drck1000

Are you cross eyed? Eye dominance opposite of dominant hand.

Who is cross eyed? :laugh:

I mean where your dominant eye is opposite from your dominant hand. Are you right handed, but left eye dominant?

If you are, how do you shoot handguns and how do you shoot long guns?

Since I started teaching (basic handgun and carbine locally), I was surprised at how common it was to come across "cross eyed" people. I thought I read somewhere that as much as 20% of people are cross hand/eye dominant.

Are you like Larry Vickers who is left eye dominant and shoots long guns lefty and shoots handguns righty?

I've seen where people sort of cock their head to shoot handguns to get their dominant eye over to the side of their dominant hand. Most indicate that that's how they grew up doing it. I typically have them try shifting the gun over as opposed to cocking their head.

For long guns, I've noticed that the majority of young people and women do well shooting with their non-dominant hand. Men, particularly those with some experience shooting seem to have trouble shooting with their non-dominant eye.

Anyways, what're your experiences with cross hand/eye dominance?

I am. Left eye dominate right handed. my brother in law is the opposite. long gun wise I notice no difference going weak arm. pistols different story lol

I am. Left eye dominate right handed. my brother in law is the opposite. long gun wise I notice no difference going weak arm. pistols different story lol

Do you shoot long guns left handed and handguns righty?

If you shoot handguns righty, do you shift the gun over to your left eye?

When I shoot long guns and I switch to shooting left (I'm right handed), I just slightly close or wink my right eye and my left eye finds the dot and keeps it until I break it.

I would expect if I shot handguns lefty that my accuracy would be at least 2x the size shooting righty.

I'm crosseyed, I shoot right handed long guns and pistols. I noticed that if I am shooting rifles awhile though I need an eye patch to cover my left eye for long guns.

I am left eye dominate, right handed. I shoot pistols right handed and long guns left handed. I don't buy left handed rifles however.

Do you shoot long guns left handed and handguns righty?

If you shoot handguns righty, do you shift the gun over to your left eye?

When I shoot long guns and I switch to shooting left (I'm right handed), I just slightly close or wink my right eye and my left eye finds the dot and keeps it until I break it.

I would expect if I shot handguns lefty that my accuracy would be at least 2x the size shooting righty.

Yes I do,

I don't took me a long time to break myself of that. If I'm practicing snap shooting I find myself doing that.

I've brought myself to keeping both eyes open all the time even under magnification.

I'm horrible with my left hand shooting pistol. Rifle its a not noticeable but I started shooting right handed and around 17ish I figured out I was cross eye dominate.

I am left eye dominate, right handed. I shoot pistols right handed and long guns left handed. I don't buy left handed rifles however.

This even my bolts are right handed. I dont know what I would do with a left handed rifle.

I'm crosseyed, I shoot right handed long guns and pistols. I noticed that if I am shooting rifles awhile though I need an eye patch to cover my left eye for long guns.

Does your left eye try to take over or something? Do you lose clear sight picture?

I guess it would be different if you shot with a scope.

When you shoot pistols, do you shift the gun over to align with your left eye?

Yeah, I would think left ARs and bolt guns are tough to come by.

Left eye dominant, right handed too. Shoot long guns left handed; pistols are shot right handed, I just shift pistols to my dominant eye. Not a bit akward as I have been doing this all my life. All of my bolt guns are left handed (Remmy 700s and Savage 110 DL) as are my ARs (Stags)... all of my pistols are semi-autos, no wheel guns as of yet. I shoot my lever action Winchester 30-30 left handed also. Shotguns are O/U and Browning BPS (bottom eject) and shot left handed with my dominant eye....

Edited by ewallover

The military used to teach shooting right handed to every one. Then, the AR/M16 came out. Whoops! Cases ejecting into the face when the tried shooting lefty. Because of some lawsuit they had to allow left handed shooting by then. So, the detachable brass deflector that clipped onto the carry handle. With the advent of the A2, we ended up with that warthog bump on the side of the rifle.

Eye dominance issues can be trained away. It just takes time and putting a patch over the strong eye to strengthen your brains perception of the weak eye.

The military used to teach shooting right handed to every one. Then, the AR/M16 came out. Whoops! Cases ejecting into the face when the tried shooting lefty. Because of some lawsuit they had to allow left handed shooting by then. So, the detachable brass deflector that clipped onto the carry handle. With the advent of the A2, we ended up with that warthog bump on the side of the rifle.

Eye dominance issues can be trained away. It just takes time and putting a patch over the strong eye to strengthen your brains perception of the weak eye.

Ok. Fair enough. I also understand that there are people who can switch eye dominance back and forth pretty much at will. A-something or other. I can switch with a quick wink of my right eye. That said, I am just surprised that cross hand/eye dominance is so common. Look here, we already have a number of Armory members who are so.

I personally don't see a "need" to switch dominant eyes. There are ways to manipulate the gun being right handed and left eye dominant and that's what I want this thread to be about.

Left eye dominant, right handed too. Shoot long guns left handed; pistols are shot right handed, I just shift pistols to my dominant eye. Not a bit akward as I have been doing this all my life. All of my bolt guns are left handed (Remmy 700s and Savage 110 DL) as are my ARs (Stags)... all of my pistols are semi-autos, no wheel guns as of yet. I shoot my lever action Winchester 30-30 left handed also. Shotguns are O/U and Browning BPS (bottom eject) and shot left handed with my dominant eye....

That's right. I recall your lefty bolt gun. First time I saw a left handed bolt gun, I thought being a righty with bolt on the left side would be cool so that you don't have to remove your hand from the gun to work the bolt, but I quickly realized that you'd have to move your melon out of the way to run the bolt. :laugh:

I am left eye dominant and right handed. I've always shot right handed for both pistols and rifles. I do find myself shifting my pistol over to the left slightly. It has taken some training and practice to shoot with both eyes open. I do still find myself closing my left eye on occasion, especially when using optics.

I am left eye dominant and right handed. I've always shot right handed for both pistols and rifles. I do find myself shifting my pistol over to the left slightly. It has taken some training and practice to shoot with both eyes open. I do still find myself closing my left eye on occasion, especially when using optics.

How do you shoot an AR with a red dot? If you have one, do you have any trouble seeing the dot since you're left eye dominant?

How do you shoot an AR with a red dot? If you have one, do you have any trouble seeing the dot since you're left eye dominant?

I do have one and I have trouble sometimes. It really helps me to do a quick left eye blink to get my brain to refocus using my right eye.