AR15Armory.com

DW CBOB -- Headache

The CBOB wasn't half baked. It is a damned fine pistol. They converted some guns, though I haven't heard from anyone that says DW/CZ did it on their own dime. Lots of guns run well without ramped barrels.

The OP is relaying facts as he knows them, only he and DW know if they're accurate. We're getting a third hand account of what was said, regarding a company that usually has stellar service, and whose prior owner answered the phone himself. I've owned DW products before, and experienced their customer service.

As far as time limit, they offer a 5 year warranty. If he didn't shoot it in that first 5 years, that's his issue, not theirs. If they fixed it anyway, good on them. DW hasn't left it's customers hanging, they've done good things for them again and again. They produce a quality product that as I said before, I'm glad that the OP sold if he wasn't happy with it. I just wouldn't rush to condemn DW on the basis of this story.

• Like 1

The CBOB wasn't half baked. It is a damned fine pistol. They converted some guns, though I haven't heard from anyone that says DW/CZ did it on their own dime. Lots of guns run well without ramped barrels.

The OP is relaying facts as he knows them, only he and DW know if they're accurate. We're getting a third hand account of what was said, regarding a company that usually has stellar service, and whose prior owner answered the phone himself. I've owned DW products before, and experienced their customer service.

As far as time limit, they offer a 5 year warranty. If he didn't shoot it in that first 5 years, that's his issue, not theirs. If they fixed it anyway, good on them. DW hasn't left it's customers hanging, they've done good things for them again and again. They produce a quality product that as I said before, I'm glad that the OP sold if he wasn't happy with it. I just wouldn't rush to condemn DW on the basis of this story.

HansTheHobbit nailed it on the head. BLUF: DW initially made a pistol unsuited for full-power (read: regular) 10mm rounds by selling a pistol WO an unsupported barrel. They then started making it WITH a supported barrel, realizing their error, and offered to replace the unsupported barrel with a supported one for customers of the prior. They did not make the replacement for me when requested.

Pepper, DW should hire you. However your analogy about the truck is non sequitor. A more proper, intelligent analogy would be if you bought a truck without an airbag, the company realized their mistake, and offered you an airbag free of charge. And then didn't offer it free of charge. I know that's stretching it a bit, but everyone knows (almost) that you cannot safely fire standard 10mm loads (e.g. Norma, Buffalo Bore) through a 1911 without sufficient chamber support.

This is with respect for your love of DW, of course, and you can have it. I hope we can consider this horse beaten to death.

• 4 weeks later...

If you would please explain to me how or where a chamber is unsupported on an unramped barrel? Typically in a pistol the only area of the barrel/chamber that is not supported would be the ramped area........I am seriously concerned, if there is a potential problem with my DW CBOB I want to know more information please.

If you would please explain to me how or where a chamber is unsupported on an unramped barrel? Typically in a pistol the only area of the barrel/chamber that is not supported would be the ramped area........I am seriously concerned, if there is a potential problem with my DW CBOB I want to know more information please.

Look how smart you are! I misspoke, and you know it. There are two types of DW CBOBs: the one with an unsupported/unramped barrel and one with the better ramped version. Yes please, by all means, fire normal (AGAIN read: those loads meant to be 10mm, not 10mm weak) rounds through your DW CBOB with an unramped barrel. Good luck. As for me, the more intelligent route would be to fire so-called "full-house" loads through a 1911 10mm pistol with a ramped barrel. If you are firing a DW CBOB without a ramped barrel, I would recommend you find some Norma 200 or 170JHP, Underwood, or Buffalo Bore rounds and see how the pistol performs after a couple hundred rounds. If you're afraid of doing that, get a .40 SW and save us all a lot of grief.

I am looking at my CBOB barrel and there is no ramp. Totally supported 360 degrees. I have fired thousands of full power 180gr @ 1350fps. My standard load for my 10mm's. For carry rounds I use Double Tap 180gr Gold Dots and the 200gr Equalizers. I have been shooting and loading rounds for the 10mm for 25 years now. No light loads, had a 40 Short and Week,,,,,,Gave it to my young son.

Please tell us why you would recommend doing something that you would consider dangerous to a fellow member of this group of 10mm lovers? I for one find your negative attitude a bit alarming, even DW offered to make it work for you and you refused their offer. How can you complain when you will not let them fix it???

I am looking at my CBOB barrel and there is no ramp. Totally supported 360 degrees. I have fired thousands of full power 180gr @ 1350fps. My standard load for my 10mm's. For carry rounds I use Double Tap 180gr Gold Dots and the 200gr Equalizers. I have been shooting and loading rounds for the 10mm for 25 years now. No light loads, had a 40 Short and Week,,,,,,Gave it to my young son.

Please tell us why you would recommend doing something that you would consider dangerous to a fellow member of this group of 10mm lovers? I for one find your negative attitude a bit alarming, even DW offered to make it work for you and you refused their offer. How can you complain when you will not let them fix it??

