AR15Armory.com

AMERICAN 30 Bigger and Better

GLShooter

OK, now this is a cartridge I am very interested in. 30 cal in a standard AR. I picked up a nice barely used set of Pacific 30 Herret dies today....

Since you've been playing with the location of the shoulder how far off the shell plate should I shim the dies to get my shoulder in the right place? Of course I do not have a barrel... When will the barrel be available from BHW?

It will vary from press to press based on the height of the shell holder. I am using new Hornady dies and a Redding holder. I believe mine was aound 0.90 but I haven't actually measured it. Oddly enough I was thinking of doing that tonight. Don't fret about it. Carl is designing a tool to help you get the dies set that he wants to send with each barrel.

My guess less than 30 days.

Greg

I acquired two sets of RCBS an original set of TC dies made by Pacific and the Hornadys.

Thanks again Greg. I'm thinking one of these barrels is going to be my Christmas gift to me this year.

If you need anything you know where to look. We have shot a lot of bullets and are still shooting more. We'll have a good handle for loading parameters.

Greg

The question for me is which one of these fantastic wildcat round is going to get enough backing to go mainstream.

We have had the 6.8, the 300 Blkout, .458 Socom, what's next?

Opinion?

The BLK will be a fringe feeder as it is now. Non-suppressed it gives very little other than the barrel swap convenence but I just don't see it. SAAMI helps it in marketing but to me it just deosn't have the horsepower.

The SOCOM will maybe go but it is too expensive for guys to shoot and unless it goes SAAMI it will always be a fringe cartridge no matter what the annoited say. There was rumor of SAAMI doing it this summer/fall and not a peep that I have heard.

The 6.8 and Grendel are certainly going head to head with the 6.8 edging for hunting in most scenarios. Being SAAMI speced they both get lots of play.

The question is which of the BHW cartidges will go mainstream. Set back and watch. I put a bet in at the window several months ago. I see a couple of candidates. I think the big issue with the 6.8 based cases is we need a good bolt gun to hit market and stay there. The SPC II issue, I believe, killed the 6.8 as a great deal of guys want to go hotter and faster than the SAAMI set up and the gun producers won't ream for it IMHO.

Factory loaded ammuntion is a plus and the 6X6.8 is available now and the American 30 will be shortly.

Greg

Opinion?

The BLK will be a fringe feeder as it is now. Non-suppressed it gives very little other than the barrel swap convenence but I just don't see it.

The SOCOM will maybe go but it is too expensive for guys to shoot and unless it goes SAAMI it will always be a fringe cartridge no matter what the anoited say. There was rumor of SAAMI doing it this /summer/fall and not a peep that I have heard.

The 6.8 and Grendel are certainly going head to head with the6.8 edging for hunting in most scenarios. Being SAAMI speced they get lots of play.

The question is which of the BHW cartidges will go mainstream. Set back and watch. I put a bet in at the window several months ago. I see a couple of candidates. I think the big issue with the6.8 based cases is we need a god bolt gun to hit market and stay there. The SPC II issue, I believe, killed the 6.8 as a great deal of guys want to go hotter and faster than the SAAMI set up and the gun producers won't ream for it IMHO.

Factory loadsed ammuntion is a plus and the 6X6.8 is available now and the American 30 wil be shortly.

Greg

Thanks Greg.

I am glad you posted in the other forum...this might make break out some money for a new barrel and ditch the 300BLK. The 300BLK is an option for me because I live in the piney woods of SE Texas. Most shots hunting feral pigs would be 50-100 yards. Which is why I went with that cartridge here. That is within its performance limitations. Plus it can be used in an AR 15 vs a bolt action. Ill be watching this :bye: I like what I see so far. I might have to bust the wallet open for a 20" BHW barrel :surrender:

Well hell....just found out about the American 30 yesterday from bud Flesh Wound and my 300BLK barrel arrived yesterday. This throws a monkey wrench in my plans for a 30 cal AR15. Anyone interested in a 16" 300BLK 1x8 Midweight Melonite Nitride barrel? Never opened...still in shipping package.

Well hell....just found out about the American 30 yesterday from bud Flesh Wound and my 300BLK barrel arrived yesterday. This throws a monkey wrench in my plans for a 30 cal AR15. Anyone interested in a 16" 300BLK 1x8 Midweight Melonite Nitride barrel? Never opened...still in shipping package.

Manufacturer?

Well guys

next week BHW is off to Northern Idaho to do a little Elk hunting and ballistics research. We are taking along the American 30 which has been built into a sniper rife for a bit of long range hunting, wish us luck

Master Yoda

Best of luck to you.

I hope to see a few pictures.

Especially of the "sniper rifle"..... And a few elk to go with it.

Good hunting!

Glenn