Greetings,
I am a relatively new gun owner. After moving (escaping) from NY in 2001, I bought my first pistol.

In 2012 I bought my first complete AR15 from New Frontier Armory and joined Appleseed. And then the trouble started...

After Newtown, I ordered a LW15 polymer lower from New Frontier. Last month it got mated with an Aero Precision upper (5.56).

Now hand-loading has shown up.

You know the story, the more you learn, the more you want to try... without, of course, alerting/alarming the wife.

Recently a 80% lower followed me home and am thinking about a new caliber. The 6.5mm is looking very interesting. I knew about the Grendel, but then stumbled on the 6.5PCC and then the 6.5 x 6.8.
Which led me to BHW.

So, (G-d, I am long-winded!) Here is the question, WILL A BARREL CUT FOR 6.5PCC ALSO WORK FOR 6.5 X 6.8? I would think the key question is the headspace.

What I have in mind is a kind of progression. First, proficiency with the standard AR and handloads. Then graduate to the 6.5PCC and then the 6.5x 6.8.

What do you think?

Thanks.

DesmonQellen

N.H.

I just pulled the reamer prints as I couldn't find my fired 6.5PCC( yes Virginia I own one) cases to measure.

The 6.5 PCC CAN NOT be rechambered as the shoulder on the 6.5X6.8 is considerably shoreter than the PCC.

No sense dragging your feet with a cartidge that offers nothing if you want to step up to the 6.5X6.8. The extra cost of the dies will make it cost prohibitive and on a rechamber, even if it would work, there is a probablity of a poor chamber being cut. It is a chore getting it all lined up properly and the cost is better put to a new barrel. You would also need a reamer as Black Hole does not recahmber barrels and that would be over half the cost of the new barrel. Add in reasonable 'smithing charges and you would be better off buying a new tube.

Greg

PS: Welcome to the board. Jump in and enjoy.

Thought so.

I take it the same holds for a .223 vs 22x6.8?

Lots to learn!

Many Thanks.

Thought so.

I take it the same holds for a .223 vs 22x6.8?

Lots to learn!

Many Thanks.

Pretty much same bullets but the 22X6.8 is much faster and flatter shooting. With a 50 grain VMAX at 500 yards the 22X6.8 has 17 inches less drop and has 380 ft.lbs of energy vs 261. Think of it as a 22-250.

Greg

Hey there.

I'm new here as well. I've been lurking round the 68 Forum site for some time. After I read about the BHW 68 family, I decided to join in the fun. I have purchased 224, 257, 6.5, 7.62, 8mm, and 9mm tubes, and am having a reamer made as I write this. Basically I am trying to use a modified version of the Six5 chambering, or 6.5 x 6.8 if you prefer, to cut chambers in each of those pipes.

I am looking to outdo the 223/encroach on the 22-250; make a half-assed 25-06; better the Grendel; beat the 30 HRT; better the 8mm HRT; and go off into no man's land with the 9mm.

I followed the 6.5 PCC thread, and bought a set of dies. However before I ever heard of the 6.5 PCC I was shooting my 65 TC/U AR, which is pretty close to what y'all ended up with in the 6.5 PCC. In fact I recently PM-ed Doc69 that we backed the wrong horse, seeing how much better the 6.5 x 6.8 came out than the TCU-ish version.

I live in NH, and am building these various uppers to use hunting with my cousins in the Adirondacks. I realize the lowers these uppers get pinned on will look very different from what I use back in NH, but we will still be hunting with AR's in NY, where coumo says no one needs an AR to hunt with.

I think my reamer is due in next week. I'll follow up on that after the holiday. I've been collecting pieces parts, gathering what is needed to build a half dozen uppers. I have been able to get most everything, save for SSA brass, and ARP 6.8 Superbolts. I check Harrison's in stock offerings every day before lunch. I've had plenty of luck thus far, unfortunately its all been bad.

So I will go back to lurking now. I am watching these threads intently, and am devouring the reloading data I find. Thanks for all the assistance already. I learned much about bushing sizes for the steps down from 6.8.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck. They won't be Black Hole barrels so it will be interesting to see how they stack up against the original. That is half the secret...LOL

Greg

Yessir, I agree the barrel itself will impact the end result. All my barrels are Green Mountain barrels. I'm going to pay a whole lot more forthe gunsmithing to turn these blanks into AR barrels. And I'm confident some combinations will be more exciting to me. I'm loking forward to sarting on the 6.5 & 8mm versions straight away. If I am pleased, my intention is to upgrade to better barrels.