DW offered to fix their mistake for $235. Read, FIX THEIR MISTAKE FOR $235. You have fired thousands of rounds of normal 10mm through your pistol. Great. I don't understand what you mean by saying why I would recommend doing something I would consider dangerous. I am doing the opposite.

However, you do have a point. I thought you would actually understand my salient points. I guess I was wrong, and you are right. Enjoy!

DW offered to fix their mistake for $235. Read, FIX THEIR MISTAKE FOR $235. You have fired thousands of rounds of normal 10mm through your pistol. Great. I don't understand what you mean by saying why I would recommend doing something I would consider dangerous. I am doing the opposite.

However, you do have a point. I thought you would actually understand my salient points. I guess I was wrong, and you are right. Enjoy!

No, they fixed the pistol for free. They wanted to charge you $235 for an upgrade that is now offered on newer models. Read, UPGRADE. If you desperately wanted a ramped barrel model, buy a ramped barrel model. You bought a gun, you didn't shoot it for a couple years, they changed what they offered. Why is it their responsibility to upgrade all their old guns to the new version? Should I scream about Ruger coming out with an LC9S right after I purchased an LC9? No. Should I expect them to give me an LC9S if I send them my LC9? No. I bought what I bought, and if I want the new version, I should expect to either pay them to upgrade mine (if that's even possible), or go out and buy a new one that has the striker mechanism I want. You bought what you bought, and if you don't like it, buy a new one. Whining on a gun board that someone wouldn't give you something for nothing is beyond silly.

• Like 1

No, they fixed the pistol for free. They wanted to charge you $235 for an upgrade that is now offered on newer models. Read, UPGRADE. If you desperately wanted a ramped barrel model, buy a ramped barrel model. You bought a gun, you didn't shoot it for a couple years, they changed what they offered. Why is it their responsibility to upgrade all their old guns to the new version? Should I scream about Ruger coming out with an LC9S right after I purchased an LC9? No. Should I expect them to give me an LC9S if I send them my LC9? No. I bought what I bought, and if I want the new version, I should expect to either pay them to upgrade mine (if that's even possible), or go out and buy a new one that has the striker mechanism I want. You bought what you bought, and if you don't like it, buy a new one. Whining on a gun board that someone wouldn't give you something for nothing is beyond silly.

I'll try once again to explain this situation a little slower.

DW sold a pistol which could not handle 10mm rounds. That in itself is a discussion. What is a 10mm? To me, it is a Norma-class round. That's my baseline. If it isn't yours, then you have a glorified .40SW.

DW decided to replace their rampless weapons with a ramp, no charge. They realized their error and tried to correct it. This means they realized their mistake and tried to change it. At some point, they decided that this error correction was not worthy of it being on their dime. They decided to charge the people who bought their weapons, under the guise of it being able to fire 10mm, under the auspices of who cares. And people like you.

Look, I realize you are not reading this and don't care. Logic obviously does not matter to you. It's sad, because I love the 10mm but hate when companies screw their consumers.

Done.

I'll try once again to explain this situation a little slower.

DW sold a pistol which could not handle 10mm rounds. That in itself is a discussion. What is a 10mm? To me, it is a Norma-class round. That's my baseline. If it isn't yours, then you have a glorified .40SW.

DW decided to replace their rampless weapons with a ramp, no charge. They realized their error and tried to correct it. This means they realized their mistake and tried to change it. At some point, they decided that this error correction was not worthy of it being on their dime. They decided to charge the people who bought their weapons, under the guise of it being able to fire 10mm, under the auspices of who cares. And people like you.

Look, I realize you are not reading this and don't care. Logic obviously does not matter to you. It's sad, because I love the 10mm but hate when companies screw their consumers.

Done.

Look, I realize you're not getting the logic either in the way things worked out. I'd imagine that if you'd not put your gun on a shelf for a few years before firing it, they might have been a bit more receptive to working with you, you know. like they were with the other owners who complained in a timely manner. How long are they supposed to add features to old guns, for free? Forever?

I too hate when companies screw their customers. But not giving someone a few hundred dollars in upgrades for free, several years after the original purchase, isn't what I call screwing someone.

Done.

No, that wasn't a rhetorical question. I don't think you understand what a rhetorical question is. You haven't understood this argument, so, sir, you are one of two things. A complete idiot or someone flaming me on this board. If the latter, touche! If the former, well, sorry about that. Seek help.

by definition re: A rhetorical question is a figure of speech in the form of a question that is asked in order to make a point rather than to elicit an answer.

on your original post you state: "No wonder 1. They stopped making them and 2. They now put in ramped barrels from the factory."

So the answer to the question you ask has already been answered in the original post. That makes it what kind of question? If not rhetorical then redundant.

• 3 weeks later...