Sign in to follow this  
GIDave

DW CBOB -- Headache

I have a DW CBOB 10mm which I bought new, but have not had the chance to shoot much. When I got it, I put a magazine through it, and it went into the safe. I was in a non-gun friendly state at the time (Hawaii) and couldn't be bothered.

Now that I moved to Arizona, I broke out the CBOB and couldn't be more disappointed. The pistol is, in essence, a new pistol and hasn't been broken in, so I took all the FTFs and FTEs with 200gr Blazers and 200gr DTs with stride. But three hundred rounds through it, the weapon continues to FTF and FTE. The only round the pistol likes is Hornandy 180gr JHPs. THAT'S IT.

Thinking the issue was the fact the pistol doesn't have a ramped barrel (like my Kimber TEII, which eats EVERYTHING), I contacted Glenn Davis at Dan Wesson, explaining my issue, and requesting a ramped barrel be installed. I figured the pistol was so new-ish, it wouldn't be a problem, especially since the pistol continued to malfunction with commercial ammunition.

In short, I will NEVER buy another Dan Wesson product again, and will never advocate the purchase of one. Mr. Davis was extremely rude to me, which I can handle, but then balked when I suggested the ramped barrel be installed at DW expense. He stated that I should send the pistol to them for a "tune up" (BS IMO), and then went on vacation. He wanted to charge me north of $400 for a ramped barrel installation.

His excuse was that the pistol was never designed to handle normal 10mm loads, that it would handle dumbed-down rounds to "my own admission" (when I said the pistol fired fine with Hornandy 180s).

No wonder 1. They stopped making them and 2. They now put in ramped barrels from the factory.

To summarize: almost brand-new CBOB 10mm continues to malfunction with factory ammunition (even FMJs), prefers only one kind of ammunition, worst customer service EVER, is a very accurate single-shot 10mm automatic.

Yes, I have changed magazines. It's not a magazine problem.

Tune up. Yeah, right.

UPDATE ON MY DAN WESSON 10MM CBOB

The good folks at Dan Wesson balked at installing a ramped barrel on my bought-as-new CBOB, instead requesting over $400.00 to have it done. I said no, I can't afford it.

The cryptic messages I've forced out of them say they've "made the proper corrections" and will send it back to me (jacked up, I'm supposing), but it will take awhile since they're waiting for 10mm rounds to come in to test the weapon, and 10mm rounds are so scarce.

I have to call bullsh#it on the lack of 10mm ammunition availability. Unless they're waiting for something exotic or super-popular (e.g. Remington 180gr FMJ), 10mm rounds are EVERWHERE in all bullet weights. I love how Dan Wesson does business nowadays: professional, adroit and resistant to the temptation of insulting the intelligence of those who spent a lot of money to buy their product. This is all sarcasm.

Doing my research, I've found a large population of Dan Wesson 10mm consumers who are more than happy with their money. Good for you guys! Seriously. I wish I was one of them. I really do. When my CBOB fired and cycled, it was very accurate. I was convinced the folks at Dan Wesson would fix this problem without giving me grief. I was wrong. BTW, like all good consumers conversing with companies who don't live up to their claims, I've saved all email correspondence with Dan Wesson, especially the rude exchanges.

So, when my CBOB returns, it'll return without a ramped barrel. It'll return with a message, I'm convinced, along the lines of: "We couldn't find anything wrong with the pistol and refuse to install a ramped barrel at our expense, although we stopped making pistols without ramped barrels when we discovered they had gross feeding problems. Good luck."

My Kimber 10mms (Eclipse Custom II and TLE/RL) function perfectly. Why? Ramped barrel, and the support they give the 10mm. As a retired public affairs officer, I shake my head at why the hell Dan Wesson won't be proactive, reach out to those owners of weapons without ramped barrels and fix them without asking, or begging. It's just good business.

My non-ramped Dan Wesson 10mm will be in my hands soon. I have no idea what I'll do with it. Trust me life with it will be the last thing.

