78maverick

Need some powder suggestions

Just received a 22" BHW 1/8 twist barrel chambered in 6.5x68. Since the chambering is fairly new, there isn't much load info out there. I suppose Grendel data could be used as a starting point, but I suspect that different powders would be more appropriate for the 6.5x68 due to the higher pressures. My main goal is to find some accurate hunting loads that are effective when loaded to magazine length in the AR.

Here are the powders I have on hand:

Reloader 10x

IMR 4198

H 335

W 748

TAC

AA 2230

VV 133 & 135

BLC-2

CFE 223

I also have some slower powders like VV 140, RL-15, and H4895.

Bullets I have been able to find:

Sierra 85g HP

Sierra 100g HP

Sierra 120g spitzer

Barnes 100g TTSX

Figure to stick with bullets less than 1.25" in length, but 6.5mm bullets are scarce right now, especially Hornady. Have also discovered that there is a much better selection of 6mm bullets that work in the 6x45 and 6x68 than there are 6.5mm.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

John

Edited by 78maverick

Just received a 22" BHW 1/8 twist barrel chambered in 6.5x68. Since the chambering is fairly new, there isn't much load info out there. I suppose Grendel data could be used as a starting point, but I suspect that different powders would be more appropriate for the 6.5x68 due to the higher pressures. My main goal is to find some accurate hunting loads that are effective when loaded to magazine length in the AR.

Here are the powders I have on hand:

Reloader 10x

IMR 4198

H 335

W 748

TAC

AA 2230

VV 133 & 135

BLC-2

CFE 223

I also have some slower powders like VV 140, RL-15, and H4895.

Bullets I have been able to find:

Sierra 85g HP

Sierra 100g HP

Sierra 120g spitzer

Barnes 100g TTSX

Figure to stick with bullets less than 1.25" in length, but 6.5mm bullets are scarce right now, especially Hornady. Have also discovered that there is a much better selection of 6mm bullets that work in the 6x45 and 6x68 than there are 6.5mm.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

John

Actually you can use all the same powders as the Grendel. You can also use the data from the Grendel. My favorite powder is IMR 8208. I have also tried CFE 223 with some good results.

Your choice of bullets is right on the money. The Sierra 85gr hollow point will put down any coyote out there. It has also been one of the most accurate bullet I've shot. The Seirra 120 and the Nosler 123 custom comp. are also working very well. The Nosler 123 is my favorite go to bullet I can't comment on the Barns because I don't shoot them. For an exultant target bullet try the Seirra 107. They are to long to be shot out of a magazine but are phenomenal for F-Class, when loading single shot

The two cartridges have the same capacity. Where the 6.5X6.8 really shines is the ability to work at higher pressure. This means higher velocity. The other problems of the Grendel like failure to feed, broken bolts and extractors is non-existent with the 6.8 based cartridges.

Matbe I should get up at 4:00 AM!! Aoid 748 ifd you shoot in the heat and don't compress H335. Look at the 123 Nosler CC's. They are what we are shooting the little groups. Almost anything below 130 will meet your needs.

Ritch is of course right on the nose on this.

Greg

Ritch and Greg,

Thanks a bunch. One more question - for the heavier bullets, what is the slowest powder that you think would work? Realize that case capacity is often the limiting factor with slower powders, but some of the ball or finer stick powders might work.

I'll post results as soon as I get some!

John

Ritch and Greg,

Thanks a bunch. One more question - for the heavier bullets, what is the slowest powder that you think would work? Realize that case capacity is often the limiting factor with slower powders, but some of the ball or finer stick powders might work.

I'll post results as soon as I get some!

John

I believe 335 but i am on my phone. You might want to research it yourself as if you are getting into handloading the burn rate chart is something you need to be familiar with.

Greg

Thanks again. I've been reloading long enough to know that burn rate charts are no more than a static comparison of differing burn rates - case capacity, bullet weight, pressures and conditions all affect how a powder will compare with another. Plus, I've never been able to square up how one manufacturer's chart differs from another's. Gonna have to get QuickLoads before long . . .

John

Thanks again. I've been reloading long enough to know that burn rate charts are no more than a static comparison of differing burn rates - case capacity, bullet weight, pressures and conditions all affect how a powder will compare with another. Plus, I've never been able to square up how one manufacturer's chart differs from another's. Gonna have to get QuickLoads before long . . .

John

Save your money. Quick Load is not and I repeat not a data source you can rely on. It has steered me wrong more than once. The best way to find a load is shoot it your self. Start low and work your way up. Probably the best starting data out there is from Hogdon's. It's not over the top and will get you headed in the right direction. Your question about which powders you can use? As far as I can tell from the testing I have done CFE 223 is as slow as I would go. But then this is a wildcat and that's how you find loads. Experiment with it and enjoy your barrel. Make sure you post your results for the rest of us to look over.