GLShooter

6.8 SPC BARREL SHAKE DOWN

The weather was great last weekend so lots of lead got tossed down range here in Arizona. The darling of the day was the Black Hole 6.8 Savage. 3 P polygonal rifling in a standrd weight. A quick perusal for some loading data and it was off to the desert. Bullet selction was a nice gamut from 85 to 110 grains. Temperatures were in the mid-90's. Range wss the obliagtory 100 yards. BTW the bolt is a PT&G product that is available with just a phone call and a credit card in what ever flavor you want.

First up to warm things up was the Sierra 90 Varmint. A good decent bullet that will handle most game likely to be persued with this one. It would be hell on wheels on antelope.

SIERRA85GAMEKING_zpsc25950f1.jpg

It was to prove to be the best of the day out of this one but I guess it wlil have to do considering it was just a barrel swap and the action has not been bedded.

Second pill for the day was the much vaunted Speer 90 grain HP. These are the pull downs everyone is after. Expectations were not great but hope in the heart beats eternal in this game. A few deep breaths and some patience for condtions came out with an acceptable group size. This one opened up a tad but still I would put my sklil on the line for a tight shot.

SPEER90GOLDDOT_zpsbc9108f7.jpg

A 0.400 is decent i nmy book any day.

Last one shot was a bit heavier at 110. This was the Hornady HP. Not a bad prefoemance but needs a bit of tuning. It opened up a bit more than the other two but shows promise. The leaker low right didn't help matters.

HORNADY110HP_zps29f1c0c0.jpg

Still sub 0.5 MOA for the worst one of the day.

Thre bullets, one rifle, and a random charge at each thrown together in 20 minutes. Not a bad payout for time invested. It appears that the BHW barrels are continuing their match grade performance in one of the calibers that is geting my attention more and more. I'll add another post tomorrow on my AR work for the day that was, shall we say, enlightening.

Greg

Nice shooting Greg. That makes for quick work on any fine tuning you might want to do. But even a little sparrow would be doomed with those groups. :ohmy:

Nice shooting Greg. That makes for quick work on any fine tuning you might want to do. But even a little sparrow would be doomed with those groups. :ohmy:

My favorite target growing up was English Sparrows..... I must be part Amish. :segrin:

Greg