HotRodWilly

Load data for 243 LBC

Hey gents,

Has any of you tried the 95 grains Sierra Tip-Match King http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/000077295/6mm-point243-Diameter-95-Grain-TMK-Tipped-Boat-Tail-Matchking-100-Count. They are supposed to be candy for 243 bore rifles.

I haven't seen any locally. The BC is only 0.010 over the regular 95 SMK. If the price was the same that would be GTG. If it is significantly higher I won't bother.

Greg

I'm hopping in on this one too.

What BBL length to get to 3,100 FPS with a 95gr SMK?

I'm hopping in on this one too.

What BBL length to get to 3,100 FPS with a 95gr SMK?

24" or 26"

Greg

An earlier post stated the 105 grain with H4895 achieved 2781 fps. What length barrel was used for that velocity? What do you think would be the maximum velocity for a 24" barrel with 105s loaded to mag length? I realize that accuracy may be best at a lower velocity, but is 2780fps or greater realistic to expect?

An earlier post stated the 105 grain with H4895 achieved 2781 fps. What length barrel was used for that velocity? What do you think would be the maximum velocity for a 24" barrel with 105s loaded to mag length? I realize that accuracy may be best at a lower velocity, but is 2780fps or greater realistic to expect?

Those were in a 24" AR. Loaded long. I shot four at magazine length and got 2691 with H4895 on my initial range trip. No pressures were noted. Accuracy was not stellar on these but I didn't intend to shoot that bullet. Based on the other long loads you might hit 2800 with it but I decided to go with the 95 SMK for my long range work.

Greg

I appreciate the response. I am trying to decide if I want to build a .243 LBC, this helps set realistic expectations. Thank you.

I appreciate the response. I am trying to decide if I want to build a .243 LBC, this helps set realistic expectations. Thank you.

I have both the 6x6.8 SPC and the .243 LBC both with 22" barrels. The 6x6.8 is a 9 twist and the .243 LBC is a 8 twist. I have 700 plus rounds on the 6x6.8 and it shoots well with the 87gr Berger, 90gr Accubond, 87gr Hornady's and the 95gr SST's but once you start getting into the heavies 95gr Berger Hunting VLD's and the 105gr Hornady match bullets the .243 LBC is a better choice due to the shorter case length and the COAL when it comes to heavies at magazine length.

With that being said the 6x6.8 is a performer on game I have taken Mule deer with the 90gr Accubond( 60 yards or so) complete pass through, one shot stop and the 95gr SST has taken Mule deer clean, one shot stop at 287 yards. Complete pass through, destroyed the lungs. It was a impressing BANG/FLOP!

If I had to choose between the two, I would go with the .243 LBC due to the fact I'm using them for big game. If I just wanted to punch paper and hunt Coyotes and Rockchucks the 6x6.8 would do just fine.

The .243 LBC in a 8 twist with the Berger 95gr VLD Hunting Bullet is a wicked combo.

Has anyone tried the 103gr ELDX bullets in the 243 LBC? If so any available load data?