Ag11

Texas CHL Wait Times

It's been a little over a month now. Anyone applied recently?

Renewed mine last year. Wait times then were running about 35-45 days from the time the packet was received until plastic was in hand. Mine took 39 days. Some people are saying 60 days, but someone in another thread said theirs took about 49 days when they submitted theirs a couple of months ago.

You can also check the status of your packet on the DPS website.

You probably have it by now but mine took 50 days mailbox to mailbox. Sent out in mid January of this year.

Edited by CheapBassturd

Wow. I'm a few months away from moving to Texas and I'm glad to know the wait time in advance. I'm used to walking into the Sheriff's office with a $20 bill and walking out fifteen minutes later with the card. I guess that is not gonna happen in Texas.

Wow. I'm a few months away from moving to Texas and I'm glad to know the wait time in advance. I'm used to walking into the Sheriff's office with a $20 bill and walking out fifteen minutes later with the card. I guess that is not gonna happen in Texas.

Nope, it won't be that easy here. As gun friendly as everyone thinks Texas is, we don't have as good of CHL laws as some other places. We are Shall Issue, but we don't have open carry, and the process for getting a license is full of hoop jumping. And obviously, waiting.

wow, im in colorado and i took my class on feb 23 and had my permit in hand march 28. in colorado ccw instructors are have no problems filling their classes, most have at least a month to six week waiting list for each class.

Wish we had that in illinois

in ohio i took a one day/12hour class on saturday, applied at the sherrifs office on monday and received my permit the following monday for 9 days total class to permit! i don't think it gets any better than that. :)

In Fl. you can get fast tracked if you take your packet directly to the Department of Agriculture (yeah, I don't know why they're in charge either), but otherwise, the law says you get the permit inside of 90 days. If you go direct (and pay extra for elctronic finger prints), its supposed to be inside of a month or less. I just mailed mine in in and it was almost six weeks.

If they reciprocate with Al. they might just hand you one, and even if they don't, your existing permit should still be good. Check first though.

After taking the course here in NE., you go to the state patrol office and give them $100....then wait 7-10 weeks. :screwloose:

The wait is over 90 days here in NM as we are seeing record numbers of applicants NMDPS has to process.

If they reciprocate with Al. they might just hand you one, and even if they don't, your existing permit should still be good. Check first though.

That's not how it works in Louisiana. Used to, if you had a Florida license, it was recognized, even if you were a Louisiana resident. Not any more. If you live in Louisiana, you better have a Louisiana license. We still recognize Florida 's license, just not if you are a resident. I think they saw how much money they were losing down in Red Stick.

And now for a quick update: My TX CHL took 72 days. Submitted all the paperwork on March 22nd.