MinnesotaMulisha

Sierra Matchking 69 Gr Reloads

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a load recipe for some 69Gr. SMKs to shoot through my 1:8 barrel. I've got the brass, Federal Match Primers, and plenty of powders (including Varget). Does anyone have a special load that their boom stick particularly likes? Thanks in advance!

Adam

Around 24.5gr Varget seems to be fairly popular place to start and shows good results for many using the 69gr SMK. Remember each rifle is different and will need "tuning" and load development to achieve best possible accuracy for that rifle and set-up....As always, refer to your reloading manual and never exceed MAX specs.

Edited by Medic07

Well if you have not bought the bullets yet, let me suggest 69 Grain Nosler Custom Competition. On top of being about $2 cheaper per 100, the NCC seem to fly faster with the same amount of poweder in both 223 and 308. Using Norma Brass, CCI primers and 24.3 grains of Varget I am getting 1/2 to 2/3rd MOA out of my White Oak barrel but Soleagle here is getting less than .25 out of his BHW barrel. One sloppy hole at 100 yards. We have both used that load to shoot golf balls and pool cue chalk at 100 yards.

Thanks for the info! I chose the 69 SMKs becuase a buddy of mine has 200 and will let them go for $43. Hard to pass that up. Do either of you know how much the capacity of the brass will change when using Lake City brass? I know Norma would have a larger case capacity than military brass.

Thanks for the info! I chose the 69 SMKs becuase a buddy of mine has 200 and will let them go for $43. Hard to pass that up. Do either of you know how much the capacity of the brass will change when using Lake City brass? I know Norma would have a larger case capacity than military brass.

The varaition in case capacity wil be inconsequential. The LC is a large as much of the commercial stuiff being sold. In fact it is larger than some of the FC and WW I have shot. Lapua isn't going to run that much different.

Greg

So I finally was able to shoot some 69 SMKs with some Varget. Not sure if the pic uploaded, but there's a link. Anyways, the four shot group was .5055". This was with LC 13 Brass, Federal BR primers and 24.9 grains of Varget loaded to 2.250" COAL.

103vs69.jpg

Fixed it... GL

Edited by GLShooter

I make that out as a .3255 CTC. Very nice. You can also look at RL15 to give you some good velocites and groups. 3000 is no chore with it.

Greg

or .2815??? Don't sell yourself short. Great shooting! Those components are GTG.

Maybe if I could read without coffee my math would be better..LOL

Greg

Maybe if I could read without coffee my math would be better..LOL

Greg

Your just used to playing with your 17/223 wildcats, is all. :segrin:

Your just used to playing with your 17/223 wildcats, is all. :segrin:

Yep. Youi know if you just galnce at it is reads 5505? I figure my mind elimianted the 0 positioned in the fifth place................ :cool:

Now if I'd been standing on my head....................

Greg

PS: Even my poor math gives a great group.... LOL

Yep. Youi know if you just galnce at it is reads 5505? I figure my mind elimianted the 0 positioned in the fifth place................ :cool:

Now if I'd been standing on my head....................

Greg

PS: Even my poor math gives a great group.... LOL

Who knows what YOUR mind is ever thinking???

Who knows what YOUR mind is ever thinking???

The jury is still out on my IQ test...............

Greg

The jury is still out on my IQ test...............

Greg

I would say it falls somewhere inbetween 17 and 458.

:segrin:

I would say it falls somewhere inbetween 17 and 458.

:segrin:

So I hear. ..LOL

I always wanted to be smarter than the average bear. I now realize after watching Animal Planet that the average bear ain't no rocket scientist.

Greg