AR15Armory.com

I'm gonna go broke, gone to the dogs, PICS UP IN OP

Pepper

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How's her hips? She still get around ok?

Supposedly my buddy's wife had her checked out a couple years ago, and she was 100%, and the vet said her hips would never be a problem. Not completely sure I trust that, but I'll have her checked out again next week.

:tiphat: :thumbs2: Good for you Pepper. I hope that her check up comes out good. By the way, Have you ever worked K-9 in your career yet?. If you've mentioned it, I've never caught it.

No. I'd LOVE to do K9, but my agency is too small to be able to justify it (really), and our chief is too liability conscious to let it happen. Maybe, if she ever moves on or retires I'll approach the new boss about it, but for now, unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to do it. I think it would be a blast though.

I love Shepherds. That's what I worked and trained in my PD career. Can't find a more loyal family dog. Enjoy the new friend.

We thought we were adopting her, and she's taken an almost immediate liking to my wife and daughter. She seems to be happy when I come home, but she went completely bananas with joy when my wife and daughter came home today. My daughter, 5, just got mauled with kisses, and she seemed like a little puppy again when my wife is around. Seems to have some basic "manners" training. She doesn't jump up, doesn't get on furniture, and seems to be housebroken, but she's got selective hearing about other things, I think she's testing boundaries, and there's a bit of the devil in her. I see mischief if I look really hard, and I think I'm going to get a surprise here and there. She does pinch things out of the dustbin, so I'm going to have to be extra careful to empty that more often.

How long do these dogs live on average? This is my first GSD, so other than knowing to have her hips checked out, and knowing that I'm going to be able to weave a quilt with all the hair I'm cleaning off of the carpets, furniture, and every surface where it can float or fly to, I'm not sure what to expect. I'm amazed the dog has hair on it with as much as we've brushed off of her (brush her with a shedding brush, clean it, repeat until it pulls no more loose hair off, daily) and vacuumed out of the carpets, it's a wonder she's not bald, but she's leaving tan hair everywhere she goes, and still has a thick, soft coat.

You're a good man Charlie Brown. Giving an old dog a new home is a very rare and admirable thing.

Thanks. Our last elderly dog was Lucious, the Great Dane. We rescued him from an apartment next door to a friend of a friend. He was only let out once a day for 15 minutes, and was kept cooped up in a laundry room, where he barely had room to turn around. He was underweight, and had zero muscle tone. It took us a month or two to get him healthy again, and he was with us for about 5 years. Absolutely the most loyal dog we ever had. He was great with me, but was SUPER protective of my wife. No one could get near the house without having 150+ pounds of pissed off Great Dane charging at them. Damned near ate the meter reader, and trapped the UPS guy in his truck twice.

My thing is, it's not the dog's fault that they didn't have owners that would take care of them. I'm not rich, but I'll take them in and act like their friend. Food, fun, grooming if needed, and vet care if necessary, and let them be dogs. I've been repaid in spades by companionship, and yes, loyal friendship. All of my dogs have a story about how they were in a bad situation when we got them, and every one of 'em has a better life now, and that's my only goal. Not all rescues, but I knew they wouldn't do well if left alone,and while I'm sure I'll get burned some day, I've always stood up for the critter that most people "shopping" for a dog wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole, but they've all responded to simple good treatment, companionship, and healthy food and exercise. I'll get a basket case that soaks me at the vet's office for every dime I can spare, but whatever. I'd rather spend my money on a dog than most humans outside of my immediate family.

Ok, enought kudos. Pictures any time now would be nice. What's the dog's name?

By the way, I like the story about the Great Dane. The "loyal", "protective" part. And the "150 pounds of pissed off Great Dane" part. Great Danes can be real serious. And compelling.

Ages ago I had one come up to me while I was sitting around stoned. He shoved his head up underneath my arm for attention. Then, with his head two inches from my face, he yawned real big. Whoa! Big mouth, big teeth. He coulda' swallowed my whole head.

This is my first GSD, so other than knowing to have her hips checked out, and knowing that I'm going to be able to weave a quilt with all the hair I'm cleaning off of the carpets, furniture, and every surface where it can float or fly to, I'm not sure what to expect. I'm amazed the dog has hair on it with as much as we've brushed off of her (brush her with a shedding brush, clean it, repeat until it pulls no more loose hair off, daily) and vacuumed out of the carpets, it's a wonder she's not bald, but she's leaving tan hair everywhere she goes, and still has a thick, soft coat.

After a month or so of the better food she is getting now the shedding will get better, not great she us still a GSD, but better. Get a furminator and brush her once a month or so with it and you can kind of keep it under control

Ok, enought kudos. Pictures any time now would be nice. What's the dog's name?

By the way, I like the story about the Great Dane. The "loyal", "protective" part. And the "150 pounds of pissed off Great Dane" part. Great Danes can be real serious. And compelling.

Ages ago I had one come up to me while I was sitting around stoned. He shoved his head up underneath my arm for attention. Then, with his head two inches from my face, he yawned real big. Whoa! Big mouth, big teeth. He coulda' swallowed my whole head.

I'll put up some pics this afternoon, I really should be asleep but this cold is knocking me around pretty good. Her name is Kahlua, but I'm not 100% sure that it's been her name the entire time, as she seems to only notice it when there's food involved. Danes are great dogs. We "rescued" him with a bit of coercion. Friend of a friend was ready to move out of an apartment, so we went over to help her move. We got her all loaded up, and I went and knocked on the door of the place where the dog was. Told him that I knew he was mistreating his dog, and he had two choices. Give up the dog, or I'd make a call to the police, and get him locked up, and they'd take the dog. He didn't hesitate, he brought the dog out on a leash and shut the door behind him without hardly a word. arsehole.

We thought we were adopting her, and she's taken an almost immediate liking to my wife and daughter. She seems to be happy when I come home, but she went completely bananas with joy when my wife and daughter came home today. My daughter, 5, just got mauled with kisses, and she seemed like a little puppy again when my wife is around. Seems to have some basic "manners" training. She doesn't jump up, doesn't get on furniture, and seems to be housebroken, but she's got selective hearing about other things, I think she's testing boundaries, and there's a bit of the devil in her. I see mischief if I look really hard, and I think I'm going to get a surprise here and there. She does pinch things out of the dustbin, so I'm going to have to be extra careful to empty that more often.

How long do these dogs live on average? This is my first GSD, so other than knowing to have her hips checked out, and knowing that I'm going to be able to weave a quilt with all the hair I'm cleaning off of the carpets, furniture, and every surface where it can float or fly to, I'm not sure what to expect. I'm amazed the dog has hair on it with as much as we've brushed off of her (brush her with a shedding brush, clean it, repeat until it pulls no more loose hair off, daily) and vacuumed out of the carpets, it's a wonder she's not bald, but she's leaving tan hair everywhere she goes, and still has a thick, soft coat.

Shepherds never truly stop shedding although they tend to lighten up pretty well if you live in a cold environment. As far as how long they live. Really depends. If still healthy at 10 then she could easily go to age 13-15 and in some cases longer. The retired Shepherds at my former agency lived to around 12 or so but keep in mind they had more stress on their bodies than the average dog. These were the healthy ones. Some died earlier for various reasons. Cancer and so on.

Edited by EODK9Trainer

I love GSDs. A guy at the gym has a female that came from some good bloodlines, father was a champion dog and mother was a top NARC dog. He bred his with a police dog and had a big litter. Unfortunately at $1200 a piece I can't afford it now and since I'll be leaving soon, it wouldn't make sense because I wouldn't be around to raise him/her. So once I get settled in my own place, I'm getting 2. Names are already picked out.