Sign in to follow this  
peabody

wooden boats..anyone build one ?

so ... anybody on here ever build their own boat ?

I've built a PDRacer... and now working on finishing up a brockway scow fishing skiff.

its lots of fun .. the PDRacer was super simple to build.

and very cheap..

check out the pdracer website.

PDRacer.com

for more fun than anything you can do with your clothes on...

build the puddle duck.. you will have a blast.. and your kids/grandkids will love it.

i built mine to learn how to sail.. it was something I've always wanted to do.

build one.. sail it.. row it.. stick a 2 hp motor on it..

its basically a 4x8 box..

seriously .. ck them out on PDRacer.com

I have built a bunch of stitch and glue kayaks, 2 strip canoes, a small lap sail/rowboat, and I am gathering the ambition to build a strip sailboat. Lots af fun and almost as addictive as BRD

I have built a bunch of stitch and glue kayaks, 2 strip canoes, a small lap sail/rowboat, and I am gathering the ambition to build a strip sailboat. Lots af fun and almost as addictive as BRD

You have any links to plans or pics?

I would love to try this myself.

You have any links to plans or pics?

I would love to try this myself.

Chesapeake Light Craft has IMHO the best selection and customer service, I have also used Glen L and Guillemot. The canoes I did I borrowed the strongbacks from a friend and the sailboat I am toying with was published a few years ago in Wooden Boat magazine. That should get you on the right track. I would suggest starting with a stitch and glue kit, but if you start with just plans and cut the pieces yourself you can customize it.

I usually help with a class in Jan and Feb if you want to come to it :lol:

Edited by harry1

The West Palm Beach Sailing Club, where I learned to sail as a youth used to build their own prams out of marine plywood and glass. It was pretty easy. Just follow a template with a skill saw, attach the pieces, and glass the thing.

When I was in Austin there was an absolute master. He worked at The Austin Angler fly shop. He would basket weave a Kayak skeleton held together with gut, Inuit style, then stretch oiled canvass over it. Those boats where amazing. Might have weighed 25 pounds. There was the frame of one hanging over the shop floor.

I have, using a GlenL kit. Built the ribs myself. My father used to build boats from just a table of offsets, and "loft" the plans himself. I'd really like to do another myself, maybe next winter. I'd like a 17-18 foot boat I can enjoy with the wife, and build exactly the way I want it, instead of what they want to market to the masses.

When I was a kid I built a dingy, from plans, in my dad's shop. I didn't have all the tools or parts and I cut a few corners. It came out looking a little lop sided but not too bad for a 13 year old with limited tools and funds. It leaked like a screen door so I fiberglassed the seams and that helped a little. Not sure what happened to the little boat but I am sure it was not around for more than a couple of years before it most likely went on the burn pile.

Wood working and me don't get along too well to this day. :laugh:

Didn't know we had mariners aboard ; Built several boats power and sail also strip canoes . Got a couple of pics of the cedar canoes others I'll have to dig for , as they were pre electronic camera days and converting from slides too electronic storage is time consuming . Especially when by conservative estimate I've got 18K to 20K 35mm slides over 40 years worth ...

Have a laugh : Wife wouldn't get in her's with that thin stripped port orford cedar even after I epoxied both of them ,so as to insure her it wouldn't leak . I had to paint her's Kelly Green inside so she couldn't see the strips of wood . Damn Irish gal

I'm better known for building Aircraft though ...

MyClearCedarMahoganyCanoe.jpg

WifesCanoe.jpg

Cedarstripclearcanoe2.jpg