GLShooter

20 Practical Case Forming

Post by lkrbuilder13 on Feb 19, 2014 at 6:41pm
Alright, I have my bushing die to load my 20 practical. I remember I think it was Ritch talking about getting it set up and floating the bushing? Is there anything different from what the directions that come with the die say that I should do that would get me better results? This is my first time using these and I don't want to learn the hard way if I am going to do something wrong.
Thank you

Brian

yesterday at 5:39am : R Johnson

That's right, set the body of the die up to resize the body and bump the shoulder back. Then set the bushing. On a 20 Practical there won't be much of a float or space under the bushing. You will have to adjust it by eye, until you have a smooth neck shoulder junction. Without a doughnut on the neck. Remember to use the decapping stem retaining nut not the expander ball.

Post by GLSHOOTER on yesterday at 9:07am
Now for the CHEATING way to make it EASY!!!

First take a 223 sizer and run it through the die WITHOUT the expandrer/decapper. This wil size the neck down and make it so much easier to do the final sizing. It takes a bit longer that way but the results, to me, look a bit more consistent. It also is just easier when you do the final neck down as you are able to feel the neck engage the bushing and you can ease it in. This is definetly not the ten panny nail hammer activity.

Greg

Post by biggdawg on yesterday at 11:43am

First take a 223 sizer and run it through the die WITHOUT the expandrer/decapper. This wil size the neck down and make it so much easier to do the final sizing. It takes a bit longer that way but the results, to me, look a bit more consistent. It also is just easier when you do the final neck down as you are able to feel the neck engage the bushing and you can ease it in. This is definetly not the ten panny nail hammer activity.

Greg

that is what i do. i set up my lnl ap with a dilon 1200 trimmer and 223 die in station 2 then in 3 i have the 223 bushing die with a 225 bushing if i am not mistaken, i do the final bump on the shoulder at this time too, I can crank out 3-400 an hour that way, throw them in the ss wet tumbler and it cleans up the case mouths and they are ready to load.

yesterday at 5:39am : R Johnson
That's right, set the body of the die up to resize the body and bump the shoulder back. Then set the bushing. On a 20 Practical there won't be much of a float or space under the bushing. You will have to adjust it by eye, until you have a smooth neck shoulder junction. Without a doughnut on the neck. Remember to use the decapping stem retaining nut not the expander ball.

I messed with it some tonight, earlier today i went through and did 1k brass like Greg said with my 223 die with the decapper out, With my redding Type S with the retainer nut not the expander, but it was larger than .202. I was actually .215 which expanded it. So with some time with the drill and a fine file and a polishing stone I got her down to size and ready to load. I dont know if this a new dimension on these but definatly something to keep in mind while starting with these new dies.

Brian

Post by GLSHOOTER on yesterday at 9:07am

Greg

What is your GO-TO powder for the 20 prac? I have 32gr V-max and 32gr nosler hp? It was looking like in the other forum that Benchmark was an excellent choice.

I messed with it some tonight, earlier today i went through and did 1k brass like Greg said with my 223 die with the decapper out, With my redding Type S with the retainer nut not the expander, but it was larger than .202. I was actually .215 which expanded it. So with some time with the drill and a fine file and a polishing stone I got her down to size and ready to load. I dont know if this a new dimension on these but definatly something to keep in mind while starting with these new dies.

Brian

Sorry. I forgot about that quirk. I have several 20 caliber sets and borrowed the retainer pin. On my first 20 LBC. I had to dress one down like you did.

Greg

What is your GO-TO powder for the 20 prac? I have 32gr V-max and 32gr nosler hp? It was looking like in the other forum that Benchmark was an excellent choice.

Benchmark under a 35 Berger. I have some loads for my TACTICAL that will translate as soon as I fill em up.

Greg

25.5 to 26 grains of Benchmark. Seat the bullet .005 of the rifling and you will be amazed at what it will do.

Benchmark under a 35 Berger. I have some loads for my TACTICAL that will translate as soon as I fill em up.

Greg

I will have to locate some of those to play with them.

25.5 to 26 grains of Benchmark. Seat the bullet .005 of the rifling and you will be amazed at what it will do.

ok Thank you. I need to find a good price on powder in stock somewhere. $31.00 a pound is salty in my own opinion

Greg, the 223 die without decapper then the bushing die, WORKS SWEET. I finished my thousand pieces of brass without a hickup last night. After I got those done I tried 3 pieces that weren't presized, the first one got caught by the bushing and was messed up but the other two went fine. I know with Gregs way there is an extra pull of the handle (for me with a rock chucker) but it was worth not having to hassel with it. Thank you again Greg, now it is on to trim, debur, uniform primer pockets, prime and load (a few to get a load figured out)