knife21

BHW 204

Recently completed a Ruger 204 build with Mega upper and lower 10" twist BHW barrel really shoots well with 748 and 40 V-max and 39 BK at 100yds. AT 200 those 1/2 groups go to 3-4 inches, any ideas?

Are you key-holing? 39 and 40 are heavy grains for a .204, but if you have the right load, they should stabilize.

Did you torque your barrel nut to the correct specs? You have a picture of your build?

What type of scope, bipod(if any), trigger...

I shoot he 39 BK's all the time out of 1:10 204's/20's. I have not had that great of luck with the 40 VMAX for some reason. Since it is a BHW I recommend you push them hard. It seems the faster they shoot the better they do. I use a lot of AA2460 and Benchmark. Heavy 748 has worked well for me as has AA2015.

Greg

Barrel is bedded to upper with blue loctite, upper was squared to bolt raceway, barrel nut was torqued to spec, I use 40 ft/lb. Trigger is a geissele DMR with 20 oz. break. SLR rifle works adj. gas block. My other BHW barrels have responded well to heavier loads, I will suggest to my nephew who this rifle was assembled for to give it a little more leg. 39BK are the pits to find here so will soldier on w/v-max till we find BK"s Thanks for the response.

After 10 different powders and seating depths,3 different primers,hot loads ,mild loads,etc. this 20" BHW 204 barrel still will not group less than 1.5" at 200yd. Will disassemble rifle and look for issues and reassemble . Any more thoughts?

Just out of curiosity how does it do at 100? Also what level of accuare you wanting/needing? Neck turning, weighing brass, what dies, deburring flash holes and uniforming pockets?

What bullet? You have come a long ways from those 3-4" groups.

I've been giving this a lot of thought and actually consulted with a top shooter. The culprit is quite likely the parrallax. A half at 100 with only a minor mis-adjustment coud increase to your level. Also if you are shooting magazine length the likelihood of doing much better is pretty distant. Loaded long and single shotted you would probably see some improvement. To what degree would be questionable but educational for sure.

Greg

Brass is prepped as usual pockets squared,flashhole deburred,trimmed to same length,shoulder bumped no more than 3 thou. loaded to mag. length. It will do .625 to .750 at 100. Never has been a .375 barrel unlike my other BHW barrels. Me thinks a .20 Practical would have been a better choice.

Brass is prepped as usual pockets squared,flashhole deburred,trimmed to same length,shoulder bumped no more than 3 thou. loaded to mag. length. It will do .625 to .750 at 100. Never has been a .375 barrel unlike my other BHW barrels. Me thinks a .20 Practical would have been a better choice.

Looks like you have done your due dilligence on that one. What bullet are you using? I have had some 20's that hated the Hornadys but loved the Sierras. I do prefer the Practical for several reasons. I guess the magazine length issue is the biggy plus the cheap brass. I do shoot three 204's but they are bolt guns. I think you have a sub-MOA barrel but it just isn't as sub as the others.

Greg

Greg

The BHW 204 has finally come to her milk 39 SBK over VV-540 (close to max) will do a 10 shot group with a mag change at .450ish and 200 yds at .775. ASC mags used and oal was 2.30" Too bad 540 is expensive and hard to find however when it shoot good I don't complain.

The BHW 204 has finally come to her milk 39 SBK over VV-540 (close to max) will do a 10 shot group with a mag change at .450ish and 200 yds at .775. ASC mags used and oal was 2.30" Too bad 540 is expensive and hard to find however when it shoot good I don't complain.

That's great news. Keep us posted on your future endeavors. I need to whip up a new load for my PRACTICAL and a screamer for the 22X6.8.

Greg

Not to highjack an old thread but I recently ordered another 204 bhw barrel

I had a savage 204 factory heavy 26" and it loved the 39bk with varget. I could not get the 40vmax or bergers to shoot. I sure hope my new one will like the 39bk since I think I still have around 700 of them.

Not to highjack an old thread but I recently ordered another 204 bhw barrel

I had a savage 204 factory heavy 26" and it loved the 39bk with varget. I could not get the 40vmax or bergers to shoot. I sure hope my new one will like the 39bk since I think I still have around 700 of them.

I think you will be a happy camper. All the 20's we have been shooting have been delivering great accuracy with the 39's. THat on is my favorite for PD's.

Greg

Welcome to the board. Jump in and enjoy.