NugginFutz

Another BHW Shooter

Looks good! I must admit though, I'm not a fan of anything UTG. :-/

I'd heard from a few people who didn't care for UTG products because of their lineage going back to air soft products. In fact, I wasn't even shopping UTG until I was handed one over the counter at the LGS. Whatever some people may say about the brand, I have to say I find nothing objectionable about this hand guard. It fit like a glove, was very easy to install. The way it indexes on the upper makes it quite straight and solid. A little loctite blue on the six screws should keep it firmly in place, until I decide otherwise.

The guard is extremely light, solid and well ventilated. It hit all the high points and the price was right, so what's not to like? In the event it melts in the sunlight or dissolves in the rain, I'll post a follow up, but I doubt it will come to that.

In the meantime, differn't strokes, and all that. I appreciate your kind words, and hope your next build goes as well as this one did.

I'd heard from a few people who didn't care for UTG products because of their lineage going back to air soft products. In fact, I wasn't even shopping UTG until I was handed one over the counter at the LGS. Whatever some people may say about the brand, I have to say I find nothing objectionable about this hand guard. It fit like a glove, was very easy to install. The way it indexes on the upper makes it quite straight and solid. A little loctite blue on the six screws should keep it firmly in place, until I decide otherwise.

The guard is extremely light, solid and well ventilated. It hit all the high points and the price was right, so what's not to like? In the event it melts in the sunlight or dissolves in the rain, I'll post a follow up, but I doubt it will come to that.

In the meantime, differn't strokes, and all that. I appreciate your kind words, and hope your next build goes as well as this one did.

Thanks for the info. Was this from their "PRO" line?

BTW, you're really making me want that damned barrel...... :bignono:

Thanks for the info. Was this from their "PRO" line?

I had to get home before I could answer this, as I didn't pay any attention to that when I ordered. Yes, it is from their Pro line. Full nomenclature is:

15 Inch Model 4/15, Super Slim Free Float, KeyMod compatible, Extended Rifle Length Rail System. Part # MTU019SSK.

"Operators are standing by!" I'm sure a call to BHW will get you started down the path to the Dark (Black Hole) Side. I'm going to the range, this weekend or next, to see how it likes the 68 and 75 grain Hornady BTHP's. I'm even going to run some SMK 69 grain pills through it for good measure. As it is, I've already got an excellent varmint load established. I'd like to see if I can find something similar in a heavier pill. :segrin:

Don't pull the new guy into your personal problems..... :hysterical3:

Greg

Well, I've finished a rather anti-climactic round of load testing for the 68 and 75 grain Hornady BTHP match bullets, but I'm not terribly disappointed, as I'd read where others had mixed luck with the 75 grain Hornady pills.

For those who are interested in such things, I've included the load results.

Shooting was done round robin, at 100 yards, with one shot of each charge per round. Temps were mild (50-60'F) and winds were 0-5 mph.

I tested two different powders, Varget and RL15. Following are the photo results. Target grids are 1/4 inch minor, with 1 inch major divisions.

First, Varget with the 68 gr. Hornady BTHP Match. There was one anomaly at 24.4 grains, where the average MV was low. Not sure what that was, as I'd already taken down the second chrony I had used to confidence check the one I used for the series. This was a shame, because the loads @ 24.6 and 24.8 showed some promise. I'll need to revisit that load region, at a later date.

Slide2_zpsa41dd931.jpg

Next, Varget with the 75 gr. Hornady BTHP Match. An interesting point to note is that this barrel was shooting substantially higher POI at lower charge levels than it did with the higher. As the charge levels increased, the POI shifted downward, closer to POA. This series caught me quite off guard, as you can see the hits all started quite a bit higher than the 68 grain pills had. (Yeah, I know - sloppy not to preface the series with sighters from the same initial load.)

Slide3_zps981a5af9.jpg

Lastly, the RL15. Left column is the 68 grain Hornady, right column is the 75 grain pill. I only ran the highest 5 charges of RL, as I'd seen the results with Varget indicating that the slower pills were not happy and time was getting short. One small item of note - the first two shots of the 75 grain groups were so far left that I made a mid-series windage correction of 1.25 moa. To account for this, I overlaid two windage corrected virtual shots to represent the first two outliers.

Slide4_zpsd18a5e2b.jpg

Neither Varget or RL15 turned up any groups that were similar to that of the 55 grain pills this barrel apparently enjoys. To emphasize the point, I shot another group of the 55 grain Nossler BTV's - this time a string of 5.

