Alden

Retro shaving

Anybody here into old style shaving? It's something else I have fallen into in the last few months. Very satisfying and enjoyable, as opposed to using the multiblade cartridge style ripoff razors.

DSC_2754-L.jpg

013-L.jpg

007-2-L.jpg

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/04/26/how-to-shave-like-your-grandpa-an-instructional-film-video/

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/01/31/how-to-shave-with-a-straight-razor-video/

I'd like to get a stainless steel or silver/gold plated "safety razor" kit. I have to use a razor on my neck to avoid bumps and ingrown hairs there too. I use electric for my face, though......I'd love to try a set out. :D:

I don't have much facial hair and what I have grows slowly. So I mostly just use my hair clipper to knock down the high spots every few days or so. However, I am seriously thinking of getting a nice old school single blade razor like you have pictured. The blades are cheap and they last forever.

I used to like a brush, and a single blade disposable. Now I use a Panasonic electric-I can use soap if I want, take it in the shower, use it dry, whatever. I still use a Bic once in a while, but I've switched to electric.

No way in the world I would use a straight razor, and I sure as hell wouldn't let someone else use a razor on me.

I have been looking at straight razors for awhile, seems expensive for trimming around my beard.

I'd like to get a stainless steel or silver/gold plated "safety razor" kit. I have to use a razor on my neck to avoid bumps and ingrown hairs there too. I use electric for my face, though......I'd love to try a set out. :D:

You know that cartridge type multiblades actually contribute to the bumps and ingrown hairs, right? Some people think they actually cause them.

I don't have much facial hair and what I have grows slowly. So I mostly just use my hair clipper to knock down the high spots every few days or so. However, I am seriously thinking of getting a nice old school single blade razor like you have pictured. The blades are cheap and they last forever.

Just shave twice a week or so. The old school razors are called DE razors (Double Edge) and you can get them pretty cheaply on Ebay. I got two that way, a Chinese made Wieshi and a 1960 Gillette Super Speed like my dad used. I use both and love the Gillette, but my favorite is a Merkur I got off Amazon.com. One 100 pack of Astra DE blades off Amazon was about $11.00 and will last me about two years. I can get 8 good shaves from one DE blade.

I used to like a brush, and a single blade disposable. Now I use a Panasonic electric-I can use soap if I want, take it in the shower, use it dry, whatever. I still use a Bic once in a while, but I've switched to electric.

No way in the world I would use a straight razor, and I sure as hell wouldn't let someone else use a razor on me.

Straight razor shaving is not as scary as everyone thinks. It takes technique and it takes practice. That being said, I prefer using a DE razor 90% of the time. I get magnificently close shaves now, and the Proraso shaving soaps are fantastic.

I have been looking at straight razors for awhile, seems expensive for trimming around my beard.

I can tell you how to get a good one cheaply. You see the old one in the picture above? The one that looks gray?

That's a 1925 Palmer, made in Soligen, Germany. I found it at an antique store. It was in rough shape, so I got it cheap, $25 bucks, then I went online and found out how to clean it up and get it shave-ready. It took me about a week of working on it off and on to get it back in shape.

Go here, become a member and start asking questions. These guys are great.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/search.php?searchid=8754470

Now, the Palmer is a sweet little cut throat.

Edited by Alden

I stopped shaving in 1985. :dontknow: It is a huge pain in the ass! :hmm:

Bookmarked it, thanks Alden.

Gmor is Phil Robertson?

I use the safety razors, been doing it after I found out how much money I save. Does just as good of a job, but need to go a little slower.

Gmor is Phil Robertson?

I trim my beard short but only shave my neck in the shower. :cool:

I'm still getting robbed at Walgreens.

Two guys at work are into the straight razors....they are as into it as any one of us about guns......they have all the sharpening stones, strops, and such........me I use a Track II that I have had since 1991......was electric before that but moved to a more humid area and could no longer use the old electric. In my logging days I shaved once a week.Now I shave Monday-Thursday......and go wild for the weekend. I hate shaving but hate my thick heavy itchy beard worse.

I've seen too many gangster movies for that !!! :laugh: