I had done a little bit of reviewing on the bolt action barrels and from what I gather, they are setup like the savages with a barrel nut on the outside. I have not messed around with customizing bolt actions yet but Im considering a 7mm-08 build either on a rem 700 or ruger m77 action and I think I would prefer to not have the barrel nut.

Any input is appreciated, maybe some pics of how the switch barrel system works would help?

Im also curious if BHW would sell just a contoured blank? I don't know exactly what I want to build but I have thought about doing an improved and don't know if BHW has the reamers for anything like that.

Thanks

Black Hole does not sell barrel blanks at this time. They do make both of the models you are asking about, but with a barrel nut. If you do a build with either of the actions you mentioned, with out the barrel nut, you will need a lathe to set the headspace. Using the nut gives you the freedom to set your headspace where you want it.

As for the improved version of the 7-08. Their policy has been if they don't have it they will either buy the reamer or rent it to cut your chamber.

ok good to know on the improved chambers. I guess Im not totally against the barrel nut but I don't know what they would look like or how it works. Ill have to do some more thinking. From what Im finding an improved 7-08 really wont give me much more in the way of velocity over that standard so Im not sure its worth the expense in this case.

Anybody done a 7-08 in a BHW barrel yet? would be interested in velocity numbers from the poly barrel. So far Im thinking a 24in barrel but have read lots of info stating I wont gain much over the 22in.

I'm not sure I have shot a 7-08. I have shot a 260 quit a bit though. The velocity I was getting with my 24 inch BHW barrel was comparable to my 28 inch Benchmark barrel.

well that's sounds real promising! So what will a guy need in the way of tools or vice or what to do a swap? I think I would still want the action trued up if Im going to do so that would still probably need to see a gunsmith

Not if you use a Savage action. It has a floating bolt head. That is why the Savage platform is so accurate. The bolt head lines up with the round in the chamber not with the action like a Remington.

Changing out a Savage barrel is as easy loosening a lugnut on your truck. All you will need is a nut wrench and a barrel vice. The wrench is available through Midway USA. If you chose to not buy a barrel vice one can be made from hard wood for use in your bench mounted vice.

ok Ya, nothing wrong with a savage, I just have never liked them. Im going to have to do some thinking and see what I decide on doing. Thanks

ok Ya, nothing wrong with a savage, I just have never liked them. Im going to have to do some thinking and see what I decide on doing. Thanks

I never liked them either but once I got one I was hooked. I made my first barrel change in about 15 minutes going slowly!! Using a GO Head Space gauge it is like falling of a log. I bought a barrel vise from Sinclair and a Wheeler wrench for the nut. Piece of cake. I also have pcked up a new 6.8 bolt head and will add 223 and 6 PPC to go with my 308 size. My first fired cases showed exactly 0.001 shoulder movement on my Lapua brass in a 260. Perfect for long case life. I was pretty nervous on the first shot as I had a horror of making the head space too long and destroying a good gun.

Greg

Since we are on the Subject of 7mm-08. I have a Savage Model 10 in .308 If I purchased a 7mm-08 barrel whould I have to do anything extra if I installed it on the .308?

Since we are on the Subject of 7mm-08. I have a Savage Model 10 in .308 If I purchased a 7mm-08 barrel whould I have to do anything extra if I installed it on the .308?

Nope.

Greg

Cool I am going to buy a barrel from you guys someday..... It seems I wander into the gun shop when I have money and run into things I like. Blame James he got your barrel money this year to build me one of his knives :segrin:

I never liked them either but once I got one I was hooked. I made my first barrel change in about 15 minutes going slowly!! Using a GO Head Space gauge it is like falling of a log. I bought a barrel vise from Sinclair and a Wheeler wrench for the nut. Piece of cake. I also have pcked up a new 6.8 bolt head and will add 223 and 6 PPC to go with my 308 size. My first fired cases showed exactly 0.001 shoulder movement on my Lapua brass in a 260. Perfect for long case life. I was pretty nervous on the first shot as I had a horror of making the head space too long and destroying a good gun.

Greg

I have a 223 savage that shoots at a little under a dime at 200. If I were to change the barrel out on it, how hard would it be to get it back together shooting it as it does now? I dont know what caliber, but as it is I only shoot it p-dogging. other than that it is a safe queen.

Make a head space gauge from a piece of brass from your chamber. Measure your fired case, set the shoulder back .001. Seat a fired primer in the sized case and fill with Epoxy. After the Epoxy sets you have a head space gauge that matches your chamber. It is really that simple.