rzeppy

Anybody with better luck than I on handgun ammo?

Just picked up a Ruger SP101 the other day. Never have and still dont have any problem getting .40 s&w rounds but the minute I try to find a different caliber round... well. Anybody see any in stock anywhere? .38/.357 fmjs for range is what im looking for.

I'd think those would be easier to find than 9mm or .45 ??

I have seen them in my store as recently as this week.

Thanks Pepper! I was getting sick of reading "out of stock" :laugh:

The stores in my town have COMPLETELY empty shelves except for .40 cal. zip zero nada

I saw some .38 last night on either ammotogo or Cabelas.

Walked into Wal-Mart last night about 10 and there was three boxes of 100 rnd. Tula Brass in 9mm sitting on the shelf. So I got them. $22 a piece. I've never shot it before, but one day when I get back out to the range, I'll let you know how it does.

I was sure that I'd never buy Tula stuff, and now I've bought it twice in one week. :unsure:

With all of the capitol pent up in this country,

why there are no major expansions of ammo companies, or new state of the art manufacturers coming on line is beyond me. The firearms business is one of the few bright spots in this dismal economy.

Nobody wants to start up a business that they fear will be shut down by the government or sued because of some idiot shooting themselves in foot. As usual all the good manufacturing jobs will go to an overseas company.

With all of the capitol pent up in this country,
why there are no major expansions of ammo companies, or new state of the art manufacturers coming on line is beyond me. The firearms business is one of the few bright spots in this dismal economy.

Nobody wants to start up a business that they fear will be shut down by the government or sued because of some idiot shooting themselves in foot. As usual all the good manufacturing jobs will go to an overseas company.

That's a small part of it. There are startups out there, but the machinery to make ammunition on a large scale is expensive. So are the government mandated building requirements and storage requirements for large quantities of primers, powder, and loaded ammunition. Also given the fact that the demands like this are fairly few and far between, it's not necessarily a license to print money. This panic will be over in another few months, and prices will pretty much be back to normal. I hope they didn't ramp up production to insane levels, or make huge investments in machinery or skilled labor. If they did, when demand falls, those companies could be hurt pretty badly. Now then, if this demand stays high for the next year, and shows no sign of slowing down, I'd bet that they start making some bold moves. But right now, I wouldn't bet the farm that this was going to continue long enough to realize a profit from such a large expense.

I bought some Tula .45 ammo from a buddy that needed cash for really cheap a couple years ago along with some other other steel ammo that I have since parted with, Well, I got a chance to try out this steel crap and it gouged the shat outta my feed ramp on my newly acquired .45 (boat anchor blah blah Hi-point, I don't wanna hear it) so now I have it in pieces waiting for the chance to take the time to polish the feed ramp. I do not have any firearm in my collection that will shoot steel, i'm done with it, it's not worth saving a few bucks to spend more fixing problems that occur with it.

Around these parts, 9mm goes first followed by .45 ACP, then .40 S&W, and then .375. Range ammo goes the first and then the defense rounds.

Heck, 9mm is almost as mythical as the fabled .22lr.

40 is pretty easy find, brass 9mm is a tough one. 22 is rare. Glad I have dies for everything. Just cant shoot like I like too

Just bought 1000 rds of .40 for $600 delivered. Seems like a decent deal...considering I have nothing but 50 rds of duty ammo left... Thanks for the link to the gunbot search.

i've had good luck recently buying defensive and hunting ammo from Doubletap directly. they prefer selling it directly to you at retail prices rather than to their distributors at wholesale prices. tell them you want the "Guntalk" radio show 10% discount.