I am not sure how to send a private message or an email through this website (can't find an option to do so).

Would you be interested in selling your pistol?

I am not sure how to send a private message or an email through this website (can't find an option to do so).

Would you be interested in selling your pistol?

Click on GIDave's name above his avatar and it will go to his user page. There you will see an option to send a private message.

Good luck.

I wonder how the story ended......

Yeah, I am curious too. I didn't have very good luck with my Kimber Stainless Target II but I have at least a half-dozen DW (pre-cz) 10mm's and I LOVE them!

I love my CBOB. A few hic-ups at first, i kind of expected it needed a break in period as tight as the pistol is. She smoothed right out and runs flawless with any ammo I feed it. Did the DW rep. actually say that they were not designed for full power 10mm's? Damn, I have been running DT Equalizers, and 180grGD's........I do not want to load 40 loads in my 10mm's.

I sold it.

I read about DW CBOBs with ramped barrels behaving nominally with factory ammunition. Mine did not have a factory ramped barrel, thus could not fire standard 10mm ammunition due to its unsupported (nonexistent) ramp.

This is the point: I sent the pistol back to DW and they told me I would have to pay to get a ramped barrel installed, which they should have done in the first place.

THAT is the point. Who cares now.

I sold it.

I read about DW CBOBs with ramped barrels behaving nominally with factory ammunition. Mine did not have a factory ramped barrel, thus could not fire standard 10mm ammunition due to its unsupported (nonexistent) ramp.

This is the point: I sent the pistol back to DW and they told me I would have to pay to get a ramped barrel installed, which they should have done in the first place.

THAT is the point. Who cares now.

You know, I had a Chevrolet pickup with the 6.2 Diesel engine. The very next year, Chevrolet brought out the 6.5 turbocharged Diesel. More horsepower, better fuel economy, everything I really wanted. I called the Chevrolet dealer, and he told me it would cost $10,000 to install the 6.5 engine that it should have come with from the factory. After all, they realized that everyone wanted more power and better mileage, and my truck should have come with the bigger engine from the factory, or they should have been willing to install it at their expense. They realized that they could make an improvement, they should have made an exception for me, right?

You know, I had a Chevrolet pickup with the 6.2 Diesel engine. The very next year, Chevrolet brought out the 6.5 turbocharged Diesel. More horsepower, better fuel economy, everything I really wanted. I called the Chevrolet dealer, and he told me it would cost $10,000 to install the 6.5 engine that it should have come with from the factory. After all, they realized that everyone wanted more power and better mileage, and my truck should have come with the bigger engine from the factory, or they should have been willing to install it at their expense. They realized that they could make an improvement, they should have made an exception for me, right?

Yes, especially if they had done that swap for free in the past. At some point, DW decided they were not going to install ramped barrels on their non-ramped guns after a period of time. Having a non-ramped 10mm is a little different than your little truck story, but thanks for sharing anyway.

Yes, especially if they had done that swap for free in the past. At some point, DW decided they were not going to install ramped barrels on their non-ramped guns after a period of time. Having a non-ramped 10mm is a little different than your little truck story, but thanks for sharing anyway.

No, it really isn't. They offered some people, out of kindness, and were under no obligation to do so, to convert their guns to ramped configuration. They then decided to stop that practice. I can't see running down a company because they didn't spend hundreds of dollars on your behalf, for a gun that was a few years old when you put it in service, or at least a few years old when you first found any defect, because you "couldn't be bothered" to shoot it. DW has had excellent customer service for as long as the company has been back in business, long before Bob Serva sold out to CZ. A gun company has to make money, and when they're adding the latest features to old guns for free, they're not going to make money for very long. The fact that they worked on the gun at all (considering it was probably outside of it's warranty period) is a testament to their good customer service.

I'm glad you sold it, I'm glad you moved along to find something that suited your tastes.

