meh77gmc

BHW in .223Wylde?

Can anyone tell me if BHW offers their AR barrels in this chambering? I would rather have the Wylde chamber due to the throat measurements. The barrel is the last part I need and I am getting itchy to click on the "order" button.

whats better about the throat?

Supposed to be the middle ground between .223 and 5.56. Let's you shoot both with more accuracy than a 5.56 chamber. In all honesty, with the inherent accuracy/inaccuracy of the platform it's hardly a noticeable advantage. If my hammer forged DD barrel can make 1-1.5 moa groups with bulk pmc, a bhw barrel with some good ammo can shoot tighter than that. I've seen it, so I know it can be done.

OP, I'd just go ahead and order the 5.56 bhw.

I would probably get flamed here if I say what I want to say about the 223/556 debate but you made my point that the differences are negligible at best. I do not have a BHW 223/5.56 yet but I do have one from rguns with a "5.56" chamber and It shoots very very well for the price point. If there were much of a difference I would bet BHW would offer the wylde chamber.

I would not give a second thought about which chamber to get, BHW makes a fine product and it will be a shooter.

They don't flame me for some of the ignorant questions i've asked on here, so I don't think you would get flamed for giving your opinion (unless its something completely beligerent). Anyway, here is a good explanation I pulled from Wilson Combat's site explaining the Wylde chamber better than I could.

".223 Wylde is a hybrid .223/5.56 chamber designed by Bill Wylde to yield the accuracy advantages of the match .223 Remington commercial chambering but without pressure or reliability failures when using high velocity 5.56 NATO spec ammunition. The .223 Wylde achieves better accuracy by having a chamber throat that is tighter than 5.56 but will still function reliably with military 5.56 ammunition as the case dimensions are the same."

That is why, if I'm going to spend the money a quality barrel costs, I would like it in that chambering.

BHW only offers 5.56, but with results like the ones in my signature pic.... The proof is in the pudding.

I'm not top notch shooter, just started last year actually, and my BHW 5.56 will do sub .5" at 100 yards all day long

The so called Wyled chamber is a band wagon that a lot of barrel makers are trying to cash in on. I can tell you, I know of at least 7 different versions of the Wyled chamber. So which one is the real one? The answer is, the one Bill Wyled used. The rest are copies with a few tweeks thrown in here and there and still called a Wyled chamber.

The 5.56 chamber in the Black Hole barrels is made on the tight side of a 5.56. It does the same thing as the Wyled and still meets the 5.56 specs. I have personally shot more than a few rounds down a BHW barrel and the accuracy is there with both 5.56 and 223 ammo.

I am grateful for all the input guys. After looking around I couldn't stand the itch anymore. I went ahead and ordered a 24" match grade bbl from BHW. Now its just a 10-12 week wait for the itch medicine to get here.

By the way Caleb, what gun laid down that fine group in your SIG pic?

I am grateful for all the input guys. After looking around I couldn't stand the itch anymore. I went ahead and ordered a 24" match grade bbl from BHW. Now its just a 10-12 week wait for the itch medicine to get here.

By the way Caleb, what gun laid down that fine group in your SIG pic?

Complete custom build using Anderson receivers and a free floated BHW 18" mid length barrel with adjustable gas block and ACE skeleton stock.

Topped with a nikon 4x12 P-223 on a PEPR mount.

402B3927-5026-430E-9F52-1669FDA70D06-566

Ammo was hand loaded 55gr Balistic tip flat base nosler varmegeddon bullets over 25.3gr (MAX+) of IMR 8208xbr powder. Speed I think was right at 3000-3005 FPS.

Here is a pair from a BHW 556 barrel. `100 yards with a 50 VMAX. Good enough for the girls I go with.

RITCH22311-10-2350VMAX2realpic_zps5c4f9b

RITCH22311-10-2350VMAX1realpic_zps08d31e

Greg

Dang! I sure look forward to similar results when mine gets here. Maybe not quite as good, as I don't hand load yet, but I will see what the various factory match loads will do. Y'all got me excited.

You have already decided but here is one more for fun. 100 yards.

81ccccec-838d-41fc-bc15-978134dce7a3_zps

+1 for Greg - awesome groups!, what twist? any pics of 68/69 gr groups?

+1 for Greg - awesome groups!, what twist? any pics of 68/69 gr groups?

1 in 8

Greg

You will be impressed with the BHW 5.56 barrel. Mine is an 18" HBAR profile and with Hornady Superformance 53gr it shoots scary accurate. I used to have a Remington 700 .22-250 that was my "Accuracy" gun. With handloads it would print clover leaves all the time. My BHW does that with factory stuff.

You won't be disappointed.