NugginFutz

Another BHW Shooter

Food for thought?

Obviously you have a rifle-length gas tube on a 22" barrel. Making reference to the 75gr Hornady HPBT: I think maybe you are using the wrong powder in your testing. For reference from a particular powder burn-rate chart (fast to slow): #157-H322 #164-BLC2 #182-Varget #198- RE15. Notice a lot of space (other powders) between H322 and RE15. I would bet if you try BLC2 with the 75's and not hammer them too hard you will find a 'sweet-spot'. I shoot moly-75's in a WhiteOak 18" (rifle-gas) 1x8 at moderate velocities and it works out pretty well..

H322 is definitely on the fast side for the 75 gr bullets, and was avoided for that reason. BLC2 is being distributed by Unicorns in my area, and has been unavailable. I'd also like to give a few other powders a try, but need to wait until a reasonable supply can be anticipated. It makes little sense to me to develop a load for either powder or bullets that I can seldom find.

Which bullet are the noslers exactly?? Don't know what BTV stands for! Lol.

They are the 55 gr Spitzer Ballistic Tip Varmint pills - roughly equivalent to the Hdy VMax.

Been wondering what the BHW polygonal rifling was capable of in a 5.56... Looks pretty fine!

Thanks!

Wonder no more. It has raised eyebrows at the range on several occasions, and has always done its job. (Wish I could say the same for the nut behind the trigger.)

H322 is definitely on the fast side for the 75 gr bullets, and was avoided for that reason. BLC2 is being distributed by Unicorns in my area, and has been unavailable. I'd also like to give a few other powders a try, but need to wait until a reasonable supply can be anticipated. It makes little sense to me to develop a load for either powder or bullets that I can seldom find.

They are the 55 gr Spitzer Ballistic Tip Varmint pills - roughly equivalent to the Hdy VMax.

I might have to try to find me some of those bullets!

You mean these?

http://www.nosler.com/varmageddon-bullet/

If so, then your gun likes the same thing as mine!!

The 55gr flat based ballistic tips shoot awesome from my 18" BHW as well as from an 18" ARP barrel.

I have used both 8298xbr and cfe223 with great results.

I bought 1000 of them from SPS that were 2nds. They had a cannalure but that's the only difference I have seen!

You mean these?

http://www.nosler.com/varmageddon-bullet/

If so, then your gun likes the same thing as mine!!

The 55gr flat based ballistic tips shoot awesome from my 18" BHW as well as from an 18" ARP barrel.

I have used both 8298xbr and cfe223 with great results.

I bought 1000 of them from SPS that were 2nds. They had a cannalure but that's the only difference I have seen!

Close, but no.

http://shop.nosler.com/nosler-bullets/ballistic-tip-varmint/ballistic-tip-varmint-22-caliber-55-grain-bullet-1000ct.html

These are spitzer based, in their Varmint line of pills. I'd been shooting the flat based 55 VMax in another rifle, but the supply dried up a couple years ago. As a result, I bought 1K of the Noslers and met with good success in finding a load - both in the other rifle and now in this BHW tube. I wish that I'd bought more of the Noshers at the time because the price is up quite a bit since then.

Edited by NugginFutz

Close, but no.

http://shop.nosler.com/nosler-bullets/ballistic-tip-varmint/ballistic-tip-varmint-22-caliber-55-grain-bullet-1000ct.html

These are spitzer based, in their Varmint line of pills. I'd been shooting the flat based 55 VMax in another rifle, but the supply dried up a couple years ago. As a result, I bought 1K of the Noslers and met with good success in finding a load - both in the other rifle and now in this BHW tube. I wish that I'd bought more of the Noshers at the time because the price is up quite a bit since then.

Thanks for the link. I especially like that they are boat tail, as they will be easier to load than flat based bullets can be.

So are they the 50 gr you linked to, or the 55 gr??

Just ordered 500 of the 55gr from Midway!

Hope to duplicate your load! :thumb:

So are they the 50 gr you linked to, or the 55 gr??

I'd copied the link to the 55 grains, but it kept popping up the 50's. Dunno...

Anyway, good luck with your loads. Mine are done on a LNL progressive.

BLC2 is being distributed by Unicorns in my area, and has been unavailable.

