travmack

20P Load data

So I ordered a 20" barrel about 4 weeks ago. I was told 8-12 weeks before delivery. You can imagine my excitement when I received a shipping confirmation less than 2 weeks later. I spent the next 5 days watching the tracking info like a damn hawk. I see that my barrel arrived at FedEx in Kansas City, (I live about 3.5 hrs away) and I'm thinking I'll see the barrel in about a day. Apparently FedEx needs a new map. My barrel went from KC to Charlotte, NC then back to KC. 4 days after the scheduled delivery I finally receive a beautiful barrel.

Now to my actual question:

Does anyone have some starting load data for the 20P using CFE 223 on a rifle length gas system? I have some Barnes Varminator 32gr FB HP and some 40gr VMAX. I already have several pounds of the CFE that I would like try, but am fairly new to reloading and don't exactly trust myself to find a safe starting load without being extremely low. I am still waiting on a couple more pieces before i can have it all put together, but I have about 200 pieces of brass sized already.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Travis

So I ordered a 20" barrel about 4 weeks ago. I was told 8-12 weeks before delivery. You can imagine my excitement when I received a shipping confirmation less than 2 weeks later. I spent the next 5 days watching the tracking info like a damn hawk. I see that my barrel arrived at FedEx in Kansas City, (I live about 3.5 hrs away) and I'm thinking I'll see the barrel in about a day. Apparently FedEx needs a new map. My barrel went from KC to Charlotte, NC then back to KC. 4 days after the scheduled delivery I finally receive a beautiful barrel.

Now to my actual question:

Does anyone have some starting load data for the 20P using CFE 223 on a rifle length gas system? I have some Barnes Varminator 32gr FB HP and some 40gr VMAX. I already have several pounds of the CFE that I would like try, but am fairly new to reloading and don't exactly trust myself to find a safe starting load without being extremely low. I am still waiting on a couple more pieces before i can have it all put together, but I have about 200 pieces of brass sized already.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Travis

Welcome to te borad. I missed this post.

I would look in the neighborhood of 27 grains + or - if I were doing a work up on the CFE and the 40's. For the 32's I would be in the 29.0 + or - range. I haven't shot it in mine but that should get you ball bark starting. Basically a beginning 204 charge oughto work out for yo wit jjudicious movement up .

YMMV and be cuatious.

Greg

Thanks for the reply greg. I finally got it all put together and am just getting ready load some up. I'll post back and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for the reply greg. I finally got it all put together and am just getting ready load some up. I'll post back and let you know how it turns out.

Keep us posted. It is by far my favorite 20 in an AR. Laser is the only way to deascribe it. Pull the trigger and hear the hit...what's not to like?

Greg

so as I am fighting the newborn reloading blues, I found a couple more powders. I managed to pick a pound of Benchmark, pound of h335, and a pound of 8208xbr. I ended up using up the rest of my cfe223 on .223 rounds. I still have some 32gr varminator flat based bullets that suck to load. However, I bought some 40gr vmax and some 32gr barnes bullets that should be here in the next 1 to 1.5 months. any loads and COAL that anybody has loaded these up to? GLShooter, would you have a problem with me" PM' ing you with questions?

No problem. PM away.

Greg

I guess life caught up to me and I got a little busy. I was only able to fire about 20 rounds so far. I think I may have a brass sizing issue. On my fired brass, using a hornaday headspace comparator i'm measuring 1.461 to the shoulder. Once i run it through my die it measures 1.451. Does this sound right pushing the shoulder back this far?

The sized cases will chamber in my gun, but I have to let the BCG drop from about halfway in order to chamber the round. They are trimmed to 1.75 and were necked down with a .225 die. I have a .226 and .227 on order just because I think the 225 is a little too small, but my .228 is a little large with some of the different brass.

Sorry for the simple questions but this is my first go at a wildcat

I guess life caught up to me and I got a little busy. I was only able to fire about 20 rounds so far. I think I may have a brass sizing issue. On my fired brass, using a hornaday headspace comparator i'm measuring 1.461 to the shoulder. Once i run it through my die it measures 1.451. Does this sound right pushing the shoulder back this far?

The sized cases will chamber in my gun, but I have to let the BCG drop from about halfway in order to chamber the round. They are trimmed to 1.75 and were necked down with a .225 die. I have a .226 and .227 on order just because I think the 225 is a little too small, but my .228 is a little large with Gh some of the different brass.

Sorry for the simple questions but this is my first go at a wildcat

Questions are good. Turn the die out. You only want 0.004 sizing on the shoulders. You are probably bulging yours a tad plus wearing the brass out.

What is a loaded neck measurement? Take that and subtract 0.003 or 0.004 and you have your bushing size. Better a bit tighter if you must. Don't go over 0.006 smaller. It will harm your accuracy something terrible.

Greg

thanks for the response. A loaded neck measures 2.228, so it looks like I'll be sticking with the .225 bushing after all.

thanks for the response. A loaded neck measures 2.228, so it looks like I'll be sticking with the .225 bushing after all.

How are you making brass?

Greg

Once fired .223 decapped, FL sized with rcbs die with expander removed. Then through redding bushing die with .233 bushing, 228, and finally a 225 bushing.

I go from gutted 223 and to the final bushing. I have also found the Dillon trimmer squeezes the necks down so far as to be criminal. Almost like a gutted die. I can pour once fired 223 in my 650 case feeder, decap, trim with the big boy and then do the 20 PRACTICAL bushing die. I can make around 500/hour.

I am loading the 35 Bergers right now. I picked up 500 a few months ago. Keep us up to date on your results.

Greg

I definitely will. Once again, thanks for timely, well informed advice. I'm just trying to soak up any/all info that I can get.

No fancy blue equipment for me yet, i'm just getting into this. Got the rock solid rockchucker that my dad bought when I was born in '78.

On the subject of trimmers. I have a wft .223 that I have been using for the .20. It spaces of of the shoulder so I figured it would work for now. Am I thinking this through correctly?

I definitely will. Once again, thanks for timely, well informed advice. I'm just trying to soak up any/all info that I can get.

No fancy blue equipment for me yet, i'm just getting into this. Got the rock solid rockchucker that my dad bought when I was born in '78.

On the subject of trimmers. I have a wft .223 that I have been using for the .20. It spaces of of the shoulder so I figured it would work for now. Am I thinking this through correctly?

That is the best questions I have had. I sent the guy a note and never heard back. I don't think it will work. I guess I burn some cell time tomorrow and find out. I say no because if it works that way one would handle 243-7/08-260-308 & 358. That would cut sales by a huge amount. We will know tomorrow at this time.

Greg

Definitely not trying to argue with you, but as far as I know the wft trimmers space off of a specific caliber cartridge shoulder. That's why I thought it would work with that particular trimmer. Please let me know your thoughts.