HotRodWilly

Load data for 243 LBC

what is the chamber neck size?

0.273 on the last reamer print I have in my files.

Greg

0.273 on the last reamer print I have in my files.

GreG

What is the diameter of the neck of a loaded round?

The reason that i ask is that my chamber was also .273 and my loaded round is around.272 or more so I was getting pressure signs such as increased head diameter and popped primers so I had the neck enlarged to .276 for better clearance. BTW I was loading Sierra 107 SMK with about 28.5gr of VV140 in Lapua brass. The loaded rounds can be magazine fed.

Edited by steve_podlesk
  • Like 1

Mine measures .271 loaded with multiple bullets. Sounds like the loads a little hot or thin primers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the diameter of the neck of a loaded round?

The reason that i ask is that my chamber was also .273 and my loaded round is around.272 or more so I was getting pressure signs such as increased head diameter and popped primers so I had the neck enlarged to .276 for better clearance. BTW I was loading Sierra 107 SMK with about 28.5gr of VV140 in Lapua brass. The loaded rounds can be magazine fed.

271 on mine. All the chambers are 273. 0.002 is just right for expansion. Out of curiosity were you crimping. What was your overall lenght and primers? You can get way up in the lands even at magazine lenght. I've never used the 140. What was your velocity?

Greg

271 on mine. All the chambers are 273. 0.002 is just right for expansion. Out of curiosity were you crimping. What was your overall lenght and primers? You can get way up in the lands even at magazine lenght. I've never used the 140. What was your velocity?

Greg

I am not crimping. The length is 1.642 using the sinclair nut. Primers are Wolf small rilfe magnums. Velocity is in the high 2700s or low 2800s.

What brass are you using? Do you know the neck thickness of your brass? My brass has a neck thickness around .014" I also see ejector marks. The reamer is for a .243LBC 40.

I use AA/Lapua exclusively. Loaded neck on mine run .269 I was thinking of my 6X6.8 earlier. That makes neck thickness at 0.013. Hornady brass is a bit thicker IIRC. I use a 267 bushing on these.

I don't speak Sincalir nut so I can't equate that. On mine the distance to lands from the base is

95 Berger VLD 1.785

95 Nolser BT 1.831

105 Hornady AMAX 1.777

105 Beger Match 1.717

What data did you use as a start in the 140? I can't find any PPC loads or 6 BR that would give me a feel for it.

Greg

I use AA/Lapua exclusively. Loaded neck on mine run .269 I was thinking of my 6X6.8 earlier. That makes neck thickness at 0.013. Hornady brass is a bit thicker IIRC. I use a 267 bushing on these.

I don't speak Sincalir nut so I can't equate that. On mine the distance to lands from the base is

95 Berger VLD 1.785

95 Nolser BT 1.831

105 Hornady AMAX 1.777

105 Beger Match 1.717

What data did you use as a start in the 140? I can't find any PPC loads or 6 BR that would give me a feel for it.

Greg

I think I started from 28gr of VV140. Do you have any ejector marks on your brass? What tool do you use to measure your cartridges?

No markings. I use the Hornady to measure shoulders and ogive load lenght. I use the Sinclair tool to get my lands measurement and then work backwards.

The 243LBC has been chambered by BHW a long time. It's one of the easy ones to load for. It just wants to shoot. I've got a Savage barrel set up I'll be testing in the next two weeks. I'll shoot my first 1000 yard in early January with it. 95 grzin SMK's will be the pill of choice. They out ballistics any other 6MM in this case if my math is right and I am very good at math...LOL

Greg

No markings. I use the Hornady to measure shoulders and ogive load lenght. I use the Sinclair tool to get my lands measurement and then work backwards.

The 243LBC has been chambered by BHW a long time. It's one of the easy ones to load for. It just wants to shoot. I've got a Savage barrel set up I'll be testing in the next two weeks. I'll shoot my first 1000 yard in early January with it. 95 grzin SMK's will be the pill of choice. They out ballistics any other 6MM in this case if my math is right and I am very good at math...LOL

Greg

Greg

How fast are your 95gr SMK going?

With a 106gr SMK going 2800fps, the drift in a 10mph wind is 4.6moa at 600yd. My main purpose of this rifle is target shooting at 600yd.

Greg

How fast are your 95gr SMK going?

With a 106gr SMK going 2800fps, the drift in a 10mph wind is 4.6moa at 600yd. My main purpose of this rifle is target shooting at 600yd.

A tad over 3000 out of an AR. You can go a bit more in a bolt gun. I am gearing up to push the 95 SMK hard in the next few weeks in my Savage. My bolt will be here Tuesday. I'll be posting up some numbers/groups.

Greg

A tad over 3000 out of an AR. You can go a bit more in a bolt gun. I am gearing up to push the 95 SMK hard in the next few weeks in my Savage. My bolt will be here Tuesday. I'll be posting up some numbers/groups.

Greg

Greg

Yes, with that velocity the 95SMK can be almost equal to the 107SMK at 2800 but I do not know if the AR can push the 95s at those velocities without pressure problems.

Greg

Yes, with that velocity the 95SMK can be almost equal to the 107SMK at 2800 but I do not know if the AR can push the 95s at those velocities without pressure problems.

Remember this is a polygonal barrel that usally yields about 100 FPS for a given load on an Enfield barrel. 24" is about like a 26. Ritch has done some pressure testing and it does look good. Brsss life has been good and primers are not looking distressed. Being a wildcat we all have to make our own decisions. Temperature is also a concern. I'm shooting 8208 and it appears to be performing well.

I agree the AR won't hold as much pressure and I intend to limit mine to 600 and use the bolt gun further out. I've been shooting 87's out of the 243LBC and the 6X6.8 at 500 running an easy 3000. Some cases have twelve loadings on them and still have nice tight pockets. These were loaded with RL15 most of the time.

Also remember these are long range single shot loadings. They are not being loaded to magazine lenght. The 243LBC is actually throated for VLD's and there is a very good benefit in that playing in F-Class.

Greg

Remember this is a polygonal barrel that usally yields about 100 FPS for a given load on an Enfield barrel. 24" is about like a 26. Ritch has done some pressure testing and it does look good. Brsss life has been good and primers are not looking distressed. Being a wildcat we all have to make our own decisions. Temperature is also a concern. I'm shooting 8208 and it appears to be performing well.

I agree the AR won't hold as much pressure and I intend to limit mine to 600 and use the bolt gun further out. I've been shooting 87's out of the 243LBC and the 6X6.8 at 500 running an easy 3000. Some cases have twelve loadings on them and still have nice tight pockets. These were loaded with RL15 most of the time.

Also remember these are long range single shot loadings. They are not being loaded to magazine lenght. The 243LBC is actually throated for VLD's and there is a very good benefit in that playing in F-Class.

Greg

I did not know the the 243LBC was throated for VLD.s which explains why the 107SMKs seated much deeper.

I did not know the the 243LBC was throated for VLD.s which explains why the 107SMKs seated much deeper.

That is one nice thing about having a Sinclair tool and a shelf fulll of various bullets. Of course have the guythat did the BHW reamer literaly on speed dial does help for the flow of information.

Greg

Time to revive an old thread. HaHa

Greg, can you send me some load data as well? I would greatly appreciate it.