Here is a UNICORN:http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

Here are the BULLETS:http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1165559619/hornady-match-bullets-22-caliber-224-diameter-75-grain-hollow-point-boat-tail

Edited by bergermeister

I'd copied the link to the 55 grains, but it kept popping up the 50's. Dunno...

Anyway, good luck with your loads. Mine are done on a LNL progressive.

They just showed up on the doorstep yesterday. Now to find the time to put the BHW build together and load up some rounds!

Well, I've had time to characterize my newest BHW barrel, and the results are nothing less than fantastic. (Was there any doubt?)

After break in (groups were already promising), and a few seasoning shots (groups continued to improve), I worked up some loads. One that the barrel really favors is the following:

Powder: 24.5 gr H322

Bullet: 55 gr Nosler BTV, seated at a standard 2.250"

Brass: LC10

This group was shot @ 100 yards, last weekend, and I had to walk downrange to confirm all the shots were in the paper. Needless to say, I am ecstatic.

ETA: Diamond is 3/4" point to point.

e3d9d106-3885-48b3-ac18-8b0d6929a16d_zps

Group was shot off a Harris Bipod with rear bag.

Build Details:

BHW 22" SS Match Bull w/ Target Crown,

MI Gas Block,

RGuns NiB Upper,

Spikes Tactical BCG,

RR NM 2-stage Trigger,

CMMG lower.

Ace M4 SOCOM stock (9.5 - 11.5"),

Magpul Grip,

Model 1 Vented/Knurled FF Hand Guard,

Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40 w/ Burris PEPR mount.

Very minimal investment for something that shoots so well.

Below is the dandy that did the deed...

BHW556atrange_zps1d4a4689.jpg

BHW556_zps954c11e2.jpg

Well, I've finished a rather anti-climactic round of load testing for the 68 and 75 grain Hornady BTHP match bullets, but I'm not terribly disappointed, as I'd read where others had mixed luck with the 75 grain Hornady pills.

For those who are interested in such things, I've included the load results.

Shooting was done round robin, at 100 yards, with one shot of each charge per round. Temps were mild (50-60'F) and winds were 0-5 mph.

I tested two different powders, Varget and RL15. Following are the photo results. Target grids are 1/4 inch minor, with 1 inch major divisions.

First, Varget with the 68 gr. Hornady BTHP Match. There was one anomaly at 24.4 grains, where the average MV was low. Not sure what that was, as I'd already taken down the second chrony I had used to confidence check the one I used for the series. This was a shame, because the loads @ 24.6 and 24.8 showed some promise. I'll need to revisit that load region, at a later date.

Slide2_zpsa41dd931.jpg

Next, Varget with the 75 gr. Hornady BTHP Match. An interesting point to note is that this barrel was shooting substantially higher POI at lower charge levels than it did with the higher. As the charge levels increased, the POI shifted downward, closer to POA. This series caught me quite off guard, as you can see the hits all started quite a bit higher than the 68 grain pills had. (Yeah, I know - sloppy not to preface the series with sighters from the same initial load.)

Slide3_zps981a5af9.jpg

Lastly, the RL15. Left column is the 68 grain Hornady, right column is the 75 grain pill. I only ran the highest 5 charges of RL, as I'd seen the results with Varget indicating that the slower pills were not happy and time was getting short. One small item of note - the first two shots of the 75 grain groups were so far left that I made a mid-series windage correction of 1.25 moa. To account for this, I overlaid two windage corrected virtual shots to represent the first two outliers.

Slide4_zpsd18a5e2b.jpg

Neither Varget or RL15 turned up any groups that were similar to that of the 55 grain pills this barrel apparently enjoys. To emphasize the point, I shot another group of the 55 grain Nossler BTV's - this time a string of 5.

Slide1_zps1e0a6b3e.jpg

Paster is 3/4" inch diameter. This wonderful barrel proved once again it can deliver the goods.

Thanks, once more, to BHW and crew for producing these fantastic barrels.

So you got one hole groups with BOTH 24.0 and 24.5 grains of H322?

yup. :D:

Separate loads, yes. I was shooting up the rest of a 100 ct. box of 24.0 grain loads which had been developed for another barrel.

Edited by NugginFutz

yup. :D:

Separate loads, yes. I was shooting up the rest of a 100 ct. box of 24.0 grain loads which had been developed for another barrel.

(Rubs hands eagerly together)

(Rubs hands eagerly together)

Yep. I think I have some H322 at the house.