GLShooter

AMERICAN 30 Bigger and Better

I'm posting this up here until I can get a category arranged for the A-30.

As many of you know BHW has been working on the American 30 for about a year following a few months of concept discussion. We decided to use 30 Herrett dies and hold them off from the shell holder.

Once the original reamer was ordered and a few barrels were made up the testing started. Originally it was a full length case but while we could make it run the extra length limited heavy bullet choices somewhat. A new reamer was ordered with a shorter OAL case with the shoulder moved back somewhat. It seemed to run OK but as the shoulder was so high we found fire forming was needed. Not a good deal for many reloaders and cost prohibitive. Calculated cost to get a fully formed case was somewhere in excess of $1.50 plus the wear and tear on the platform. Once again the shoulder was bumped back and the case was allowed to stay as long as was practical with 150 grain bullets. On the third reamer now things were looking up. Case capacity exceeds the 7.62X39 so we knew that the performance would be there.

Following the final design change a few barrels were made up to allow for pressure testing and actual range performance. Ritch is working the pressures and doing some load work ups for velocity as there are other projects in the works for this one. So far velocity numbers are excellent. He is getting up to 2800 with the 130's, 2850 on the 125's, 2950 on the 110's and found that 2500+ on the 150's is easy but we haven't settled on that one yet.

I shot the rifle last weekend for a quick shakedown loading a load that I knew was safe but wanted to get my feet wet ASAP. I decided to try two different powder charges on the 125's using small, FC, and large, REM, primed cases for a velocity comparison. As expected the Remingtons were a tad faster with the same powder charge.

Four groups shot and three were sub-MOA. This is the best one using the Sierra 125 Pro Hunter at 2500 FPS out of my 16" tube just coasting along. I shot some 150's for sighters but five bullets is not exactly a test.

161c1baa-c7f9-43b6-89d3-c1f2655cd58f_zps

This one would be a deer killer deluxe. I've seen this same bullet at this velocity take down several deer in Oklahoma back in the old days so I know it works. The rifle only weighs about 7.5 pounds so it is about like a light 30-30 in recoil. You know it is no 556 when you set it on the bench. Performance wise the rifle ran 100% from the magazine. As an aside it does make MAJOR for USPSA 3 Gun easily.

I plan on shooting about two dozen 125 loads this weekend for some data on various powders. I know some will be too slow and some will be fine but I have to find out for my own. After this I will shoot some 150's and following that some 130's and 110's.

BHW intends to offer factory loaded ammunition on this one and part of that development is finding what powders wil perform in the rifle and be loadable on a commercial machine. We handloaders can trickle and long drop tube them but manufacturing quantities rules that out.

Greg

Factory ammo will make this a must have. I better look for another upper.

Thank you for the update Greg.

Here is the picture you posted of the American 30 in an earlier thread compared to the 30 HRT.

AMERICAN30_zps4b6c0855.jpg

American 30, left. 30 HRT, right.

I have some Lapua .308, 123 gr. FMJ and .308, MK319 MOD 0 130 gr. OTMRP bullets that should work well with this cartridge.

Both shoot great out of my M1A Socom, But I think I can get more accuracy out of an AR platform.

I look forward to your updates as your research progresses.

Thanks again

Glenn

Edited by geepee3

Sounds very interesting Greg.

Thank you for the update Greg.

Here is the picture you posted of the American 30 in an earlier thread compared to the 30 HRT.

American 30, left. 30 HRT, right.

I have some Lapua .308, 123 gr. FMJ and .308, MK319 MOD 0 130 gr. OTMRP bullets that should work well with this cartridge.

Both shoot great out of my M1A Socom, But I think I can get more accuracy out of an AR platform.

I look forward to your updates as your research progresses.

Thanks again

Glenn

Thanks for the interest. The case is not quite the one that is in the picture. We are on the MK IV version now...LOL

Greg

Thanks for the interest. The case is not quite the one that is in the picture. We are on the MK IV version now...LOL

Greg

So can we get pictures of the "MK IV" version?

How does it compare to the 30 HRT now?

Glenn

So can we get pictures of the "MK IV" version?

How does it compare to the 30 HRT now?

Glenn

No pictures to release yet. Longer than the HRT and taller in the shoulder. Capacity of a regular HRT is right at 35 grains of H20. The A-30 is around 37.5 or so.

Greg

Thank you for the information Sir.

Please keep us updated as things progress.

Glenn

Barrel length?

Mine 16 Ritch's is 20.

Greg

Went out Sunday and took the A-30 along to stretch its legs. I wanted a baseline on several powders and also to see if the primer choice made a difference in overall velocity and grouping. 27 different combinations were tried with nine powders. Nine of these I repeated with different primers giving me a total test batch of 36 distinctive loads. Regular primer used was the Remington 7 1/2 with the CCI 450's being used as a substitute primer in the nine loads. 125 Sierra Pro Hunters and formed FC brass were used. Velocities out of the 16" BHW barrel were anywhere from mild to a bit over 2600. I'm still waiting on the Holy Grail 1680 and RL7 powders.

Here's half a dozen groups for your perusal.

125PHAA22301001_zps1453dcaa.jpg

125PHAA22302001_zps6ba9e6a8.jpg

125PHIMR4198001_zps112988ed.jpg

And everyone has a wallet group to carry around so here's what's in my wallet!!

125PHH335001_zps480c1837.jpg

I found the rifle ran 100% with all loads tested. I found the CCI primers were a tad faster but the groups appeared to open up a bit. I also determined that many powders make for a full case but some good powders left plenty of room for a bit of increase as my pressures were very good. Next up will be some 150's followed by the 110's and my favorite 130's.

Greg

Looking good Greg!

Thank you for the update.

Glenn

OK, am I reading this correctly.... 6.8 SPC II brass, 30 Herrett dies set off the shell holder...

What is the trim-to length? Greg, can you reveal the specs for the case dimensions?

OK, am I reading this correctly.... 6.8 SPC II brass, 30 Herrett dies set off the shell holder...

What is the trim-to length? Greg, can you reveal the specs for the case dimensions?

You read right. 1.620.

Greg

OK, now this is a cartridge I am very interested in. 30 cal in a standard AR. I picked up a nice barely used set of Pacific 30 Herret dies today....

Since you've been playing with the location of the shoulder how far off the shell plate should I shim the dies to get my shoulder in the right place? Of course I do not have a barrel... When will the barrel be available from BHW?