floating handguard with an aftermarket Troy/VTAC alpha rail...........I have received MUCH help from others off the forums,but no one has worked on this exact type/model before,so I was looking for someone with experience with it. I have the new Colt CAR-A3 elite accurized match rifle (model CR6720) and the freefloating factory handrails seem to be one piece, and act as the barrel nut itself. I was about to put it in a receiver vise and crank away with strap wrenches until someone added to my original posting that they tried the same (even added the torch :beeler: ) with no luck getting it to budge.....that's what made me start looking for an experienced smith BEFORE I do anything to bugger it up.

....I live about an hour northeast of Des Moines and I work near Cedar Falls/Waterloo.

Thanks guys for the interest/help!

Hmm that hand guard should not have been that tight and did the guy doing the cranking inspect for a set / locking screw, also if they are that tight an you can get the rail / barrel nut to come off in one piece just be sure to remove the gas tube and gas block first.

see, I told you someone would be along to help.

Hmm that hand guard should not have been that tight and did the guy doing the cranking inspect for a set / locking screw, also if they are that tight an you can get the rail / barrel nut to come off in one piece just be sure to remove the gas tube and gas block first.

wow, the input has been thorough, I'm just gonna break down to let scheels deal with it....unless I find others that will help out if I need it.............when it comes to this build I want to see one,do one, then teach many