AR15Armory.com

Brass Making

GLShooter

Dec 16, 2013 at 4:24pm : RJohnson
I start with a Wilson .287 bushing. This is the same bushing I use for the 6.5X68, next is the .267 Wilson bushing, and the final step is a Wilson .250. The reason I prefer Wilson over Redding or the other manufactures is the radius on the lead going into the bushing its self. The only thing that can be a little tricky is floating the bushing up so you don't get the flat shoulder. This is very easy once you try it. The last batch of brass I made like this, I never lost a single piece.

The good part about using these steps in the bushings are they are the exact sizes for the other 6.8 family. I turn the .287 upside down for the 6.5. The .267 is the 6X68. All that is needed to change from one caliber to another is a Hornady seating die of the correct caliber.

For the 20 Practical the forming is much the same but only involves 1 step. Using a 223 Redding full length S die and a .225 bushing make one pass and you have a 20 Prac. I use a Hornady 204 Ruger for a seating die. I have been told a 223 seating will work, but I have not tried it.

The Redding size die has a decapping stem just like any other size die. They even come with an expander ball as well as a decapping pin retainer nut. This is an under size expander that holds the decapping pin. It is smaller than the inside neck diameter of the brass so it will not touch the inside of the neck.

Read more: http://www.blackholeweaponry.proboards.com/thread/1527/22x6-8-reamer?page=2#ixzz2ttD5Jc60

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

This cartridge has me interested. I already have the Redding die set up for my 6x6.8 so I should be able to just pick up a couple more bushing to load. I'd like to build one in a 20" barrel and keep the barrel light enough to carry the gun as a varminter. Do you know what kind of velocity I could expect out of a set up like that using 50 gr bullets? Or what grain bullet would be optimal?

Hey Greg my 6.8 Redding S for will work if I get a few more bushings correct? That's what I use for my 6x6.8. And a new expander and I should be in business?

Yes it will. All the way down to the 20X6.8 RocketMan

Greg

BTW we never use expanders on anything except the American 30.

I know this is off the subject a bit but I need your advice. I want to build a 22x6.8 for a varmint gun and keep the weight manageable. I want to shoot 50 gr bullets. Would you say a 1:8 twist? And would I lose much of I went with an 18 instead of 20 barrel. What would you say is optimal keeping weight in mind?

I know this is off the subject a bit but I need your advice. I want to build a 22x6.8 for a varmint gun and keep the weight manageable. I want to shoot 50 gr bullets. Would you say a 1:8 twist? And would I lose much of I went with an 18 instead of 20 barrel. What would you say is optimal keeping weight in mind?

1:8 will shoot the 50's. Get a standard weight barrel. Loss will be another 60 FPS. .

You guys are missing the point in neutering the advantage of a big butted case shooting for 22-250 speeds.

Greg

That's where I'm trying to find a balance. My 6x6.8 shoots like a house on fire but I built it awful heavy. I want to make sure I make this one more "portable" but keep as much velocity as possible. It's always a toss up

My personal limit is 22" on any of the variants.. A standard weight balances well and you gain nothing in accuracy by going heavier for real world usage on a hunting gun. That being said an 18" MID LENGHT not RIFLE will be a hammer too. Load them with BT's or VMAX and watch the pieces fly.

Greg.

I pulled the trigger on the 20 inch barrel. Since I have the 285 and 267 bushings for my Redding S die I just need to order the 250 correct? Can I go straight to that from the 267? And a .22 cal button kit, I almost forgot that!

Edited by Pete92118