GLShooter

17/223 Information

Joining the 17-223 club Jan 22, 2014 at 1:57pm

orgran said:

Ordered my barrel last week. I'm looking forward to building it in the months to come.

Got a few questions pertaining to what I'm getting myself into as far as loading my own ammo for it. There seems to be small bits of scattered info around the web, but nothing too specific. Anyone have any recommendations for die sets? I'll be needing everything from the resizer (from 223) to the dies for actually putting the round together. I've found a couple suggestions on powder for 25gr bullets, but they're nearly impossible to
find. Anyone have info on loads for 20gr bullets? Powder brand/type?

I'm also interested in what upper/bcg anyone would suggest. I believe I have my lower all figured out with what I want on it.

I picked up a 17-223 rcbs fl die and just sized a few cases this morning. I had talked with Ritch and he suggested starting with a FL 223 die with the expander removed for the first step and it worked like a charm!! I ran them in the 223 die first then in the 17-223 die and all is well, I did not fully size the necks down since I don't have the barrel on hand to make sure I don't get to bumping the shoulder to far. wink.png

I would suggest getting the standard 17-223 die for simplicity. I was also looking at the rcbs gold medal match 223 fl bushing die but by the time you get bushings and the 17 cal. expander for it you will be into it just as much money as the 17-223 die.

I happened to luck out and got my rcbs die for nearly half off at midway, they had one in stock and on clearance so then I ordered up a hornady 17 cal seater to go with it. Without finding them on sale your best bet is probably just to take the plunge and get a 2 die set from rcbs, they are $146 from Midway and they show them in stock

I had received my shipping notification and my barrel is scheduled for delivery on sat. and im working on getting a gas block from George over at BTE so as soon as that arrives Ill get the upper built and get cracking on making some ammo. With any luck the weather will start cooperating so I can make a range trip.

Edited by midwestpredator

I had received my shipping notification and my barrel is scheduled for delivery on sat. and im working on getting a gas block from George over at BTE so as soon as that arrives Ill get the upper built and get cracking on making some ammo. With any luck the weather will start cooperating so I can make a range trip.

It is quite the cartridge. Pressures can get intimidating PDQ. Lots of fun with the little fast movers.

Greg

Yup im excited. It has been over a decade since ive dealt with those tiny little buggers(17 rem) and have never loaded for one so its all new to me. I have a small stash of 25gr hp and I figure if I get them going 3900+ with good accuracy Ill be plenty happy.

What I need yet is a cleaning rod, any recommendations in that department? I also like to carry a bore snake in the range bag but don't know if Ive ever seen one for the 17cal.

Yup im excited. It has been over a decade since ive dealt with those tiny little buggers(17 rem) and have never loaded for one so its all new to me. I have a small stash of 25gr hp and I figure if I get them going 3900+ with good accuracy Ill be plenty happy.

What I need yet is a cleaning rod, any recommendations in that department? I also like to carry a bore snake in the range bag but don't know if Ive ever seen one for the 17cal.

I use a Dewey rod. Easy to order up. They do make 17 caliber bore snakes. A good thing to have for make do in the field.

Greg

well the fed ex truck must be held up somewhere due to weather. Barrel was supposed to show up yesterday but now the tracking shows N/A for delivery date.

I was in the local scheels the other day and picked up a kleen bore one pce cleaning rod. Im slightly confused though, they had other brand of rods for the 17cal but all were slightly larger diameter as were the replacement brushes and jags. The collar on those were dang near the same diameter as the brush and appeared to be the same for 22cal rods but the kleen bore rod has noticeably smaller threads which I think would be a good thing. It did come with a brush, mop, and a jag but so far I have not been able to find replacements for when those wear out. Every see 2 different thread sizes for the 17cal rods?

I think that has the same threads as the Dewey rod. I Also think the Gunslick rods have the same threads but I am not postiive.

Well the fed ex guy must have been held up pretty good by winter storm somewhere. New delivery date is set for tomorrow so with any luck it will show. Good news is, I opened up the mailbox today to find a small package from George in the form of a BTE low pro adjustable gas block. Gotta say, that was some mighty quick shipping and the block looks real nice. Im going to put it on my 6x6.8 for right now and move that block to the 17. Im betting there will be more BTE products in the future though.

Edited by midwestpredator

Well the fed ex guy must have been held up pretty good by winter storm somewhere. New delivery date is set for tomorrow so with any luck it will show. Good news is, I opened up the mailbox today to find a small package from George in the form of a BTE low pro adjustable gas block. Gotta say, that was some mighty quick shipping and the block looks real nice. Im going to put it on my 6x6.8 for right now and move that block to the 17. Im betting there will be more BTE products in the future though.

Cool. I was there when George boxed it up....LOL

Greg

I have a .17 Remington. I make brass from .223 cases, using similar steps, I use an RCBS FL sizing die. . One thing I have found in resizing down was that I have to turn my necks as the neck thickness was too extreme. Otherwise everything works well. I have also used some .204 Ruger brass and that works well also. Be sure to check you case length and trim accordingly.

On the reloading side, I just use a neck sizing RCBS or Redding die (I have both)
Also when shooting the rifle, a Remington 700, I have found that after about 10-12 shots I must pull the bolt and run a patched rod down the bore otherwise they bullets seem to fly where ever the feel like. It does foul quickly. But I have nailed dogs out to 300 yards with this little cartridge. It's a speedball and the drop is not that bad.

Edited by rewiltshire