Wagonbacker9

Seating Length

So today I started trying to develop the load I intend to get the most precision possible from (for whitetail hunting). in checking the length at which the bullet contacts the rifling I came up with 2.37 all the way out to 2.44. Obviously with a 2.30" max magazine length this is a little long, but seeing as my bullets (80-95gr) are so long this shouldn't present an major issue. Maybe a non issue, seeing as my midway dogtown bullets are extremely short and at 2.15" still shoot very nicely.

So my question to the AR platform guys is, what length do you load to? Does it seem to matter a lot for you guys?

For absolute accuracy seating depth is a consideration. For all my shooting I see no use full difference. single shot loaded groups rarely improve by .1" at one hundred yards. The convenience of just pulling the trigger is lost. especially for hunting. I have some bullets that are very fussy about seating depth , Berger VLD's that I play with but not for hunting. (they don't soot any better than Sierra game Kings So why bother.) I wou;d load it to mag length and forget it.

Paul

I routinely load as long as the magazine will allow. The shorter you load the higher the pressures usually result. If you avoid the VLD stuff most hunting bullets will do OK with the jump. The 6X45 seems to want to shoot no matter what you feed it.

Greg

Mine has done extremely well in the lower weights (100 yard ladder load with 65gr and 8208 from 24-26gr all within about 4"), but the heavies have been fighting me all the way. 87gr vmaxes were about 2' left and about a 1' group at 200 yd. Compared to about MOA I am consistently getting out of a 55gr dogtown load seated to a 2.15" OAL. Basically defying all conventional wisdom.

Edited by Wagonbacker9