AR15Armory.com

Did I get a good deal on this Glock?

jakeshredder

I was at the gun store and saw a used Gen 3 OD green Glock 17 for $475 and started drooling over the color so I asked to fondle it...

It has almost NO wear anywhere and even the feed ramp on the barrel barely has a mark on it. The only aftermarket mods that I could tell are a Novak front red fiber optic sight. I liked the fiber optic on my VTAC M&P9 so I consider it a plus for me.

Anyway, I talked the guys down to 475 including tax.

Does this seem like a reasonable deal from a dealer? With lay away it was going to be too hard to pass this one up. I am probably going to pay the last $250 tomorrow so I can shoot it Saturday.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet it says not available for purchase online.

I dont think you can buy any handgun online. Pistols have to be sold in person from any FFL. You can order them but it still has to go to a local, or at least in state FFL.

no online sales? :dontknow: LE only pricing?

Yes this place only sells to MIL, LEO, EMS, or lisensed private security. But the fact that they are selling directly from Glock and still making a profit means that if you are paying $500 a copy then the distributor or dealer you are dealing with is making 25+% profit on each gun he sells. Now I am all for a company making a profit but a 25% mark up, really come on? Yea if you are paying $500+ for a new Glock you are getting ripped off. How much does a handgun drop in value when it is used and a discontinued model? I guess that depends on how much you like that gun but most I would guess are between 25 and 33% as soon as they are considered "used".

I dont think you can buy any handgun online. Pistols have to be sold in person from any FFL. You can order them but it still has to go to a local, or at least in state FFL.

Yes this place only sells to MIL, LEO, EMS, or lisensed private security. But the fact that they are selling directly from Glock and still making a profit means that if you are paying $500 a copy then the distributor or dealer you are dealing with is making 25+% profit on each gun he sells. Now I am all for a company making a profit but a 25% mark up, really come on? Yea if you are paying $500+ for a new Glock you are getting ripped off. How much does a handgun drop in value when it is used and a discontinued model? I guess that depends on how much you like that gun but most I would guess are between 25 and 33% as soon as they are considered "used".

What LEOs, depts, government contracts etc pay for Glocks is somewhat irrelevant to the individual consumer. the typical price around here for new gen 3s was $489 and more for G20,21,29,30,34+35. As for depreciation, 25-33% is way high and the fact that he just payed $475 for a used G17 proves it. Even well worn police trade-ins seldom go for less than $350. If you are paying $500 for a new Glock you are doing OK and are in no way getting ripped off! That is right in the typical price range for M&Ps, XDMs, FNs, Berettas, Steyrs and other similar poylmer guns.The cheapest new Glocks i ever saw were $379 at Bud's for the 45GAP models, because nobody wants that caliber (expensive and scarce ammo). If his G17 was like new with fiberoptic sights $475 is only slightly ($25-50) high in my opinion. :hmm:

What LEOs, depts, government contracts etc pay for Glocks is somewhat irrelevant to the individual consumer. the typical price around here for new gen 3s was $489 and more for G20,21,29,30,34+35. As for depreciation, 25-33% is way high and the fact that he just payed $475 for a used G17 proves it. Even well worn police trade-ins seldom go for less than $350. If you are paying $500 for a new Glock you are doing OK and are in no way getting ripped off! That is right in the typical price range for M&Ps, XDMs, FNs, Berettas, Steyrs and other similar poylmer guns.The cheapest new Glocks i ever saw were $379 at Bud's for the 45GAP models, because nobody wants that caliber (expensive and scarce ammo). If his G17 was like new with fiberoptic sights $475 is only slightly ($25-50) high in my opinion. :hmm:

Actually in this case it is very relevant. This company that caters to maybe 10% or less of the market (in that area) has been able to stay in buisness for 20+ years with what they are charging over costs. In 2001 they were $100 chaper than they are now. This is not a bulk or agency price, anybody with EMS, LEO, Military or civilian security license can walk and and walk out with a Glock at that price. Now considering they are (as far as I know) the only Glock factory direct dealer in the US all other guns dealers are going through distributors. Now I know that these guys are not working for free so they will have a mark up plus S&H and that is natural. But it should not be 25%. If this company is selling Glocks making X per copy and not just staying in buisness but expanding then other dealers can to on the same mark up percentage.

For example, I dont know what the mark up is a SPD but lets just say it is 10% to keep numbers round. So they make about $40 per gun. Now add in a distributor to the mix and lets say he is making 10%. You should still see prices at the counter of less then $450. Now that is going to cary based of course on model, options, and supply and demand in the area but generally if you are paying more than that for a new Glock 17 you are getting ripped off somewhere in the chain.

Think again. I could go to buds gun shop or similar and buy the gun right there on the site and have it shipped to my LGS.

Think again. I could go to buds gun shop or similar and buy the gun right there on the site and have it shipped to my LGS.

I stand corrected but many places do not sell firearms online. Even so you can call them and order it over the phone.

Speaking of Buds

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/13708/Glock+17+9mm+17+Rnd+Fixed+Sights+OD+Green

Here is your G17 OD green new for 504. (520 using a credit card)

So now the op is what $50 off of the price of a new gun and he got a the old model. $50 off for the old model, yea maybe, $50 for the old model and it is used. I would not have done it personally.

Now being that the 475 included tax and I am assuming the fee for back ground check (I dont know what either of those run in AL) but that makes it a little better but in my opinion it is not any screaming deal. I think he could have done better if he checked around especially being this was from a dealer that more than likley had less than half of that in it if he took it on trade.

Ultimatly a good deal is in the eye of the holder though. Did he want it that bad to pay a little more to take it home right then? Is it exactally what he wanted or was he looking for something else and settled for it? If I am looking to buuy something both of those are factors in play. If it is exactally what I want, I'll pay a little more. Sometimes though I can get a better deal online I will pay more to walk out of the store with it. To me at the time that adds enough value to offset a certain part of the price.

In Alabama there is not an apparent fee that you pay for each purchased gun if the store already has it in stock.

The issue I have with online orders is the cost to have them transferred. The local shop is about $35. There is a free shop in the area but by the time I spend my time and gas to get out there I spend that much if not more for the transfer.

The easy lay away system also makes it nice to make a purchase at this shop.

In Alabama there is not an apparent fee that you pay for each purchased gun if the store already has it in stock.

The issue I have with online orders is the cost to have them transferred. The local shop is about $35. There is a free shop in the area but by the time I spend my time and gas to get out there I spend that much if not more for the transfer.

The easy lay away system also makes it nice to make a purchase at this shop.

Layaway counts a little too. If I dont have the $$ right now and I find what I cant live without I will pay a little extra to pick it up later.