I do not understand how a non ramped barrel would leave any portion of the cartridge unsupported??? Mine has no ramp on the barrel and I use only full power 10mm rounds. No problems what so ever. As a matter of fact the whole post just smells a little funny lately. Ban-o-Matic I like your last post.

That thing about the low power 10mm sounds like total BS. Why would they design a 10mm to run on glorified 40 cal? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. IMO, it sounds like the rep was blowing smoke up the OP's arse. I've had company's try to do that to me. They'll say anything to avoid having to admit that they screwed up. I'm reminded of my recent conversation with Ruger during which a rep tried to convince me that the magazine was intentionally designed to be inserted at one angle, then pushed forward to lock into place. That makes total sense, right? The best part was how my shipping label was magically already in the mail as soon as I mentioned the file marks on the magazine catch. I guess I wasn't supposed to see those. :bellylaf:

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with such a pricy gun. That sucks. This is a clear case of them using their paying customers as lab rats. There's nothing that gets my goat more than when companies release new products without testing them, then refuse to own up to it. It's not right to charge people full price when they're essentially unwitting participants in some misguided R&D project. IMO, they should have fixed it, then gave you a refund for all the ammo you wasted on it.

Pepper, I see what you're saying with your truck, and yes, it sucks when the company comes out with what you wanted originally. While it may not have been exactly what you were wanting, you got a working truck that performed the way you expected when you bought it. You knew what you were getting. A modern gun that only works with one type of factory ammo is broke as far as I'm concerned, and DW should have fixed it. The OP expected a working gun. It was advertised as a 10mm, so he assumed it would work with standard pressure 10mm. I'm guessing that the description didn't say anything about it being designed for low pressure only ammo?

• Like 1

Pepper, I see what you're saying with your truck, and yes, it sucks when the company comes out with what you wanted originally. While it may not have been exactly what you were wanting, you got a working truck that performed the way you expected when you bought it. You knew what you were getting. A modern gun that only works with one type of factory ammo is broke as far as I'm concerned, and DW should have fixed it. The OP expected a working gun. It was advertised as a 10mm, so he assumed it would work with standard pressure 10mm. I'm guessing that the description didn't say anything about it being designed for low pressure only ammo?

The story about the truck was made up, and just an analogy. I wanted to demonstrate that it was foolish to expect a gun company to completely revamp a customer's pistol at a cost of several hundred dollars, when the gun is several years old, and may be made to work properly with regular loads. They offered to fix it, but just wouldn't do it the way the OP wanted. I just don't think his expectations were all that realistic.

The story about the truck was made up, and just an analogy. I wanted to demonstrate that it was foolish to expect a gun company to completely revamp a customer's pistol at a cost of several hundred dollars, when the gun is several years old, and may be made to work properly with regular loads. They offered to fix it, but just wouldn't do it the way the OP wanted. I just don't think his expectations were all that realistic.

I would have been upset, too. And the fact that they changed it, and were offering free upgrades to the old ones, clearly shows that they knew they screwed up bad. Companies don't just offer people free upgrades. And they weren't offering a free upgrade; they were fixing broken guns. As far as the time span, most companies offer lifetime warranties against defects. Why should it matter how long he had it? Like I said, they released a half baked product. There's no way to get around it. And what a cowardly tactic to try to claim it was designed to shoot only downloaded 10mm. Even if it were true, it's no less contemptuous. How would you feel if you bought a gun and they didn't disclose something like that?

I had a similar experience with a climbing pack I bought once. It had just come on the market, and the fit was just terrible. The straps hit in all the wrong spots. It was blatantly obvious that they hadn't done any field testing before releasing it because it was a torture device more than an Alpine pack. So I called up the company and explained to them what was wrong, and asked them to take it back. They refused. The next thing I knew, they released an updated version with all the changes I had suggested to them. And it wasn't because I told them; they already knew. Everybody knew. They knew they had screwed up, and they immediately fixed it. But they left all their loyal customers holding the bag with the failed first generation. And they knew it.

• Like 1