Slide1_zps1e0a6b3e.jpg

Paster is 3/4" inch diameter. This wonderful barrel proved once again it can deliver the goods.

Thanks, once more, to BHW and crew for producing these fantastic barrels.

Very nice writeup! Seems similar results to mine with the 75 grain pills. You should load up some SMK 77 and 69 grain. I think you'll like the results :wink:

Don't pull the new guy into your personal problems..... :hysterical3:

Greg

You don't expect me to take responsibility myself now do you??? :lol:

You don't expect me to take responsibility myself now do you??? :lol:

Well yes, yes I do.......

Greg

Something I noticed. Looks like the 68's like to run right at 2820 out of you barrel.

I wonder if that could be reproduced with a 3rd powder?

I noticed that, as well. I intend to revisit that MV range, and see if the node is wide enough to pursue. It sure would be nice to have a pill heavier than the 55's to run out past 600 yards. I have quite a bit of 8208XBR and H322, so they would be my next logical candidates. Both have the capacity to move a 69 grain pill at least that fast.

Very nice writeup! Seems similar results to mine with the 75 grain pills. You should load up some SMK 77 and 69 grain. I think you'll like the results :wink:

Thanks. I have a few (~30-40) of the 69 SMK's, and need to get some 77 SMK's to check out. If I can get something in the 68 - 77 grain range to group well, I will definitely be a happy camper.

Been wondering what the BHW polygonal rifling was capable of in a 5.56... Looks pretty fine!

Well, I've finished a rather anti-climactic round of load testing for the 68 and 75 grain Hornady BTHP match bullets, but I'm not terribly disappointed, as I'd read where others had mixed luck with the 75 grain Hornady pills.

For those who are interested in such things, I've included the load results.

Shooting was done round robin, at 100 yards, with one shot of each charge per round. Temps were mild (50-60'F) and winds were 0-5 mph.

I tested two different powders, Varget and RL15. Following are the photo results. Target grids are 1/4 inch minor, with 1 inch major divisions.

First, Varget with the 68 gr. Hornady BTHP Match. There was one anomaly at 24.4 grains, where the average MV was low. Not sure what that was, as I'd already taken down the second chrony I had used to confidence check the one I used for the series. This was a shame, because the loads @ 24.6 and 24.8 showed some promise. I'll need to revisit that load region, at a later date.

Slide2_zpsa41dd931.jpg

Next, Varget with the 75 gr. Hornady BTHP Match. An interesting point to note is that this barrel was shooting substantially higher POI at lower charge levels than it did with the higher. As the charge levels increased, the POI shifted downward, closer to POA. This series caught me quite off guard, as you can see the hits all started quite a bit higher than the 68 grain pills had. (Yeah, I know - sloppy not to preface the series with sighters from the same initial load.)

Slide3_zps981a5af9.jpg

Lastly, the RL15. Left column is the 68 grain Hornady, right column is the 75 grain pill. I only ran the highest 5 charges of RL, as I'd seen the results with Varget indicating that the slower pills were not happy and time was getting short. One small item of note - the first two shots of the 75 grain groups were so far left that I made a mid-series windage correction of 1.25 moa. To account for this, I overlaid two windage corrected virtual shots to represent the first two outliers.

Slide4_zpsd18a5e2b.jpg

Neither Varget or RL15 turned up any groups that were similar to that of the 55 grain pills this barrel apparently enjoys. To emphasize the point, I shot another group of the 55 grain Nossler BTV's - this time a string of 5.

Slide1_zps1e0a6b3e.jpg

Paster is 3/4" inch diameter. This wonderful barrel proved once again it can deliver the goods.

Thanks, once more, to BHW and crew for producing these fantastic barrels.

Food for thought?

Obviously you have a rifle-length gas tube on a 22" barrel. Making reference to the 75gr Hornady HPBT: I think maybe you are using the wrong powder in your testing. For reference from a particular powder burn-rate chart (fast to slow): #157-H322 #164-BLC2 #182-Varget #198- RE15. Notice a lot of space (other powders) between H322 and RE15. I would bet if you try BLC2 with the 75's and not hammer them too hard you will find a 'sweet-spot'. I shoot moly-75's in a WhiteOak 18" (rifle-gas) 1x8 at moderate velocities and it works out pretty well..

Which bullet are the noslers exactly?? Don't know what BTV stands for! Lol.