positiverate

Forming brass...

As Redding S dies seem out of stock most everywhere, is there an alternative to forming brass? I have 6.8SPC dies already. I am wondering about using a Grendel dies set to neck down the case set so the shoulder doesn't get touched, then FL through the 6.8 with the expander removed...anybody have any thoughts?

As Redding S dies seem out of stock most everywhere, is there an alternative to forming brass? I have 6.8SPC dies already. I am wondering about using a Grendel dies set to neck down the case set so the shoulder doesn't get touched, then FL through the 6.8 with the expander removed...anybody have any thoughts?

You might get away with it but it would be iffy as the case won't be supported well. Use lots of lube.

Now to make it EASIER if you want to try it here is how to cheat and I ALMOST guarantee it.

Size the case first with a regular 6.8 die with NO GUTS. This will really size the neck down and the Grendel will take it on down quite easily for you.

Sizing fired cases shouldn't be hard doing the repeat process.

Greg

Greg,

Thanks for the info. I am having BHW coat my barrel, so it will be a couple weeks before it is ready. I may just backorder the redding die and not fool with engineering an alternate solution. I was just itchy to get started! You using a .287 bushing? I was looking at a Wilson bushing.

Greg,

Thanks for the info. I am having BHW coat my barrel, so it will be a couple weeks before it is ready. I may just backorder the redding die and not fool with engineering an alternate solution. I was just itchy to get started! You using a .287 bushing? I was looking at a Wilson bushing.

287 or 286 will be perfect with plenty of neck tension. Brass brands vary slightly so a liitle tiny is better than a little loose.

Greg

I called Redding today and asked the wonderful lady that answered whom they have shipped the .287 bushing to that may have some in stock. Midway USA was the answer. I called them and sure enough they have the Titanium version in stock and ready to go. As far as I can tell, they are the only company with any inventory. Brownells/Sinclair won't get any until mid-.late April.

Called BHW to check on my ordered 6.5X6.8 barrel and it shipped today! Fantastic!!! Not bad wait either. Right at 8 weeks total. 24" AR, Standard profile, SS, Target crown. I'm left handed so my spare BHW, railed, LH upper is standing by with a LH Stag 6.8 bolt ready to go!!! Can't wait.

Congratulations. I can usually get bushings locally. Remember other brands like Hornady fit too.

The barrel will be a fun one. EIGHT WEEKS. .. that is better than anyone in the industry made to your specifications.

Greg

Eight weeks is awesome lead time for a custom stick. I got lucky....very lucky....i wanted an 18" and when i called they had one in stock ready to go. They are coating and threading for me, but I looking at 2 weeks! And to think....i almost got a stoner grendel barrel... Congrats on finding the bushing. I ordered a Wilson, but still searching for the darn sizing die to put it in.

If anyone happens to find them in stock could you post it up!! PLEASE!

I need one too. Siting here with the gun and brass ready to go but no dies.

Greg found them a while ago at midsouth shooters but they are out of stock now. Good luck in your search.

Unfortunately I'm in a rural area and not one store carries reloading supplies. We do have a Gander Mountain store nearby but they are a joke. When I was searching I couldn't find a redding, Wilson or anyone with the right bushing which is why I called Redding. The lady on the phone couldn't have been more helpful. Sometimes we have to resort to the good ole fashion method of finding things. Using the phone as a phone and actually speaking to a real person. Wow! Worked this time.

Sinclair is your friend.

Greg

Sinclair is your friend.

Greg

Not my friend! They still show OOS!........

Not my friend! They still show OOS!........

You could tell me and let me find what you need. PayPal could be your friend. I know a few guys.

Greg

Greg found them a while ago at midsouth shooters but they are out of stock now. Good luck in your search.

I have notification emails set to let me know when the Redding dies are in. Been on the list for 2 months at-least. 6.8 dies must be real popular or no market for it yet.

I still need brass also, been looking at every site I can think of for new brass.

Everybody has had brass lately. Midway, Silver State, Sportsmans Guide.

I will look for a custom die maker.

Greg