GLShooter

BHW 556 and 50 Grain VMAX

Nov 10, 2013 at 1:25pm

Just a pair of groups that Ritch shot today, 11-10-13, with the 556 he just put together last night. This is frorm a 20" standard profile barrel. These are adequate for most of us. What say you?

Ritch took three shots to get zeroed in.

These are shots 4-8

RITCH22311-10-2350VMAX2realpic_zps5c4f9b

Shots 9-13

RITCH22311-10-2350VMAX1realpic_zps08d31e

Greg

I've also found that 50 Grain VMAX will run pretty well in my BHW. Here's some info from the BHW Forum I posted back in December. I've yet to make it out since, but I'm fine tuning and developing some more loads with some 55 Grain Varmageddons. I'll post an update when I get out again.

This load measured .767" I'm sure it could have done better, but it was 16 degrees and my trigger finger was freezing. I did have three shots that were touching.

50 Gr. VMax Bullet
22.5 Gr. Benchmark
Loaded to 2.200 COAL
Winchester Small Rifle Primers
Once fired Hornady Brass

The second load was better, but it was still cold and I had 3 of the 5 shots that were all touching. Out of 5 shots, group was .740"

50 Gr. VMax Bullet
25.0 Gr IMR 4895
Loaded to 2.245 COAL- This seemed a bit long and I want to make some more that are closer to the 2.200 length.
Winchester Small Rifle Primers
Once Fired Military Brass

Adam

Those groups are not too bad but you could try bumping up that benchmark load a bit more, your not even at the hodgdon listed start charge (24.0gr). It is commonly reported that BHW barrels will shoot better towards the top end charge weights. As for the 2.245 oal, im not sure how long the throat is on the BHW barrels but that is not necessarily seated long, in my Rguns 223 I load the 50 vmax to 2.270 and the 55sbk I load 2.288.

Edited by midwestpredator

Those groups are not too bad but you could try bumping up that benchmark load a bit more, your not even at the hodgdon listed start charge (24.0gr). It is commonly reported that BHW barrels will shoot better towards the top end charge weights. As for the 2.245 oal, im not sure how long the throat is on the BHW barrels but that is not necessarily seated long, in my Rguns 223 I load the 50 vmax to 2.270 and the 55sbk I load 2.288.

I load them long and hot. They take 2.255 without problem.

Greg

Will they fit in a PMAG at 2.288? That's my only drawback right now. I loaded up some 55gr Varmageddons this weekend. Gonna be a while before I can hit the range. For the Varmageddon loads I went .5 grains higher than max listed load. We will see what happens.

Will they fit in a PMAG at 2.288? That's my only drawback right now. I loaded up some 55gr Varmageddons this weekend. Gonna be a while before I can hit the range. For the Varmageddon loads I went .5 grains higher than max listed load. We will see what happens.

No Black Hole 223's are ever loaded past 2.260 unless they are specifically mentioned. So yes, these fit.

Greg

2.288 will not fit in a pmag, I was just pointing out that the length you are at is not necessarily long. I run c-product metal mags for the ability to seat out to 2.295 to accommodate a longer throat in my Rguns barrel.

You will have to figure out where the lands are on that barrel and go from there. You may or may not be able to load that long anyway, im not sure how far out the lands are on BHW 223 barrels as I don't have one in that caliber just yet.

Overall lenght on THAT load is 2.20 as noted in the post. She will run in anything on the market. Now if it is accurate is another adventure. LOL

Greg

Let me know how these shoot for you!

My fav load so far is the 55grn varmageddon with 8208xbr about 0.2 over max load.

Caleb, you see any signs of overpressure running .2 grains over max listed? The only source I know of for loading 5.56 is the Nosler book, but all the rounds listed are for 69 grain bullets and larger.

What are you shooting them out of? My barrel is only 18 inches long so velocity my suffer a bit, but so far I am very happy with the results. The gun will shoot better than I can so how can I argue with it?

It will be a couple weeks before I can get to the range, but I'll let you know how I do. So far I've loaded them with Ramshot TAC, and H335. I've got some IMR 4895 and some Benchmark that I'm going to load up as well. I'm hoping the TAC does well as I just bought two pounds of it. There's lots of load data for TAC so I'm sure there's something that will work for them!

Caleb, you see any signs of overpressure running .2 grains over max listed? The only source I know of for loading 5.56 is the Nosler book, but all the rounds listed are for 69 grain bullets and larger.

What are you shooting them out of? My barrel is only 18 inches long so velocity my suffer a bit, but so far I am very happy with the results. The gun will shoot better than I can so how can I argue with it?

It will be a couple weeks before I can get to the range, but I'll let you know how I do. So far I've loaded them with Ramshot TAC, and H335. I've got some IMR 4895 and some Benchmark that I'm going to load up as well. I'm hoping the TAC does well as I just bought two pounds of it. There's lots of load data for TAC so I'm sure there's something that will work for them!

Sierra has some good high pressure stuff under SERVICE RIFLE and Accurate has whole sections for varous formats like the bolts/autos used in matches that run the heavy bullets. Remember one book MAX is not always the same in another. Also based on barrel/cahmber varitions you may or may not see pressures. BHW barrels how less pressure than the normal Enfeilfd type thanks to the poly rifling. Seating depth lesd or more than the published lenght and a change in bullet brand figures in heavily in the pressure game. The two things many forget is that differenyt lots of powders vary somewhat and temperature at the times of firings can have a huge impact on certain propellents.

Greg

hornady 9th edition lists data for 223 rem, 223 service rifle, and 5.56 nato. 223 service rifle is 68gr bullets and heavier and 5.56 is 55gr and heavier. honestly I don't think I have ever looked at anything but 223 data. Every rifle is different as are the manuals. You will need to work up a safe load in your particular rifle so it really doesn't matter if you use 223 data or 5.56 data to start. In the hornady manual, some of the start loads for 223 55gr are actually higher charge weights than the 5.56. So, look over multiple sources for data, start low and work up until you start to see pressure signs and then back off a smidgen or you find a load that suites your needs.

according to hornady book, my load is 0.2-0.4gr over max for a 55gr depending on if you look at 223 or 5.56 data but according to alliant I am 0.6gr under max load.

I just looked at the TAC data on the Ramshot page, as well as the Nosler data on the Nosler page. Ramshot lists the max load at 25.7 grains with a 55 Grain Nosler B-Tip, and Nosler lists the max load at 26.0 grains. Interesting. Thanks for the input, guys!

And so we all learn a bit of the varaition in data. The lesson is one that wil bite you on the patootie sometimes but its just a book. Don't feel safe when you get too fast sppeds or primer flows or worse. Trust but verify.

Greg

I'm running an 18" BHW barrel with 8208xbr as stated above. Right at 3000 FPS with no pressure signs at all.

Pretty sure it was 25.2gr. I think max was 25.0. I used the data off of the hodgens website and worked up SLOWLY!

My next test will be to compare it to CFE223 in the speed catagory.