The War Wagon

Connecticut - a SPECIAL kind of STUPID...

Going the extra mile, to make it more difficult, to store the guns they don't want you to have... :facepalm:

Walmart stores in Connecticut reportedly charging tax on tax-exempt gun safes

Several Connecticut Walmart stores reportedly have been applying a sales tax to gun safes, a product that has been exempt from the state sales tax for 15 years.

According to the Connecticut Post, employees at stores in Norwich, Manchester, Waterbury and Naugatuck all said a sales tax would apply on safes and did not seem aware of the exemption.

Hearst Connecticut Media last week conducted a phone survey of Walmart stores regarding a sales tax on gun safes following the case of Sean Witoshynsky, who was surprised to find he was charged $33 tax on a $500 gun safe. At one Walmart store, in Manchester, a sales associate told a reporter regarding a $397 gun safe: “It would be $425 with tax.” At a Walmart store in Naugatuck, an associate said a $100 pistol safe would be “roughly $106.50 with tax.

None of the Walmart employees the paper spoke with seemed to be aware that, for nearly 15 years, gun safety equipment is exempt from the state sales tax

Nothing like the rich, smooth, satisfying flavor... of STOOPID. :Loser:

I don't really expect walmart employees to be super geniuses, otherwise they would not be working at Walmart.

I don't really expect walmart employees to be super geniuses, otherwise they would not be working at Walmart.

Makes you wonder about their management training, as THEY should be the ones to make sure such a notice is posted near the sporting goods register!

This is dumb. Every point of sale system I have experience with has the option to change tax rates and what items are taxed on an item by item and store by store basis. If they have been charging sales tax on safes for years they have just set themselves up for a class action lawsuit.

A computer nerd somewhere didn't click the correct settings when he set the items up. Trust me on this one because I have been that nerd before.

Yup if state law says they are exempt for taxation Wally Mart will lose big time.