AR15Armory.com

AMERICAN 30 Bigger and Better

GLShooter

I finally got back out to the desert yesterday. I had loaded these up late last week but timing was just not right for a trip. I decided to try the same powders and charges on these loads as I had used previously on the Hornady 150's all these were shot with the Sierra Pro Hunters. Magazine fed. Twice fired FC brass. Five powders at three charge weights were shot.

The weather was the same temperature in the low 80's. I did notice that the velocities of the Sierras tended to be the same or in a couple of cases notably higher than the Hornady. Same powders etc. so the only notable changes that were different was the shank of the bullet is 0.040 longer in the PH's and distance from the lands was 0.034 less on the Sierras so perhaps between the two some pressure variations were in play causing the variation. Speaking of weather I was dealing with extremely gusty winds that were swirling on me down between two good sized hills. My chronograph was blown over about six times and the target stand once. Not the best conditions but it wasn't snowing......LOL

I found the 1200 R produced a decent group again that was sliding along at 2331. Speeds are out of my 16" barrel so that is not to shabby as it is exceeding slightly he 30-30 even at this pedestrian rate out of 4" less barrel according to Hornady.

150SIERRAPH1200R001_zpsfcdf7f0f.jpg

As mentioned I tried five powders. Leverution, AA 2015, AA 2230, IMR 4198 and 1200 R. All powders seemed to do better under the Sierra across the board so I believe mine just likes the Green Box on this weight. The Hornadys will work but if I can shave a bit off the group and not give up the speed I'll do that every time.

With that in mind the darling of the day really didn't surprise me much. Once again it showed me that Accurate knows its way around a mixing tank. I had the AA 2015 that has been super in some of my uber-accurate 223 loadings over the years and on this combination it showed up bright and shiny. The BHW barrel seem to do better when you start stepping up the speeds and this one showed it for me. Velocities were smoking on this one with a best accuracy/best speed for the day at 2441. If I get this one barreled up in a 20" tube that would give me a calculated velocity right on 2575 or so. A good solid 250 FPS over the deer killer supreme 30-30. This one may well make a trip to Minnesota next year if I get a chance.

This is what I managed. I think a better condition day would have helped but these are keepers.

150SIERRAPH2015001_zps7660b04f.jpg

I just looked over the numbers and between three of us we have well over 100 documented loads shot down range on bullets from 110 to 150. We are just about there and with Carl going for an elk this next week we might have some more proof in the pudding. I'll probably shoot some 110's next week and see what they do wide open.

Greg

Thanks for sharing!

You sure you don't want a little more "punch" for elk??

Tons of elk have been killed with a 30-30 the old Krag and various handguns. Carl and I have some of the same pedigree. I think he can hit a softball at 200 and this one will do the job. It's no canyon shooter but I wouldn't hesitate at a reasonable range/shot.

Greg

Tons of elk have been killed with a 30-30 the old Krag and various handguns. Carl and I have some of the same pedigree. I think he can hit a softball at 200 and this one will do the job. It's no canyon shooter but I wouldn't hesitate at a reasonable range/shot.

Greg

Maybe you listed it some where. What's the energy at 100, 200 and 300 yards?

Maybe you listed it some where. What's the energy at 100, 200 and 300 yards?

Never posted it but I'll be your JBM fetcher.

150 @2600 ME 2251. ZERO 200

100. 2375. 1879. +2.34

200. 2163. 1558. 0.00

300. 1960. 1280. -9.81

And there's the rest of the story.

Greg

This looks very interesting.

It looks like the 150g drops fast after 300 yards

(Where does it go below 1k ft lbs?)

Also, what energy does the 125g offer at 100, 200, and 300 yards, and where does that bullet drop below 1k ft lbs

Lastly, do you think that this barrel will stabilize a subsonic?

Thanks in advance.

The 150 goes to about 430 yars at1000 Ft lbs The 125 goes 2098, 1640, 1266 and 962 at 300 with a start at 2750. These is no cross canyon cartridge nor is it supposed to be. JBM is your friend if you want to play what if.

I would want a 1:7 if goinng subsonic.

Greg

The 150 goes to about 430 yars at1000 Ft lbs The 125 goes 2098, 1640, 1266 and 962 at 300 with a start at 2750. These is no cross canyon cartridge nor is it supposed to be. JBM is your friend if you want to play what if.

I would want a 1:7 if goinng subsonic.

Greg

It looks like the 150 is the sweet bullet for the round

Lastly, and thanks for the input, what is the drop for the 150 at 430 ?

You may have a winner on your hand!

I'm saving mah pennies! I want one of these in 20"

Greg, do these benefit at all from a compensator or muzzle brake?

In a hunting environement I would not see any need. If I shot one in IPSC 3Gun then I would because of the need for rapid follow up. Recoil is ceratinly more than a 223 but not any worse than m,y other varaints shooting siimilar weight bullets. Very few of my barrels are comped any more.

Greg

In a hunting environement I would not see any need. If I shot one in IPSC 3Gun then I would because of the need for rapid follow up. Recoil is ceratinly more than a 223 but not any worse than m,y other varaints shooting siimilar weight bullets. Very few of my barrels are comped any more.

Greg

I've got a brake on my .308 and I LOVE it!!

Shoots soft as a babies butt!