drck1000

AR15 Accessories: Tango Down IO Optic Cover for Aimpoint Micro

Tango Down IO Optic Cover for Aimpoint Micro

Tango Down recently released their Model IO-001 Optic Cover for Aimpoint Micros.  It replaces the bikini covers that come with the Aimpoint Micros.  They provide a protective cover with lens caps built in with the cover and can be operated with one hand.  Once the caps are open, they can be snapped together to keep them out of the way of the optic.  It provides a convenient method of providing protection to the lenses from dust, debris, water, etc.  The bikini covers are easily lost and even if stowed on the base of the mount for the Aimpoint Micro, it can be a little cumbersome.    The cover was really easy to install and the fit is pretty much right on.  Once installed, the body of the cover nor the caps obscure the optic nor controls, including the caps for windage and elevation adjustment.  The cover is very light and doesn't add any significant bulk to the body of the optic.    The covers currently come in Black, FDE, and OD Green.  Additional colors may already have been released.  If ordering from Tango Down, include a request to ship via USPS in the comments section and they will revise the shipping charges.  I ordered two IO covers and a BG-16 grip and the shipping via USPS was around $6.    Thank you for taking the time to read this review.  I will update as I use the gun with the cover installed more often.          Allows full access to all of the controls.                    Covers when snapped together and keeps them out of the way.          Covers when open.          Covers when closed to protect the lenses.          Doesn't obscure the view through the optic.             

• Author
  • Category
  • Submitted
    04/27/2013 04:35 AM

Nice, I would not mind giving a set a try.

Nice, I would not mind giving a set a try.

Now that I've had a chance to use the gun with the IO cover, all of my future Aimpoint Micros will wear one. They are inexpensive and very convenient. With the bikini covers, I usually end up putting them either in my pocket or on my primary AR where I leave the T-1 on, I leave the cover off. I don't care for having it on the base of the mount.

I wouldn't go so far to call it an essential item as I believe the Aimpoint would do just fine without any cover. However, having had the IO cover on during a recent carbine class in Alaska, I will say that it comes in real handy. I can see where if you had your AR with you and walking through muddy conditions, say for a hog hunt or something, you'd want to have the abiility to protect the optic from the mud splatter, but also where it's easy to take off should a hog present itself suddenly. Not a big deal with pulling the bikini cover off, but then with the IO cover, you don't have to worry about where it goes as it's always with the optic.

During the carbine class, the first day it was snowing pretty heavily. In the times between shooting drills, where we were standing around listening to the instructor, I could close the back cover to prevent snow from building up on the optic lens. Then when we were ready to shoot, pop it open, lock the covers together and you had a clear optic. I can see how that would be really convenient in other conditions such as dry and dusty. One improvement would be for a clear back cover, like available for the Comp M4s and M2 series where you are able to shoot with the covers closed where if you shoot with both eyes open, the dot is transposed over the target even when the front cover is closed.

I'm jealous, you got a picture/instructions with yours :D: I've had 2 of em for a while now, me likes em....and the guy who developed em is on another forum I'm on & watching the development was quite interesting and enlightening. The stock bikini cover's suck and tend to stretch out & rot/break and are just worthless over time unless the rifle is a safe queen..

Edited by Rampy

I'm jealous, you got a picture/instructions with yours :D: I've had 2 of em for a while now, me likes em....and the guy who developed em is on another forum I'm on & watching the development was quite interesting and enlightening. The stock bikini cover's suck and tend to stretch out & rot/break and are just worthless over time unless the rifle is a safe queen..

Instructions? I actually got tips on his to out them on from a friend that was involved in the testing of the prototypes. I read that thread that you mentioned as well. The covers really are easy to put on.

These covers really are well designed and thought through. I'm surprised I didn't lose the bikini covers that came with the two T-1s that I currently have, but not an issue anymore. Will have to see how they hold up over time. I have friends in Alaska who have been beating on these for a while now and they seem to be holding up just fine so far.

Instructions? I actually got tips on his to out them on from a friend that was involved in the testing of the prototypes. I read that thread that you mentioned as well. The covers really are easy to put on.

These covers really are well designed and thought through. I'm surprised I didn't lose the bikini covers that came with the two T-1s that I currently have, but not an issue anymore. Will have to see how they hold up over time. I have friends in Alaska who have been beating on these for a while now and they seem to be holding up just fine so far.

Ahh, I was ASSuming the cool little cardboard thing with a picture & model number had instructions on the back, my bad........mine came in a box with nothing....they were all alone and scared..... :tongue: :tongue: Course I got em at the pre production price so I'm not beotching ....and now they come in cool colors :tiphat: :tiphat: