gshayd

No more Debit card

This is the second time I have had my debit card number stolen. I am not getting another one. I got all my money back and I caught it quickly. The Credit Union did a bang up job of helping me. I am guessing it was at a gas pump. I am looking into the American Express Bluebird card where I can load money onto it and keep $200.00 on it. Any body else use this. I can load Money by the mobile app depositing a check. There are no real fees according to the agreement unless I load money at at store.

I have never had a debit card...never will.

I am joining the ranks until they issue debit cards that use biometrics.

I use a debit card, but I always run it as a credit card at gas pumps and places like that.

They can still get the number and use it like a credit card. Even after you cancel your card the big credit card companies have the power to "force" that transaction through well after my card was cancelled. They had to give me my money back but there was still some hassle.

Edited by gshayd

I've had a couple problems with my card number being used but its always been restored by the end of the week. Banks and credit card companies are very responsive to that kind of stuff.

We never use our debit for anything but cash machines and I've used Amex since 1979. Its number was stolen twice now. Both times, I got my money back and a new card in 24 hours.

Why I prefer Amex over Visa is we're a member like a credit union. I have both but use the Amex for daily expenditures. Amex will side more readily with the member in disputes. Rather than just say, "That's between you and them", they'll make the disputed party prove the charge, no signature, no security number, wrong shipping address, they lose. Bigger companies like Amazon are great about it, others aren't. I worry about doing business with anyone that takes cards but not Amex. Percentages and costs can always be figured into price. There's room there for other motivation. Businesses overseas hate Amex because they can't lean on the the customer can't do anything about it with them. Overseas, I use teller machines and pay cash old school.

Tj

As long as the bank keeps restoring my account, I'll keep using the debit card. It just to damn convenient.

As long as the bank keeps restoring my account, I'll keep using the debit card. It just to damn convenient.

That seems a bit stupid if it keeps happening to you over and over?

I use a debit card. I have been burned and the bank took care of it. Ever since then the card is used very carefully and I never let it out of my sight. When I travel I use cash. My upcoming Oregon trip will be a cash trip as well.

I await a more secure card as well. I buy 17 HMR ammo online a lot (just did it a second ago) and you can't beat having that card handy to do it. I run everything as credit and the bank flips it once they get it.

We use our debit cards alot. We do not have any credit cards, not one, so that is our only way if we have to use a card. What would be the advantage of using it as a credit instead of debit. If they have your card number then they would not need your pass word, correct ? I tend to use it as a debit to save the store some on the fees.

That seems a bit stupid if it keeps happening to you over and over?

Not really. I've had it happen twice and once someone used the wrong number and ordered some stuff using my number.

We use our debit cards alot. We do not have any credit cards, not one, so that is our only way if we have to use a card. What would be the advantage of using it as a credit instead of debit. If they have your card number then they would not need your pass word, correct ? I tend to use it as a debit to save the store some on the fees.

It real simple. A credit card, they get no money from you until you send them a payment. The bank, its gone until the bank puts it back.

I will use my debit card BUT I do have an AMEX blue "prepaid" card too. I use it (AMEX) in places wthat I don't know that well (i.e. funky gas stations in the middle of nowhere on vacations or some online retilers with not much word of mouth reviews) because I have it set to receive instant email and text notifications for ANY transaction. I can see instantly if there are any unauthorized uses and it's prepaid with only what I need or plan to spend. There are NO fees with it too, other than if you use it as an ATM card more than once a month (they allow 1 free ATM use per month which is way more than I need as I use my debit card at ATM's) and if you reload it at stores like wally world. I reload it online direct from my bank account but the only down side is that it takes about 5 days for the balance to be loaded after you transfer funds, unlike an instant loading from certain retailers. It's great for what it is and it's AMEX, so they got you covered with support if needed.

It real simple. A credit card, they get no money from you until you send them a payment. The bank, its gone until the bank puts it back.

About 25 years i got in over my head with CCs and i have never had one after that. Does the Blue Amex pre paid work the same as the issued one ?

Edited by devil duck