popeye

You Just Shot Someone, Now What?

This is a good, short reminder and refresher, just in case you have to shoot someone.

We use a well-staffed Law Firm with financial resources, as opposed to a 'Store-Front-PI Lawyer'.

But this simple summary may save your neck: http://thegunwriter.blogs.heraldtribune.com/13244/post-shooting-advice-from-a-legal-expert/

Good article, thanks for posting.

Another thought on this, wonder if any of our member LEOs would add or change any of the recommendations.

the only thing i didnt like was that he said to call yout "trusted person" first, before 911....

I would call 911 first, make it short and to the point like he explained in the artical, THEN after you have hung up with the dispatcher, call your "trusted person".....

i could see a prosecutor saying that you were so excited that you just shot someone you decided to call your "buddy" while the sweet, wouldnt hurt a fly, bad guy bleeds to death, before you called the police.

if i shoot someone, that person immediately becomes my responsibility, I want to be able to say that i didnt want to kill him, i wanted to stop the threat. as soon as he was no longer a threat, i immediatly called 911 to get him EMS.

As odd as it may sound what about administering first aid especially if you are certified in cpr or are an off duty ems?

As odd as it may sound what about administering first aid especially if you are certified in cpr or are an off duty ems?

thats not odd at all, if you are certified, and you feel that at that point the "bad guy" is no longer a threat.....it will a good idea to do something.

There is an entire book dedicated to this topic entitled "After You Shoot: Your gun's hot ,The Perp's not. Now What?" :yukyuk:

http://www.amazon.com/After-You-Shoot-Your-Perps/dp/1889632260

............I bet GZ wished he had read a copy.

Interesting description of the book on Amazon:

"Dial 911 and fry. You re gasping for air. You just stopped a would-be murderer cold with your sidearm four rounds to the chest. Do you have the right to remain silent? Then how do you dial 911 and talk to a police voice recorder? How do you make that call and not say anything? According to criminal-defense attorneys, half of all convictions for self-defense incidents rely on frantic traumatized 911 tapes. As a bonus, the media will air your voice nationwide for weeks. That can t be right. Do you have the right to have an attorney prior to and during any questioning? What about your precious Fifth Amendment rights against self incrimination? How do you make a 911 call and protect your rights? You cannot. When you call 911 after saving your life with gunfire, you are giving up the crucial life-saving rights you think you have. And that s wrong. The dangerous snare of 911 recordings is built into the American self-defense system and no one has looked at it hard until now."

if i shoot someone, that person immediately becomes my responsibility, I want to be able to say that i didnt want to kill him, i wanted to stop the threat. as soon as he was no longer a threat, i immediatly called 911 to get him EMS.

Yup.

I was in fear for my life and my family lives......

This is actually a terrible article and I can only hope that you DON'T LISTEN TO IT!!!!

Let me pick it apart piece by piece much like a prosecutor would (if you were involved in a bad shoot)

Frist of all, if you are paying attention, this "professional" lives in St. Thomas !!!! He's not offering this advise from Chicago or Cleveland.

CALL 911 3rd ?????????!!!!!!!!!!!! Let me warn you ahead of time. Let a good investigator find out that you made phone calls to other people etc. BEFORE you called 911 and you are going to get ate alive. I have an idea, take the time and call your insurance agent too. Make sure you are going to be covered for all that blood leaking out on your rug. You'll also need some paint and plaster work done too I'm sure.

If you have the suspect down, there is nothing wrong with trying to plug the holes, maybe cover him up to keep shock from setting in. I'm certain you won't want to, but what you do after the shooting looks great in front of a jury if it should go that way. BUT REMEMBER !! Your safety and your families comes first. The suspect that broke in comes last. AND there could be more than one target to worry about.

Talking to the 911 operator.

DON'T BE STUPID!!!!! Do exactly what the operator says to do. STAY ON THE PHONE with that operator as long as they want you to. REMEMBER , they are telling the responding young pumped up officers coming to a shooting "man with a gun call" that YOU ARE THE GOOD GUY! They need to know exactly where you are what you are wearing and if you are still armed or not. They may and very possibly will tell you to lay down your weapon prior to them coming in or you going out to them.

So it was your house. It's 0400 hrs. and someone broke into YOUR house and you felt that your life and everyone's life inside your house was in danger and you fired your weapon to protect your life.............. If after all that, you don't want to yell at the top of your lungs " That arsehole broke into my house and was trying to kill me" and give a statement to the first detective that wants to take it, in my humble openion, you are a fool. But, that's only my opinion.

So lets go with you want to lawyer up. It's very simple. At some point, an officer will sit you down in a small room with bright lights and rubber hoses. (just kidding) You'll be read Miranda. No you aren't "Mirandized" there is no such thing. The officer will read it to you and you will also read it. There will then be a section that you will read to make sure that you understand. That's called the waiver. You'll read and sign that too. Then simply tell your story. You were the victim. The bad guy chose you and your loved ones to victimize. They broke into your home and tried to hurt you and your loved ones. You defended yourself. TELL THE INVESTIGATOR YOUR STORY. Or as I said, if you want to Lawyer up, (not talk till you consult with an attorney) then just tell the officer that you have nothing to say until you see your attorney and the interview will stop immediately.

Tell the officer you want to go to the hospital ????? yep, I've heard all that before. I've never understood why. LEO do it all the time. And I have no clue why. Maybe so they can take time to calm down ? Call the wife and or girl friend maybe both in that order ?? lol It's a stall tactic that's not needed. Something that someone came up with and everyone has ran with.

Evidence:

How can I say this carefully. BS !!!!!!!!!!! Unless you live in Mayberry, no PD is going to let you wander around in a crime scene (that's what it is) and point out evidence. That's what investigators are for. Oh, and like it or not, the house will be gone through and there will be an investigation. If you have nothing to hide, a permit to search can be signed by the home owner to save the officers a lot of work and time, or you can make them prepare a search warrant and have it signed by a judge. (which will happen) But officers will come in and investigate.

I don't know Michael Sheesley I don't know his back ground. It just bothers me when people use scare tactics to warn the public about the police and how they do their jobs.

I am a

Homicide Investigator

Crime Scene Technician

Cold Case Investigator

Firearms Instructor

Glock Master Armorer

Sig Armorer

Remington Armorer

I'm not an attorney but I've been a police officer for 28 years. Use that information if you like.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.