Commochief

New Barrel will not headspace

Quick question for all the gunsmiths out there. I purchased a 16" 5.56 Standard Profile Mid Length Gas System .750 Gas Block - 1x8 Twist. I decided to buy a bolt from a local manufacturer but the problem is we can not get the barrel and BCG to pass the Go Gage for head spacing. Thinking it was just the bolt we tried several others. When that didn't work, the armorer tried 20 different bolts. None of them would head space. We are down to reaming the barrel to mate it with the bolt which I am good with. I would much rather have a safe ( and accurate :)) firearm than an unsafe firearm. My question is really if anyone else has seen this type of behavior and if so what type of bolt you went with or did you end up reaming the barrel? I am using a BlackHeart International (BHI) Chrome Bolt Carrier Group.

2nd question would be what is the recommended break in process for a new barrel? 30rnds/clean/30rnds/clean?

Thanks all!

What barrel is this? Were any of the BCG's you tried well known name brands or were they all "local specials"??? You are posting in the BHW forum, so if it is a BHW barrel, I'd call them up.......they will either have advice for ya or do whatever to make it right, assuming it's the barrel and not the BGC or such.

Edited by Medic07

What barrel is this? Were any of the BCG's you tried well known name brands or were they all "local specials"??? You are posting in the BHW forum, so if it is a BHW barrel, I'd call them up.......they will either have advice for ya or do whatever to make it right, assuming it's the barrel and not the BGC or such.

I second getting the MFG'er involved before any Machining is done. All AR 15 barrels should pass a Go Gauge unless there is something seriously wrong.

Quick question for all the gunsmiths out there. I purchased a 16" 5.56 Standard Profile Mid Length Gas System .750 Gas Block - 1x8 Twist. I decided to buy a bolt from a local manufacturer but the problem is we can not get the barrel and BCG to pass the Go Gage for head spacing. Thinking it was just the bolt we tried several others. When that didn't work, the armorer tried 20 different bolts. None of them would head space. We are down to reaming the barrel to mate it with the bolt which I am good with. I would much rather have a safe ( and accurate :)) firearm than an unsafe firearm. My question is really if anyone else has seen this type of behavior and if so what type of bolt you went with or did you end up reaming the barrel? I am using a BlackHeart International (BHI) Chrome Bolt Carrier Group.

2nd question would be what is the recommended break in process for a new barrel? 30rnds/clean/30rnds/clean?

Thanks all!

First off I guess this is a BHW barrel as you didn't mention it. Did they strip the bolt when checking headspace?

Before you go droping a reamer in te barrel and voiding any thing with thebarel I would suggest you PM me and we can talk aboiut this. It is not unheard of for a barel chamber to be bad but the use of HS gauges without strippingthe bolt is very problematric. Why incurr an expense froma gunslinth when BHW wil galdly fix the iisue for you for free on their dime?

This might sound completely stupid but by chance have you tried to loadf a RERAL cartdige in it? I've seen this complaint on many barrels by various manufacturers over the years and when you drop a round in the chamber everything is fine. I would also try and use a PROVEN BCG of a name brand. Not that everyone doesn't make good parts but I saw a BCG a few months ago that was miscut and would not allow the boltto go home and rotate properly. I have also seen an UPPER that would not lett he BCG go home all the way and we had to cut the channel a bit more. Actually I saw this on TWO uppers.

I await your PM.

Greg

Sorry for the confusion I was away on a family trip with no access to the web. Yes this is a BHW barrel. I will get with Greg and get with BHW and see what they say. The armorer is a friend who I was in the military with, and was an armorer with the Army AMU. I deeply respect his knowledge of the AR/M16 platform. He has built hundreds of ARs and M16/DMR platform rifles over the years and I consider him an invaluable resource. I would guess that he did the proper fit testing with regards to the bolts he tried but was not watching him do the fit testing. My friend would not try and 'sell' me on services and knows I am building on a budget. This is a firearm meant for my family to shoot so I want it to be as safe as possible out of the gate.

Did anyone have any links to the BHW break-in process or know what the recommendations are?

Thanks!

Why chance buggering up a sweet BHW barrel by letting someone else ream the barrel and voiding the warranty, when BHW will fix it for free if is truly out of spec??????? :surrender: The draw of BHW barrels is their accuracy....Why in the world would you risk damaging it?

As soon as I figure out how to PM I will get with Greg. As I said, want to get a hold of BHW and see what they say. Finally found the break in process post. Like the looks of Greg's method so going to follow that one.

As soon as I figure out how to PM I will get with Greg. As I said, want to get a hold of BHW and see what they say. Finally found the break in process post. Like the looks of Greg's method so going to follow that one.

I just sent you a PM. If you have problems opening and responding e-mail me at GLSHOOTER@aol.com. We'll try some gunsmith gymnastics before we bother UPSP.

Greg

Apparently resolved. No contact in two months.,

Greg

Sorry for the slow responses, I have been building this as I have funds so it has been slow. Finally got all my parts in.

Still will not head-space.

Bought Forster's 5.56 NATO Minimum and Maximum head-space gauges.

GO = 1.4636 (will not engage which is a fail. I have tried with both extractor/ejector in bolt and without. Neither way works. According to what I read about the Forster's NATO 5.56 gauges I should not need to pull the E/E but I did it anyway to ensure neither way worked.)

NOGO = 1.4736 (will not engage so it passes.)

I have tried multiple brands of bolts at this point, a Chrome BHI, Phosphate BHI, Phosphate Spikes Tactical, and a few other's some of the armor's had available.

Picture of Upper with Cam slot (something Greg wanted to make sure was ok.)

IMAG0145_zps4a332837.jpg

IMAG0144_zps2cde9960.jpg

Picture of Bolt with Extractor and Ejector pulled:

IMAG0148_zps19ebfea7.jpg

Pictures with Go Gauge fail:

IMAG0151_zps19c7eb92.jpg

IMAG0150_zpsba92c8ba.jpg

Picture of NO GO Gauge Pass (doesn't engage either)

IMAG0152_zps34ed6f1f.jpg

I do not have any live rounds at the moment, but I did purchase some .223 snap cap rounds so my wife can learn trigger squeeze and control. The bolt will engage on the snap cap but it takes more force than is normal and it takes additional force on the charging handle to get it to remove the bolt.

Any ideas?

I'll chat with the BHW foreman and Ritch. I see a return ticket in the future. Please PM me your contact information with your name, address and phone number along with an e-mail address to expedite things.

Greg

As a prospective BHW barrel buyer, it is refreshing to see great old fashioned customer service and support here! Nice to know BHW will stand behind their product even months after the fact!

Commochief: please keep us all informed as to your progress on this issue and whatever resolution happens!

PM sent. Thanks all, will keep everyone up to date.

...And to think some people say checking headspace isn't necessary on todays AR platform!

We'll be looking for your updates!