pasttense

looking for a go to Load.

So my 18 inch 6X45 BHW barrel is easy to load for was easy to tune the cycling for and kills clay pigeons at a hundred yards off hand with out any real effort. but does not seem as happy as the 6mmLBC which just loves to stack holes on top of one another. The 6X45 stacks up 3 holes and spreds the rest around. I Load mag length only. On hand powders include 8208, RL15, IMR4895, H335, Tac, I like to shoot in the 85 to 90 gr. range.

Paul

What have you tried?

We have to know where we will start at the beginning if we want to reach a destination for our journey.

Greg

Recent loads have been H335, 85gr sierra hpbt. @24.3 to 25 gr. both start out well but instead of blowing up to a .75" group they tend to go to 1.5" or 2.". I have also run several powders with 55gr Nosler balistic tips but they just get good and then the next time out they don't shoot. Cleaning regimen is one patch with a few drops of Kroil on it and a Remington bore squeegee then a dry patch . The 6LBC loves this routine. I have run a few groups with 8208 in the 25.gr range. all the Hodgon data indicates compressed loads at a longer length. not sure where the common sense barrier is there.

I'll look my data over Thursday.

Greg

Howdy All :

Since no one seems to have a solution. I loaded a ladder of 8208, 85gr sierra hpbt rem 7,1/2 primers . Started at 24.2gr up to 26gr all loaded to 2.260". I will let you know what happens.

Paul

That ladder test is going from close to MAX to way over MAX. BE CAREFULL PM me your email address and I will send you more data than you could shoot in one barrel.

Today I went out and shot the ladder test mentioned above. I did this after taking a look at all the data I have available. This includes the Buckammo PDF. Reading the Buck ammo legend and comments, along with Rich"s admonishment "That ladder test is going from close to MAX to way over MAX. BE CAREFULL" along with our previous discussion about the 243LBC. I double checked and reprinted the Hodgon data. thier loads are 2.360" COL and 8208 runs from 23.5 gr to 26.5gr.. A fair amount of my brass was purcased as once fired lake city factory reloaded to 5.56 specs. that along with a fair number of reloadings made case head expansion unreliable,(about 50% of the 24.2gr loads measured larger by 0.0001" than the 26gr loads). In my experience primers are not the most reliable indicators either. That being said they usually flatten progressivly, and indicate problems. today they indicated no problems and maintained a good radius and unflattened area. I think I have found my load. It is in excess of what the Buck ammo PDF recomends so I won't list it. It is >3% below Hodgons max. Although I think the gun is capable of consistent sub MOA accuracy, probably about 0.600"s it is so much easier to shoot the ACE stocked Billet receivered 24" monstrosity of a 243.LBC I built in any position except modern unbladed offhand, that this one will get an ACE skeieton stock of its own ASAP. For now the 24X scope comes off and the 1X4 Burris MTAC goes on it . and I will be running some numbers to confirm or help verify what distances the existing marks hit at.

Paul

So today I went out and got some new unfired winchester brass. Funny how un-fired brass has more variation at the expansion ring than fired brass. Anyway I sorted out a quantity by measurement. Will load , shoot and remeasure. I will let you know what happens.

Paul

My go to 85g SGKHP antelope load is 24.3g H335 and prints right at .600" @ 100 yds. 2692 fps

24", 1/10" twist SS Mcgowan bbl.

My COL is 2.280" in my bolt gun & 2.250 in my AR15s.

All the loads below are shot from my Savage 6x45 builds.

80g ttsx, 24.3g h335, 2955 fps

85g Nosler PT, 24.3g h335, 2682 fps

95g NHBT, 24.2g h335, 2517 fps...........This is my #1 antelope load, very accurate in both 6x45 rigs.

87g vmax, 25g h335, 2810 fps

87g vmax, 27g blc2, 2792 fps

80g speer, 25.3g h335, 2983 fps

24" BHW 1/10" PS bbl

85g SGKHP, 24.3g h335....2790fps

80g ttsx 24.3 h335, 2682 fps

95g NHBT, 24.1g h335...2545 fps

55g nbt, 27g exterm, 3367 fps

65g vmax, 27g exterm, 3271 fps

Not one sign of over pressure on all these loads in my gun.

All these loads print under .700" or less at 100yds.....in my rigs, all 24" bbls.

A few of my 80-87g bullet loads were right at 3000 fps also, but primers were a bit flat, so I backed down after testing.All the 80-95 g loads will drop an antelope at 400 yards. I wont shoot one farther than that due to energy dropping fast past that, but they will be good to 700 yards on steel/paper easy since I run them from 100-700 yards at the range

Last months and prior years antelope were all dropped 1 shot from 80-344 yards out here.

I do not weight any of my brass & most is mixed w/at least 8 different military/commercial brands, just load & shoot.

I only keep brands separate after reloading.

Other 80-95g powders that give super accuracy.

blc2

Varget

w748

EX-terminator

x8208

Benchmark...55-65g loads.

H4198...55-65g loads.

Edited by 5spd

Hey 5spd:

Thanks for the info. H335 and I just do not see eye to eye. 24.3 gr is the Sierra Manual accuracy load. I shoot 3 shot groups with it and I get about 0.400" but 5 shot groups last fired went 1.5" I tried shooting 2 other rifles as a check with known good loads and they both shot to about my potential, 0.5" any way all the fuss is due to the Buck ammo data for 8208 being calculated not shot. The Hodgon's Data is shot but not at 2.260 OAL. 2.350" I think. My new cases showed the same case head expansion for the 25gr load of H335 (Sierra Manual Max loaded at 2.260") as 26gr of 8208. however 26.1 gr of 8208 increased expansion by 2 tenths. that much difference (a 30% increase of expansion for 4 tenths of a percent increase in powder charge said back off). none of the primers would have alarmed anyone. The H335 is running single digit S.D.. It just does not want to shoot. I will try the 24.3gr again maybe it was just me. My barrel is an 18" BHW1in9twist AR 25grs of h335 put it right at 2700fps. for the moment my accuracy node on the 8208 came at about 25.1gr so I will pursue that and bring the chronograph again.

Well:

I will close the door on load development for the 18" std weight barrel. I do not possess the ability to place the right amount of concentration on shooting 5 rnd groups with this firearm. My advice is if you need an 18" barrel , make it a bull barrel. or be a younger shooter. Today I watched 1/4" groups open to well over an inch on the 5th shot. in spite of this I got several groups under 1.000" but no real bragging groups. since I have plenty of 8208 I will be using that at 25.1 gr and an 85gr bullet as my go to. the rifle will receive a Burris 1-4 Tac scope and will be kept close by once it has the distances at which it hits confirmed. since the 243 LBC will let me choose which eye to shoot a gopher in. this one will be for bigger stuff. by the way I got a sub 1" group with the H335 at 24.3 grains as well but I don't have a lot of it to use.

Thanks for the Help

Paul