AR15Armory.com

.40SW rechambering

LCpl Lambo

This may sound like a dumb question but, I recently came into contact with an HK MP5/40 and I was wondering if it would be possible to rechamber the weapon to fire 10mm. And if so where would my best bet to have this done be that isn't going to cost me an ass hole and a fortune to do. Thanks

I dont know that that would be a good idea... The 10mm has a MUCH higher pressure that the .40 S&W, by rechambering to a 10mm by simply reaming out the chamber I think you would be removing a substantial amount of material in a crucial area.

The 10mm auto does NOT have "MUCH higher pressure" than the 40S&W.

10mm Auto is SAAMI spec at 37,500, and the 40 is 35,000. About the only factory loads that may exceed 40S&W pressure are Underwood and maybe some Buffalo Bore.

Regardless of the ammo though, rechambering a 40 S&W gun to 10mm is a relatively trivial as long as the action/magazines are long enough to accomodate the longer round. My every-day carry is a Para Ordnance P16-40 converted to 10mm by reaming the chamber. Cost me $35 + the cost of the reamer since one was not readily available.

The MP5 may be a bit trickier since it has a fluted chamber. Maybe someone can chime in about whether these can be reamed.

I dunno about the chamber reaming, but I would think finding magazines the right size would be the first challenge. After that, maybe the magwell won't be large enough to accept them? I don't know.

They used to MAKE the MP5 in 10mm, if you are set on having one, that may be your best bet.

I've spent the last few years looking for an MP5/10 and this MP5/40 is the closest I have been able to find so far. I mean I would prefer having it in the 10mm but I am willing to settle for the .40SW because I know it's just a necked down 10mm. The magazines wouldn't be too much of a problem because I can still get them directly from HK, just expensive. I think now that you mentioned it I'm going to send HK an email about rechambering and if the magazine wells are the same size between the .40 and the 10. And a very big thank you to all of you who put in your advice about it. It has helped alot in my research. Again thank you.

• 4 years later...