AR15Armory.com

Is Physics playing a trick on me? Stripped Upper Weights

Scout Actual

Hey guys,

I'm doing a lightweight AR build for my girlfriend and have been looking at stripped uppers. What I found surprised me.

I was searching for a "slick sided" upper to save weight. The 1st I found (and really only truly slick upper) was the DPMS Low Pro Upper. The site says it weights .66 lbs = 10.56 oz

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/138383/dpms-upper-receiver-stripped-ar-15-low-profile-flat-top-matte

The 2nd item I found was the Spike's Tactical SlickSide Upper. It has no FA but does have a deflector and dust cover. listed 7.26 oz.

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/sss/upper-reciever-m4-slickside-no-forward-assist-multi-cal-p-926.html

The 3rd item I stumbled across was the regular old Daniel Defense A4 Upper. It has all the bells and whistles and comes in at... 7.00 oz.

https://danieldefense.com/components-parts/stripped-uppers/a4-upper-receiver-assembly.html

So, what gives? I expected the less goodies on the Upper the less weight but these 3 examples are the opposite! Obviously there is no real trick here and the DPMS design is simply bulkier or the weight isn't precise. Daniel Defense's motto is LIGHTER, STRONGER, BETTER... and it looks like they may have milled out some material underneath the picatinny rail. Still, I was surprised at what I found.

Quite simply the DPMS slick side uppers are considerably thicker. They are the drug of choice for making up rifles using heavy barrels like the bull type I like. Tthe extra weight for rigidity helps somewhat. The DPMS is the most popular of these and is most commonly seen on the range.

I have not personally played with the Spikes but 0.26 OZ. could be well within variance.I have seen lots of weights vary from place to place on the sales sites. I have no idea why. Perhaps someone who has one will chime in.

Greg

I wouldn't be surprised at all if there was some variance in the weight of these items (although I wouldn't suspect .26 oz on a machined part).

That being said, the heavier Spikes has no FA and no provision for an FA. The lighter DD weight includes an installed FA. DD is, obviously, going out of their way to make a light upper.

Spike's is advertising a reduction of 1.5 oz off a standard Mil-Spec Upper. Thus the DD is 1.75 oz off a standard Mil-Spec Upper... but doesn't remove any features...

Next time you talk to spikes, ask them who made it.

SA I am afraid you are going to be sick over this skimping stuff, get you a good quality AR upper and worry about ounces later

I have a good quality upper... I have a complete DDM4V7 in fact... I'm trying to build an AR for my girlfriend who is 105 lbs... 2 of the 3 items on the list most would consider good quality. I was surprised by the numbers I saw and wondered if anyone else was... Don't you find it interesting that the Spikes with no FA is heavier than the DD WITH an FA?

Edited by Scout Actual

I have a good quality upper... I have a complete DDM4V7 in fact... I'm trying to build an AR for my girlfriend who is 105 lbs... 2 of the 3 items on the list most would consider good quality. I was surprised by the numbers I saw and wondered if anyone else was... Don't you find it interesting that the Spikes with no FA is heavier than the DD WITH an FA?

Yea I do, but the slick sides are normally thicker walls just like the billets are.

Since this rifle is for your GF and she is tiny, I would build her a standard 16" AR with single heat shield hand guard and put her on a B5 Bravo stock, but make sure to get her a good comfortable grip like a ergo or tango down.

I don't think you would get much lighter than that.

After she gets use to it, get her one of the small E-otechs if she wants one.

Already acquired a few parts:

- DD 14.5" Carbine Pencil Barrel

- Magpul Carbine Length Hand Guard

- Fixed Front Sight Gas Block

- all the little pins, nuts, tubes for the upper

- already have a Bushnell TRS-25 Red Dot

I am planning on getting the Spike's Upper & a Spike's BCG

I am planning on getting a Cav15 Polymer lower & Magpul rear BUIS

Eventually I'll upgrade the Optic, probably to an Aimpoint H-1/T-1

Should make a very light rifle.

Edited by Scout Actual