Anyway I'll try to update things as they progress. My pace will be liesurely, since I am funding this project, with no assistance from any one.

Hey there.

I'm new here as well. I've been lurking round the 68 Forum site for some time. After I read about the BHW 68 family, I decided to join in the fun. I have purchased 224, 257, 6.5, 7.62, 8mm, and 9mm tubes, and am having a reamer made as I write this. Basically I am trying to use a modified version of the Six5 chambering, or 6.5 x 6.8 if you prefer, to cut chambers in each of those pipes.

I am looking to outdo the 223/encroach on the 22-250; make a half-assed 25-06; better the Grendel; beat the 30 HRT; better the 8mm HRT; and go off into no man's land with the 9mm.

I followed the 6.5 PCC thread, and bought a set of dies. However before I ever heard of the 6.5 PCC I was shooting my 65 TC/U AR, which is pretty close to what y'all ended up with in the 6.5 PCC. In fact I recently PM-ed Doc69 that we backed the wrong horse, seeing how much better the 6.5 x 6.8 came out than the TCU-ish version.

I live in NH, and am building these various uppers to use hunting with my cousins in the Adirondacks. I realize the lowers these uppers get pinned on will look very different from what I use back in NH, but we will still be hunting with AR's in NY, where coumo says no one needs an AR to hunt with.

I think my reamer is due in next week. I'll follow up on that after the holiday. I've been collecting pieces parts, gathering what is needed to build a half dozen uppers. I have been able to get most everything, save for SSA brass, and ARP 6.8 Superbolts. I check Harrison's in stock offerings every day before lunch. I've had plenty of luck thus far, unfortunately its all been bad.

So I will go back to lurking now. I am watching these threads intently, and am devouring the reloading data I find. Thanks for all the assistance already. I learned much about bushing sizes for the steps down from 6.8.

This project seems like a lot of time and money is going to be wasted. If you want the results all this has been done before. The only one of the cartridges you are wanting to build that has not been tweeked, changed or rebuilt is the 8mm version. And why do you think that is?

Why would you want to spend money on a set of reamers and gauges and not use a top of the line barrel. You will never know if what you have built will work if it is not tested in a barrel that is known to shoot. I know where the steel for some of the less expensive brands comes from, and I wouldn't bet my wallet let alone my fingers and eyes on a wildcat barrel from them.

Another place you are looking to waste money is the Super bolt. I pressure tested refined and reshot all of the cartridges you are talking about but the 8mm. This turned out to be 1000's of rounds. I still have yet to break a bolt on a 6.8 cased chambering. Believe me I have loaded some hot loads, as in trashing the brass in one firing.

I saw on another forum where you posted you are a follower of the H chamber design. That one is still beyond me. Why would you want to add a mile of free-bore and then shorten the case. If you are going to make it shoot consistently you have to get as close to the lands as possible. I think if you go back through all the threads that are posted and look at all the targets that have been shot, you will see that the Black Hole chamber works.

I certainly agree your chambers work, and your barrels are probably head and shoulders above what I am using. And I agree you have the right to say pretty much whatever you'd like. Hell I spent more than 15 years in the service defending it. So please don't take offence if I thank you for your input, and keep on keeping on.

I am certainly not doing any of this to make money. So as my wife sees it, its all a waste of money. Sometimes we have motivators beyond financial, that others don't appreciate. I'm good with that.

I do thank you for your observations regarding the superbolt. I've grown frustrated waiting on them. I have two regular 6.8 bolts in hand, and will see how things go with them. I do believe from all your posts, and the results you've fwded through that you've probably been further up the pressure curve than I plan to travel.

I personally do not know where the steel Green Mountain cuts their barrels comes from. I do know where a couple of Thompson subguns are that have Green Mountain barrels installed in them. As rental machine guns, they live a hard life. I believe both are over 100K on the round count, and still running. Granted a 45 ACP probably doesn't test the hoop strength excessively, but I think it does say something.

What is the out the door cost of a BHW barrel, 22 inches, cut with one of your reamers? What is the wait time? Or do you sell blanks, inn chrome moly steel?

All BHW barrels are stainless. They are button rifled. Chrome moly does not do as well with a button. That material is better for cut rifling. BHW does not sell blanks anymore.

For a price and options look at ritchsprecisionguns.com for all the options etc.

Greg

Ok, well his website is not Android device compatable. Lemme see if I can search right in to his products page.