MinnesotaMulisha

Load Development Questions

When going to the range to do some load testing, do you clean your bore after every new set of loads? Say you have 50 rounds total, 5 each of 10 different loads. Do you clean the bore between each different load?

I just realized this probably isn't the appropriate section for said question. Moderator, can you please move it? Thanks.

I have more barrels that like a somewhat dirty bore than a super clean one. The bets thing i have found for load workup is start with a clean bore, fire 1 or 2 fouler rounds and then proceed on testing. If i do any cleaning in the middle it is with one pass of a bore snake maybe every 20-30 rounds.

When going to the range to do some load testing, do you clean your bore after every new set of loads? Say you have 50 rounds total, 5 each of 10 different loads. Do you clean the bore between each different load?

I just realized this probably isn't the appropriate section for said question. Moderator, can you please move it? Thanks.

Actaully it is a good place to put this. That is a question that more should wonder about.

If you use the same bulet in each load it is not necessary. If you change bullets it might be a good idea to clean the bore as diferent bullets have slightly different plating rates etc.

If you are switching powders from batch to batch with the same bullet it is a good idea to either clean the bore or realize the first few shots may be errant as the powder surface is actually diferrent in the bore as it is laid down and fired. The biggest issue for most of us is taking the time to clean.

Gref

Definately clean if switching bullets (weight, brand or shape) as each will contact the lands at a different point and alter the initial bearing surface interface between various bullet designs.

There is a method (RB06 will have a good link to describe this "method" in greater detail) which alternates shooting the various powder charged loads to represent each loads characteristics as the barrel fouls....and saving time and ammo (i.e. no need to clean between loads and no wasting rounds as fouling fodder shots)

Or you could clean after each load.....just remenber that a few fodder shots are important after each cleaning as a slightly fouled bore is generally considered the most accurate and the first couple fouling shots are often flyers or unrepresentative of the following groupings.

Definately clean if switching bullets (weight, brand or shape) as each will contact the lands at a different point and alter the initial bearing surface interface between various bullet designs.

There is a method (RB06 will have a good link to describe this "method" in greater detail) which alternates shooting the various powder charged loads to represent each loads characteristics as the barrel fouls....and saving time and ammo (i.e. no need to clean between loads and no wasting rounds as fouling fodder shots)

Or you could clean after each load.....just remenber that a few fodder shots are important after each cleaning as a slightly fouled bore is generally considered the most accurate and the first couple fouling shots are often flyers or unrepresentative of the following groupings.

Found the link, but Red will have more to say about this, I'm sure.

http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/#/ocw-vs-ladder/4529811360

Using the OCW method you clean the barrel once you finish the powder/bullet combo. If you are testing 175 SMKs for example and are then going to switch to 178 Amax you would clean between them. The same if you were going from Varget to IMR 4064 with the same bullet. The process is also done with a target for each weight on the back board at the same time doing round robins with one round of each load weight to spread fouling equally between each roataion. By the time you have shot the last round of the lowest load your barrel should be well past the clean bore state.

Actaully it is a good place to put this. That is a question that more should wonder about.

This is a great topic that, IMHO, should be discussed more often and in greater detail. :tiphat:

Most load development topics focus on the charge, bullet, C.O.A.L., seting depth, components, etc and completely forego the PROCESS when testing these loads. If there is not a good, repeatable/consistent process for testing each variation, all the tedious work and OCD attention to detail and exact measurements is in vain, if the testing method produces inconsistent/unreliable data.

Edited by Medic07

If you use the same bulet in each load it is not necessary. If you change bullets it might be a good idea to clean the bore as diferent bullets have slightly different plating rates etc.

If you are switching powders from batch to batch with the same bullet it is a good idea to either clean the bore or realize the first few shots may be errant as the powder surface is actually diferrent in the bore as it is laid down and fired. The biggest issue for most of us is taking the time to clean.

Gref

Thanks for the reply, Greg. If I'm switching powders, what kind of clean is necessary? Should I do a full bore clean, with the wire brush, then wet patches and dry patches until clean or would a run or two with the bore snake be adequate? All of my testing will be done with the same 55 grain bullet. Thanks to everyone for all the input! It is much appreciated!

Between powder or bullet cleanings include using a jag/patch/solvent (of choice :laugh: ) all with the bore guide and coated rod. A Boresnake is NEVER adequate for cleaning....it's purely a field cleaner, IMHO.

I don't clean out all the copper fouling with these cleanings, just the bulk of it and the residue.....as this is another topic in itself. :cool:

And Red, what do you mean by the "OCW" method?

Optimal Charge Weight.

http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/#/ocw-instructions/4529817134

It is different way to develop a load than can produce a load in as few as 20 rounds. So far I have had good results out of it using 2 308 rifles but I have not tried it on my 556 gun.

I can not find the link right now but using this I have come by several sub MOA groups out of my GA Precision rifle, not just sub MOA but several that were sub 1/2 MOA and one (I'll call it a fluke until I can go and reproduce it) one group that was 3 shots measureing around 0.02 center to center.

Cleaning on the range. Two wet patches Butchs Bore Shine. Let set. Ten strokes with bore brush soaked with Butchs. One wet patch. Two dry patches. Shoot away.

Greg

PS: At home it is one or two treatments of Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner.